Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here
View Poll Results: A poll
Smart Fly Ign Kill Switch
41.88%
Choke Servo
17.80%
42% Prod Ign Kill Switch
21.99%
Other...PLease Explain
18.32%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 PM
willig10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

I have 2 options that I like to use.

1. servo operated choke.
2. optical kill switch. Look to the upper right side of the cockpit for the light. (it is off and engine will not start).

Redundancy although not needed is nice because you never know when you will need it.

Glenn Williams
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44931.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1665521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28053.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1665522  
Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 PM
mwhar760
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

you forgot to mention the use both of them part !!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:09 PM
hkusp45
My Feedback: (9)

WRC Wike R/C Products Optical Gas Ignition Cutoff
From Troy built models. I have it in three of my planes. No problems here.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No optical ignition switches....anymore. When you've done this stuff for as long as I and some others have, you find or invent ways of making your set ups reliable enough that they don't warrant an "OH SH*T" button.

As a former retailer I did install and use them (multiple manufacturers), I felt I should use what we sold to prove others could confide in them. I've always felt they were an unnecessary added complexity that could in itself cause the desire for the aforementioned button. For me a throttle kill is all that has ever been needed and all that I use anymore.

If one hasn't the knowledge, experience, or desire to build their set ups in a manner that makes optical ignition switches redundant then I do support their use. If I were forced by rule to have a second means of remotely shutting down my engine I would use a choke servo.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RTK uses choke servos and does well with them. OTH, when I fly his planes there always comes that moment of silence right after I flipped the wrong rate switch.....[X(]
Old 09-22-2011, 09:06 PM
jedijody

LMAO, I remember us both watching a similaroccurrence a couple years back in Saint Helens involving an.........optical ignition switch!

It was the most beautiful dead stick hammer head from 30 ft.above the runwayI've ever seen.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: jedijody

No optical ignition switches....anymore.
So, what you posted just a short while back (below) is no longer valid?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10708251

I fly Airtronics SD10-G, I have three 50cc planes with 8 ch, 92824 Rx's in them and one 100cc plane with the 10 ch Rx. All have optical ignition switches plugged into ch 5. Three of the four are Rcexl switches, the other is a 42% Products switch, all work flawlessly. Look at this test done at the Rcexl factory, http://www.rccdi.com/news/Accessories/10.html

Not sure what the problem might be, these switches are extremely reliable.
You've since yanked all of yours out?

If one hasn't the knowledge, experience, or desire to build their set ups in a manner that makes optical ignition switches redundant then I do support their use.
Therein lies the beauty of personal choice, whereby those of us with the knowledge & experience can choose to use ign kills
regardless of the negative views of a few against them. Those of us using these ign kills have reasons just as valid for their
useage, as those who think otherwise.

I have all my gassers setup whereby I don't NEED ign kills, yet I still have & use them.
It's simply a matter of personal choice!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:12 AM
jedijody

[quote]ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

No optical ignition switches....anymore.
So, what you posted just a short while back (below) is no longer valid?

[quote]

Only the high lighted portion is no longer valid, everything else still is.

[quote]ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10708251

I fly Airtronics SD10-G, I have three 50cc planes with 8 ch, 92824 Rx's in them and one 100cc plane with the 10 ch Rx. All have optical ignition switches plugged into ch 5. Three of the four are Rcexl switches, the other is a 42% Products switch, all work flawlessly. Look at this test done at the Rcexl factory, http://www.rccdi.com/news/Accessories/10.html

Not sure what the problem might be, these switches are extremely reliable.
You've since yanked all of yours out?

[quote]

Didn't yank them out, I carefully removed them.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:40 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

(added fourth method)

I like having a optical throttle kill switch AND a choke servo... in fact I just had installed a choke servo on a WWI warbird (no ignition kill though).

I like during the initial start of being able to choke it a bit then turn off the choke with ability to immediately choke a bit more. I really like being able to shut down the engine using the kill switch... no throttle trim adjustments, just pull the switch. Yes I am aware of the switch potentially being a problem in the air. I am careful with the dual rate switches to avoid this. I wish the radios would come with a switch with an arming cover to prevent accidentally shutting down.

I have my engine "properly" set up and can shut it down in four ways. In preferred order of shutdown I use 1.) kill switch, 2.) Manual ignition switch, 3.) throttle trim, and 4.) Choke. No throttle springs (spring remains on carb) or stop screws (never again). I use the PSP Manuf servo arms to put the carburetor connection exactly where it makes for the simplest connection to my servos. I keep all of my throttle/choke linkages as simple as possible. I have the radio fail safe settings set and working.

