Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Tired Old Man and Jody

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tired Old Man and Jody

i havent seen either on for several weeks already.... its kinda quiet in here with out them, especially TOM(Pat)
Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 AM
DaleD

Default RE: Tired Old Man and Jody

I have noticed both their silence too but Ido understand. It would appear they have decided to stay away.

Icertainly hope they are just 'cooling off' as the gas engine forum is nothing nearas informative as it could be without them.

DaleD
Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I think that we all better get used to the silence of not hearing them here. Wonderful example of the good suffering for the bad [:@]

Karol
Old 12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
MetallicaJunkie

what a shame, i learned a lot from TOM and Jody
Old 12-01-2011, 01:47 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They won't be back for some time. They're choice. Dennis
Old 12-01-2011, 01:49 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

what a shame, I learned a lot from TOM and Jody

Me too, but it seems like admitting that rubs some people the wrong way..... I really wonder why????

Karol
Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Ernie Misner

Was there something in particular that pushed them over the edge?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 PM
aussiesteve

One of them made it pretty clear that he was sick of being attacked when he gave advice based on actual experience. He has pretty much left it to the "superior" knowledge of those to take over now and help them out.

I doubt you will see much of them now. It is a shame because their engine and general airplane setup knowledge really is superior to a vast majority of us.

I guess the Low priced engine assemblers and their on line support groups have won the war. Buy cheap, get cheap, buy another cheap real soon (one or two brands excepted but even they are supplied to a price)
Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I talked to Pat and he felt that his time is better spent elsewhere. If you want to know where to find him send me a PM. I'll warn you now read first and know what question to ask first. An example is from another forum where he wasn't getting enough RPM's and tore the whole engine down just to find out that all he needed to do is lean out the high end. Dennis
Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a opinion...but I think Pat had plans of leaving these threads for some time. Maybe that is why he got more harsh as time went on. He knew that some would put up a fuss and that did happen. It is true some of us folks miss him and the good advice. Others probably feel like they won the word battle. Jody just followed T.O.M. but I bet he would answer some PM,s. As far as that goes TOM might answer too. But I have seen this happen before. I think a decision too leavewas made first, way berfore....then the harsh treatment comes. My 2 cents. Capt,n
Old 12-01-2011, 03:08 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Aww. They took their ball and went home? Maybe they didn't get enough pats on the back and bowing from the waist.

Someone else will step up. They always do. It's not like 2 stroke gas engines are rocket science.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

Aww. They took their ball and went home? Maybe they didn't get enough pats on the back and bowing from the waist.

Someone else will step up. They always do. It's not like 2 stroke gas engines are rocket science.
+1

For those needing them, head over here.....
http://preview.tinyurl.com/d93t9s5

Otherwise, enjoy the peace & quiet!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:49 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's folks like you that deny all the work in answering the same questions over and over again, and thus make a dedicated person leave the forum.
Ask yourself who is the dumb-ass here, if experience does not count anymore.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:10 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

+1
+2

For those needing them, head over here.....
http://preview.tinyurl.com/d93t9s5

Otherwise, enjoy the peace & quiet!....+1
Old 12-01-2011, 04:22 PM
aussiesteve

2 stroke engines as used by the RC world are certainly not rocket science.

But based on the numerous questions we see on forums such as RCU. What does that tell us about RC'ers? They sure must be a load of real dumboes.

"How do I tune my engine?"
(answer - read the forums, do a search, you ain't the first to ask)

"I bought a cheap piece of junk and it won't run right, what should I do?"

"Which oil, Battery pack, ignition timing, needle setting, brand, color etc should I use?"

Then if someone dares give an honest, open response (albeit sometimes with a little scorn shown). The flaming starts.

Yep. It gets pretty old pretty quick

Not to mention the threads along the following lines

"Hi I am the newest sucker to import a bunch of junk and now my buddies and I are going to flood the forums telling you how great the product is and how great our backup service is even though you shouldn't need it if the product is actually any good."

