Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here
View Poll Results: A poll
Smart Fly Ign Kill Switch
41.88%
Choke Servo
17.80%
42% Prod Ign Kill Switch
21.99%
Other...PLease Explain
18.32%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:10 AM
aussiesteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

RCPilot,

Of all the responses in this thread, I consider yours the most politically incorrect. ''tickle'' give me a break.

I (and I am sure among others) am sick and tired of the way T.O.M. treats others on RCU. No matter what he brings to the table, he is manipulative and condescending in his delivery.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmXri8ZCKjc[/link]
Old 09-25-2011, 05:40 AM
bruceal

Default RE: Emergency Engine Kill... Choke Servo or Opto-Ignition Kill from Transmitter

The prop that split was a Zinger 22x8 on a DLE 55.It split right along the grain. This was the second flight on a new plane. I didn't realize that Zinger's weren't as stiff as say a Xoar or NX. I got them from Tower along with the engine. Now I prefer carbon fiber. I'm not bashing Zinger, but I'll never buy one of those again. It just goes to show that anything can happen so you should take any precaution that you can. If I had the Opto Kill on, I could have saved a lot of damage to the firewall.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

RCPilot,

Of all the responses in this thread, I consider yours the most politically incorrect. ''tickle'' give me a break.
Then report it and let another mod look at it, instead of standing around whining about it.

I (and I am sure among others) am sick and tired of the way T.O.M. treats others on RCU. No matter what he brings to the table, he is manipulative and condescending in his delivery.
I direct you back to my original post on the subject of babysiting grown men.

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

Somebody opened a ticket for this thread.

I'm just not all that interested in being a baby sitter to a bunch of grown men. If you don't like it - then don't read it. Filter it. Use the information you like and disregard the rest. Are we not grown men here?

You could always apply to be a forum moderator. See attached picture. I'd love to see how well you handle wearing that T-shirt.

I'm done here unless somebody opens another ticket. You have fun now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88350.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1666026  
Old 09-25-2011, 08:32 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at all the redundant engine stop systems and decided throttle close + ignition opto kill to be the least weight and simplest Ron's use. Done. Will set up all my gasser's this way.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:33 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr Moderator,
Thanks for standing up for our First Amendment rights. If someone does not like what they hear or read, they should stop listening to or reading it. Dan Reiss.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

I was going to give Diablo's post a thumbs up but smileys are not working again.

I guess we know who started the ticket now....
Old 09-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: bruceal

The prop that split was a Zinger 22x8 on a DLE 55.It split right along the grain. This was the second flight on a new plane. I didn't realize that Zinger's weren't as stiff as say a Xoar or NX. I got them from Tower along with the engine. Now I prefer carbon fiber. I'm not bashing Zinger, but I'll never buy one of those again. It just goes to show that anything can happen so you should take any precaution that you can. If I had the Opto Kill on, I could have saved a lot of damage to the firewall.

A longitudinal blade split on a wood prop is often generated by over torque of the prop hub screws. This is something commonly seen with people using wood propellers. If you still have the prop I'll venture you'll note the prop's center hub has been repeatedly compressed by the prop washer, causing the incremental development of grain separation. If you have a deperession in the prop hub, you may have found the cause of the split. There is no reason to compress the hub of a wood prop where multi bolt hubs are used. A single bolt hub should have an indexing pins, or pins, to permit correct torque of the bolt or nut while preventing prop slippage. Unfortunately the use of indexing pins on single bolt hubs is a very rare thing. Many that did have them removed the pins to eliminate prop drilling.

Such a split can also be generated by a relatively minor tip strike during a botched landing. Any contact of the propeller with another hard object, engine running or not, should be cause for a very intense inspection of the propeller. I've split a prop just getting a plane through a door way while mildly catching the prop on the door jamb.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:12 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

Somebody opened a ticket for this thread.

I've read all 4 pages and every post. I don't agree with how some people handle - perceive - the information, but I also don't see any reason to edit or whack posts. Some guys tell it like it is and other guys don't like that because they'd rather the information was delivered with a tickle under their crotch. Me thinks a few of you are too PC and should just grow up and be men about it.

I'm just not all that interested in being a baby sitter to a bunch of grown men. If you don't like it - then don't read it. Filter it. Use the information you like and disregard the rest. Are we not grown men here?

My comments are not directed at the person who opened the ticket rather, they are directed at all of ya.

that was funny
Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I guess we know who started the ticket now....
I doubt that, think more along down under.[X(]
Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 AM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: All Day Dan

Mr Moderator,
Thanks for standing up for our First Amendment rights.........................
Dan Reiss.
Nope, wrong!
Such rights are about as useless as adding LLC to a business name.

