Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Spark Plug Cap Change to Angled?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 AM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark Plug Cap Change to Angled?

New to gas, bought an OS GT55. I dont like the way they have the plug angled in the head, the 90 degree plug cap causes the wire to interfere with (rubs on) the head cooling fins and/or my Jtec inverted Pitts muffler. I would have good clearance if there was a suitable plug cap available with perhaps a wider than 90 degree angle. I know these exist for other motorsports but are there suitable caps available for airplanes and can you easilly change the plug cap without damaging the ignition lead wire?

Note to OS...I see you just released your 33 gasser with the same plug angle. For what its worth I'm not digging it look at DLE 30 staight plug install.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spark Plug Cap Change to Angled?

There are no angled caps made for CM6 spark plugs...
take your Dremel and make some clearance [Or change the plug to a NGK 10mm CMR6 and get a new cap for the ignition...The NGK is longer, you would need a spacer under the spark plug..
Old 09-29-2011, 02:57 PM
gade600sdi

Antique, how can I make clearance. You mean grind off the cooling fins on the head? The only way clearance can be made is to grind off the cooling fins or to beat the muffler in with a hammer....thats it. There is no clearance. Jtec said their mufflers fit the OS specs, but not working out for me.

Thanks for the post, I can post a picture if needed.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:21 PM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

Why can't you just rotate the boot a few degrees ??

Rick
Old 09-29-2011, 05:42 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: gade600sdi

Antique, how can I make clearance. You mean grind off the cooling fins on the head? The only way clearance can be made is to grind off the cooling fins or to beat the muffler in with a hammer....thats it. There is no clearance. Jtec said their mufflers fit the OS specs, but not working out for me.

Thanks for the post, I can post a picture if needed.
Post 2-3 photos of what you got going. That will give us what we need to go by to best solve the interference problem. Thanks Capt,n