Followed by the

"We have these products on a really good sale price, buy them now while you can"

and the

"We have these new lineup of products made especially for us, get them too" (usually the same old Miracle RC accessories that everyone else has)

Yep. Sure has been some pretty stupid people out there in RC land hasn't there (especially those who buy the bulk order of the junk in the first place - they end up not making the profit).

Oh, I forgot the usual answer to those who really don't have a clue
"Nice plane"

Old 12-01-2011, 04:34 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

2 stroke engines as used by the RC world are certainly not rocket science.

But based on the numerous questions we see on forums such as RCU. What does that tell us about RC'ers? They sure must be a load of real dumboes.

''How do I tune my engine?''

''I bought a cheap piece of junk and it won't run right, what should I do?''

''Which oil, Battery pack, ignition timing, needle setting, brand, color etc should I use?''

Then if someone dares give an honest, open response (albeit sometimes with a little scorn shown). The flaming starts.

Yep. It gets pretty old pretty quick

Not to mention the threads along the following lines

''Hi I am the newest sucker to import a bunch of junk and now my buddies and I are going to flood the forums telling you how great the product is and how great our backup service is even though you shouldn't need it if the product is actually any good.''

Followed by the

''We have these products on a really good sale price, buy them now while you can''

and the

''We have these new lineup of products made especially for us, get them too'' (usually the same old Miracle RC accessories that everyone else has)

Yep. Sure has been some pretty stupid people out there in RC land hasn't there (especially those who buy the bulk order of the junk in the first place - they end up not making the profit).

Oh, I forgot the usual answer to those who really don't have a clue
''Nice plane''

what's is worse and scares me is when guys jump from electric planes to gassers...
Old 12-01-2011, 05:12 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

too bad , because TOM knows 3W Engines really well , i own one and can use all the hep i can geet
Old 12-01-2011, 05:14 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

It's folks like you that deny all the work in answering the same questions over and over again, and thus make a dedicated person leave the forum.

+1
Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 PM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

what's is worse and scares me is when guys jump from electric planes to gassers...
For Watt it's worth, I find the other way just as scary, and if they want to start with a 12lb. airframe with no experience in E-power, I cringe!
Pete
Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 PM
wesaysoracing

P.E. what grumpy position you going for?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:32 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think PE is in the first 4 or 5 top GRUMPS!!! Bad thing...I think it snowballls into more!!! Capt,n
Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM
wesaysoracing

i think i am in the top 10 too
Old 12-01-2011, 05:58 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

While no doubt they were somewhat knowledgeable, I think they behaved as if this forum was " Their Turf " and when someone such as myself was to offer an opinion different from theirs they got bad attitudes. Sure people come in and ask the same questions all the time but why instead of being harsh did he not take a little time and put together a FAQ sheet and simply PM it to the person who was asking the question? What happened to the phrase " There are no stupid questions" IMO I think the forum is better off without that kind of behavior. I'm sure there will be plenty of good solid advice available with out the thrashing first.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:23 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

The knowledge & experiences weren't often any issue, but bad attitude and approach are likely what dropped the axe.

As for "make a dedicated person leave the forum", that's a self inflicted situation.

Better to agree to disagree, and move on!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Sure people come in and ask the same questions all the time but why instead of being harsh did he not take a little time and put together a FAQ sheet and simply PM it to the person who was asking the question?
Really? It's his responsibility to put together an FAQ together for people that won't take any amount of time to search for the answer? There is already a huge newb FAQ on the top of this forum. Did you know that?

Just today a guy started another thread on the RCG 26 when there is already 2 page thread. Not only is there already a thread on the RCG 26 but it was only on the second page of threads.

People come in here asking questions about arfs, plane builds, batteries, etc., when there are huge forums already devoted to the subject. Why? because they didn't take 30 seconds to search the forum subjects.

It gets old.

Did I think T.O.M. was harsh to people? Yes, because he was. Was it necessary? Not really. Do I understand why? You bet I do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.