Although RCU' physical assets are based in the USA, it's an internet based public forum and our
constitutional rights (of the USA) have ZERO bearing.

What does prevail are the RCU Forum Rules we ALL agreed to abide by
when we joined RCU
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/RCU_..._377662/tm.htm
Old 09-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Planeclothes

Oh, what the heck! I changed my mind...
Old 09-25-2011, 11:09 AM

I use the opti-kill.
Saying you accidentally hit it while flying is
much better than admitting to poor engine tuning skills,
or forgetting to fuel the tank.[X(]
Old 09-25-2011, 11:10 AM
RCVFR

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

I had a situation where on the second flight of the day I thought that I heard ''flutter.'' I immediately went to land, when I tried to throttle down I realized that I couldn't. Then all of the sudden I saw my muffler fall off ( I Loctite everything), the engine just ran at a high idle for a couple of minutes then quit. I was able to dead stick it in and when I looked I saw the problem. The wooden prop had split down the center of one of the blades and threw the engine out of balance and vibated the engine right off the firewall. All that kept the engine in the plane was the cowl and the throttle linkage. Now I use an Opto kill switch!
I'd be more interested in finding out why the prop split. Was there prior damage from a strike or was it damaged during mounting to the engine? What brand of prop? Flying prop blades are much more dangerous than an engine that won't shut down. If a blade comes off in the air, the engine may detach before you even hear it. No engine, very tail heavy......instant crash.
I had almost that scenario happen. Seagull 90 Edge, with an Alphabet 26cc engine (I won't name the engine, because the company has redesigned the subject part). In flight, the prop hub broke, sheared, came apart, and the 17X6 APC prop, metal spinner and prop shaft departed the aircraft, but not untill "several" severely out of balance rpms litterally shredded the interior structure from the firewall, back. The suddenly severely tail heavy plane was brought down to a conventional landing, and then I noticed the engine was still running! My throttle kill switch lowered the engine rpms, but with no work to do, the engine kept up a fast idle. I walked over to it and turned off the ignition switch.I replaced the faulty part, the engine runs fine. I don't think an opto kill switch would have made any difference in anything.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:36 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: RCVFR

I had a situation where on the second flight of the day I thought that I heard ''flutter.'' I immediately went to land, when I tried to throttle down I realized that I couldn't. Then all of the sudden I saw my muffler fall off ( I Loctite everything), the engine just ran at a high idle for a couple of minutes then quit. I was able to dead stick it in and when I looked I saw the problem. The wooden prop had split down the center of one of the blades and threw the engine out of balance and vibated the engine right off the firewall. All that kept the engine in the plane was the cowl and the throttle linkage. Now I use an Opto kill switch!
I'd be more interested in finding out why the prop split. Was there prior damage from a strike or was it damaged during mounting to the engine? What brand of prop? Flying prop blades are much more dangerous than an engine that won't shut down. If a blade comes off in the air, the engine may detach before you even hear it. No engine, very tail heavy......instant crash.
I had almost that scenario happen. Seagull 90 Edge, with an Alphabet 26cc engine (I won't name the engine, because the company has redesigned the subject part). In flight, the prop hub broke, sheared, came apart, and the 17X6 APC prop, metal spinner and prop shaft departed the aircraft, but not untill ''several'' severely out of balance rpms litterally shredded the interior structure from the firewall, back. The suddenly severely tail heavy plane was brought down to a conventional landing, and then I noticed the engine was still running! My throttle kill switch lowered the engine rpms, but with no work to do, the engine kept up a fast idle. I walked over to it and turned off the ignition switch.I replaced the faulty part, the engine runs fine. I don't think an opto kill switch would have made any difference in anything.

the engine stayed running with no prop?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Tired Old Man

They can, and have.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Planeclothes

I had almost that scenario happen. Seagull 90 Edge, with an Alphabet 26cc engine (I won't name the engine, because the company has redesigned the subject part). In flight, the prop hub broke, sheared, came apart, and the 17X6 APC prop, metal spinner and prop shaft departed the aircraft, but not untill ''several'' severely out of balance rpms litterally shredded the interior structure from the firewall, back. The suddenly severely tail heavy plane was brought down to a conventional landing, and then I noticed the engine was still running! My throttle kill switch lowered the engine rpms, but with no work to do, the engine kept up a fast idle. I walked over to it and turned off the ignition switch.I replaced the faulty part, the engine runs fine. I don't think an opto kill switch would have made any difference in anything.