I also drill my muffler socket bolt heads and wire the heads to prevent a muffler coming loose. A muffler coming loose or falling off can cause a run away engine condition.

It has taken a while to arrive at this scheme... complex?? I don't think so... redundancy?? Yes x3, but these engines are capable of doing a lot of damage.

I would much rather spend money for these items than explain why I lost control of my plane and injured someone. I probably spend as much on safety as some spend on an entire plane. So Be It.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:57 AM
hbutler

I've recently purchased a spark switch from duralite. Has a cool feature that requires a switch sequence to kill the engine. That will prevent those accedential kills due to dumb thumbs. I haven't actually flown it yet. Additionally there was an update to this product...

I've also had good luck with wike's product.

https://duraliteflightsystems.com/in...product_id=282
Old 09-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I don't see what the issue is about adding the kill switch to a spring loaded switch, if you hit it release it before the engine stops turnig and your back in business.
Most newer radios has such a switch that can be programed to work on about any extra channel.

I also have 3 ways of shutting down my gasser engines, the one main thing nobody has said a word about is interference, and yes it can happen on the very best of the best 2.4 systems. All this talk about landing or flying a deador runaway plane down is great providing you still have control over the plane, but in a case of RF chances are you won't then what ??
You can't control the plane what makes one think they can shut off the engine by a return spring, or a choke servo almost every RF hit I have seen the throttle went wide open not closed.
Chances are less with a 2.4 but still can happen, I had a plug cap start to work a little bit and bang I was getting hit big time, lucky enough I was able to stut it down and land W/O any issues.
Buying the best of the best does improve on ones confidence, but in no way does it rule out component failures with can happen to any and all. And alot goes to be said about good setups also I still set up a plane on 72 and if alls well then go to PCM or 2.4
Nuff said.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:46 AM
willig10

My personal opinion is that the optical kill switch was fine until Airtronics came out with their bulletin about it being the cause of interference and then later determined that it was not the optical kill switch.

Listen my 2 pennies in this debate are real simple. If you build your airplane to have a kill switch you ought to know what switch you have it programmed on in the first place. If you inadvertantly hit the kill switch that you programmed it for then maybe you ought to get to know your radio better. Just saying.

I firmly believe in safety and as such adding redundancy to your aircraft is a good thing. Many times over the years we have all heard the same song and dance of "nope dont need it" in some form or fashion. Only to have something go amiss later on. It happens on full scale aircraft and it happens on RC aircraft.

I also believe that anything worth doing is worth doing right and a 15.00 switch is worth it;s weight in gold when you need it and dont have it.

Again this is my opinion and to each his own. However as for me and my aircraft it will have 4 means of being able to kill the engine. 3 in the air and 1 on the ground.

1. throttle trim
2. Choke
3. Ooptical kill switch
4. Ignition switch (ground operated)

Regards
Glenn Williams
Old 09-23-2011, 07:06 AM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

To each their own. I have not witnessed an occasion where redundancy was not worth it with gasoline engines and/or large models. Having seen firsthand throttle servos fail, throttle linkages fail, throttle springs fail, engine box failures, ect. I use an optical kill with my gassers. I don't recall ever having an optical switch failure...perhaps many years ago...no, I can't recall a failure, ever. We all know how efficient gasoline engines are, so do you feel like flying it till the tank is dry? Really? That scenario is far more likely than an optical switch failure.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Opto is the way to go!! On my mag I use the carb kill method. I ust it on all of my planes.. Always nice to have a back up!!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 AM
warbird72

But keep in mind that not all carbs can kill with just the throttle!! Some carb butterflys have a notch cut in them and it wolnt allow you to kill it with the throttle..So you would have to use the choke and or the opto kill unit.. But like said above unless it's a weed eater You will probley not even have to worry about doing the carb kill mod..
Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 AM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: willig10

Listen my 2 pennies in this debate are real simple. If you build your airplane to have a kill switch you ought to know what switch you have it programmed on in the first place. If you inadvertantly hit the kill switch that you programmed it for then maybe you ought to get to know your radio better. Just saying.
LOL!!!

I haven't (yet) done that, but those having such issues can easily prevent such by simply marking that switch somehow.

I firmly believe in safety and as such adding redundancy to your aircraft is a good thing. Many times over the years we have all heard the same song and dance of ''nope dont need it'' in some form or fashion. Only to have something go amiss later on. It happens on full scale aircraft and it happens on RC aircraft.
Exactly right, and well said!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 AM
warbird72

syberwolff has a great point!! I would think it then it's going to be a total loss or something worse.. Great point!!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 AM
warbird72

I have the 7c 2.4.. I have all of my rates on The G switch.. I call it the git er done switch.. I then have my ignition kill on the A switch I say to my self ARMED. My choke in on my E switch..Engine..I memorize it by heart on every plane I have.. So I dont throw the wrong swith in flight.. I always use the 3 spot switch for my rates.. But sometimes it can get confuseing.. Just know your plane and your work..
Old 09-23-2011, 08:07 AM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

All this talk about landing or flying a deador runaway plane down is great providing you still have control over the plane, but in a case of RF chances are you won't then what ??
IF you have an (electronic) ign kill system and it's properly setup, then when signal is lost that kills the ignition.
If NO such ign kill, then about the time your model yard darts into the ground, you'll be wishing ya had an ign kill.

You could also setup your Tx/Rcv for F/S on the throttle channel.
Lots of choices available to us.

You can't control the plane what makes one think they can shut off the engine by a return spring, or a choke servo almost every RF hit I have seen the throttle went wide open not closed.
That return spring you mention refers to a loss of the throttle linkage, as in a breakage, or falling off.
In such cases, that return spring will close the throttle plate so that in the majority of cases the engine will die.
At the very least it'll go to a bare idle.

Buying the best of the best does improve on ones confidence, but in no way does it rule out component failures with can happen to any and all....................
Exactly right!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed on the Tech Aero Ultra IBEC. I've touted its benefits for 2 years. All I use and recommend
Old 09-23-2011, 08:42 AM
MTK

Agreed on the Tech Aero Ultra IBEC. I've touted its benefits for 2 years. All I use and recommend

OOOOPs duplicate
Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: willig10

My personal opinion is that the optical kill switch was fine until Airtronics came out with their bulletin about it being the cause of interference and then later determined that it was not the optical kill switch.

I firmly believe in safety and as such adding redundancy to your aircraft is a good thing. Many times over the years we have all heard the same song and dance of ''nope dont need it'' in some form or fashion. Only to have something go amiss later on. It happens on full scale aircraft and it happens on RC aircraft.

I also believe that anything worth doing is worth doing right and a 15.00 switch is worth it;s weight in gold when you need it and dont have it.

Again this is my opinion and to each his own. However as for me and my aircraft it will have 4 means of being able to kill the engine. 3 in the air and 1 on the ground.

1. throttle trim
2. Choke
3. Ooptical kill switch
4. Ignition switch (ground operated)

Regards
Glenn Williams
i put mine on either a slider switch or a knob...no accidents
Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 AM
mesaflyer

As for hitting the wrong switch and killing the engine, you could go this route http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10727092/tm.htm

Also, I can't tell you how many times I have seen guys at the field make a beautiful landing, taxi back to the engine shut down area, shut off the engine, and then retract the landing gear. This is usually followed by a few choice four letter words.

And to answer your pole, I just use the engine cut off button.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Tired Old Man

Anyone in this thread EVER consume an alcoholic beverage, or other intoxicating item, and then drive a motor vehicle? Kind of shoots all the allusions to safety in the foot, doesn't it?

I know better than to believe all the people in this thread conduct every aspect of their lives in an entirely safe manner. The real point is a lot of people are scared to death of using a gas engine, and for some reason thing they are more dangerous than a glow engine where they've spent most of their hobby time, where all they have is the idle trim cut off on their transmitters. I'm surprised some of you don't have a 10'x10' wire cage built around your lawnmowers and push it along from outside the cage. Probably lock your kids in the bathroom while the yard is getting mowed. Lord knows how you manage to deal with a weed eater.

For the record, if you encounter radio interference how will you deal with the kinetic energy released during the impact of a plane that's out of control? Figured out a way to mitigate that yet?

Ya'll can call it an increased level of safety if you want but there are more than a few out there that call it fear mongering and capitalism. I also fly full scale. You know how we kill that great big fan up front? We cut the fuel. Period. If people lack the knowledge and ability to install components correctly, or too cheap to purchase quality components that will perform effectively and efficiently, they should not be doing anything with a model plane. It's above their level.

OK, everyone can return to hiding from the blue sky now.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 AM
alb1661
My Feedback: (3)

TOM

I love your comments............Put a choke servo in andforgetaboutit!!!!!!

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.