You are right, an opto kill switch would not have changed the outcome in this case. But this is an extreme exception, not your average throttle servo or link failure, in which case a simple remote kill switch can make a hell of a difference.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 PM
RCVFR

[/quote]
You are right, an opto kill switch would not have changed the outcome in this case. But this is an extreme exception, not your average throttle servo or link failure, in which case a simple remote kill switch can make a hell of a difference.
[/quote]
You may be right, however, I have been flying gas since 1999, both magneto and electronic ignition and have never experienced a throttle servo or link failure. Not to say it can't happen, just what has been my experience.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Planeclothes

Well to me is like saying that just because I have been driving for more than 30 years without an accident I don't need seat belts and/or airbags. I had 2 throttle related failures in less than a year, enough to convince me. But to each his own.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:34 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Emergency Engine Kill is similar to the morning after pill
Old 09-25-2011, 10:56 PM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good analogy.

If one uses a good decision making process, adequate materials, proven methodology, proper preflight, and maintenance practices,the "pill" isn't necessary.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 PM
TimBle

I had almost that scenario happen. Seagull 90 Edge, with an Alphabet 26cc engine (I won't name the engine, because the company has redesigned the subject part). In flight, the prop hub broke, sheared, came apart, and the 17X6 APC prop, metal spinner and prop shaft departed the aircraft, but not untill "several" severely out of balance rpms litterally shredded the interior structure from the firewall, back. The suddenly severely tail heavy plane was brought down to a conventional landing, and then I noticed the engine was still running! My throttle kill switch lowered the engine rpms, but with no work to do, the engine kept up a fast idle. I walked over to it and turned off the ignition switch.I replaced the faulty part, the engine runs fine. I don't think an opto kill switch would have made any difference in anything.

??? The engine was at idle and you could not hear it....?
Do you have a hearing impairment? No disrespect meant. A valid question.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:17 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my point of view, this thing about T.O.M. appears to be all about control. Splashing testosterone around wanting to be the Alpha Dog. If that is not the case then you can simply hit the little red hand with the word "Block" beside it under one of his posts and you won't see what he has to say. Quite simply, Don't Read His Posts! Frankly, I'm man enough to just tell him so if I don't agree with him. Now we may have to agree to disagree but that's how things are in this world. It would be a real dull place to live if we all liked the same blond, wearing the same red dress, with the same stiletto heels, etc etc etc and vice-verse for the ladies points of view.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:17 AM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

From my point of view, this thing about T.O.M. appears to be all about control. Splashing testosterone around wanting to be the Alpha Dog. If that is not the case then you can simply hit the little red hand with the word ''Block'' beside it under one of his posts and you won't see what he has to say. Quite simply, Don't Read His Posts! Frankly, I'm man enough to just tell him so if I don't agree with him. Now we may have to agree to disagree but that's how things are in this world. It would be a real dull place to live if we all liked the same blond, wearing the same red dress, with the same stiletto heels, etc etc etc and vice-verse for the ladies points of view.
Very well said..but ya forgot the bruised male ego part. Looks to be the detractors have issues with anyone not agreeing with their narrow assessment of it all. Too bad. It's all about choices and the majority choose to use ign kills. Not one single choice is immune to failure.
Every choice has it's good & bad points.

It's a very good thing that no single group can force their preferred method onto another group....although a few do try.

There's gonna be a need for towels here...or a mop..........

Old 09-26-2011, 05:30 AM
RCVFR

[/quote]

??? The engine was at idle and you could not hear it....?
Do you have a hearing impairment? No disrespect meant. A valid question.
[/quote]

When stuff started falling off the plane in flight, I was focusing (unsuccessfully) on trying to spot where the prop assembly may have fallen in addition to watching the plane. Never did find it. I did hear the engine idling after it got back on the ground, to my surprise, as I expected it to have stopped when the prop left.

I do have hearing impairment, classic male high frequency loss and wear aids for it. I hear mechanical and engine sounds quite well, but people speaking are a challenge. Too much shooting for too many years.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:28 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Great analogy.... and they sell a lot of morning after pills. I think it works in favor of the kill switch though.. a backup plan, behind the backup plan. There would be a lot more little "airplanes" running around without the pill.

The world is not perfect... I know that I could have used the switch on more than one occasion so far... and did use it on one occasion. I have even had a nice belly landing with no damage because of a landing gear failure and had the ability to shut the engine down before touch down.

It is a tool. Another tool that can be used, and can increase the safety of flying the plane. Every gas plane I own will have a transmitter controlled kill switch. 5 planes that I have right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.