Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

Let's keep this thread in mind about 6-12 months from now. This discussion should be much more interesting about that time.
Why?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

Zenoah is not going away...Old used ones are as good as new ones, I can convert or you can buy EXL conversions....
Only thing that ever wears is the piston rings and carb diaphragms....Maybe a new spark plug every few years...
They have been around for at least 20 years already....NO ONE has ever made a longer lasting engine for RC planes...Only engines close are those made from chainsaws, Husky, Sachs, Echo, etc.....Ssosmething about engines made to work all day long for years in hostiile environments, using whatver oil is available...
Old 10-20-2011, 03:15 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Antique

Zenoah is not going away...Old used ones are as good as new ones, I can convert or you can buy EXL conversions....
Only thing that ever wears is the piston rings and carb diaphragms....Maybe a new spark plug every few years...
They have been around for at least 20 years already....NO ONE has ever made a longer lasting engine for RC planes...Only engines close are those made from chainsaws, Husky, Sachs, Echo, etc.....Ssosmething about engines made to work all day long for years in hostiile environments, using whatver oil is available...
true
Old 10-20-2011, 03:47 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just want to add my 2cents

I have only been flying for a year now and I picked up a Top Flight Gaint P51 from a guy for cheap.

Read the build threads and it seem the G62 was the best motor for this bird, even thow its so heavy.

But seeing all the holes that have to be cut in the cowl I just could not bring my self to get one, So I had to settle for a DLE55 even thow I wanted the Big G in my bird. I just wish they would make there motors rear carbed, and rear mufflered if possable

Is that asking to much?

Old 10-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

RCGF makes a rear carb version using a copycat G62 cylinder. Quality falls extremely short of Zenoah IMHO though.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Whistling Death

I would love to see RC dedicated Zenoah engines.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Antique

Not much chance of that, Zenoah and Horizon are happy with where they are...
there was a 124cc Zenoah opposed twin made many years ago for ultralights...Seen at Oshkosh...I bought one from someone who told me he got it in Canada...It ran well, disappeared when I loaned to a friend(?) ...I think the money from when he sold it went up his nose...
The company was Gen engineering in Japan....All parts were G62 except the case....
Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you at all surprised? There hasn't been much marketing of Fuji products performed by the distributor. Pretty much all that has been done was handled by Greg Hahn through flights of his warbirds in various events. So taking a slightly heavy, but generally reliable, engine and installing it in a platform that could easily handle the weight seems to make some sense. Especially if that endeavor turned out to be highly profitable.

Would you be surprised to learn the majority of sales of the domestic and European high end engines go to UAV use? You shouldn't be because the hobby market is only a very small slice of the profit pie for these companies. The dependable engine makers are enjoying huge success in the UAV market place, with just about every engine size they have in production being used for those purposes. I could easily name one engine where a little over 7,000 have been made but only 2,000 of them ever reached the hobby market. The rest went to the UAV market. I can remember back to when a certain high quality ignition manufacturer pretty much cut off product supply to the hobby market because their full production capability was exceeded fulfilling the UAV industry.

The money is not in RC. For all intents and purposes the companies making the best engines are doing us a favor by maintaining a number available for us to buy. When you consider that many complain loudly about the high price of those engines, and the grossly excessive profit margins they believe the high end companies make, I'm surprised we have any opportunity to buy them at all. Of course none of those complaining have ever owned their own business and paid wages to employees. Nor have they ever maintained the direct costs associated with a warranty that so many are so quick to take advantage of, even when the problem was the fault of the user, not the manufacturer.

So from my perspective, good on Fuji. They took the steps neceesary to remain in business and keep their employees in a paycheck.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:40 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I support your assesment 100%. They will go the way of Webra and Fox glow engines. DLE is the king of the hill and will remain that way for a long time coming.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Antique

Betcha if I could get Zenoah engines for what Horizon pays, I could easily compete with the Chinese engines ..I work for slave labor prices In my garage, no overhead...

And if all the geniuses who compare a mag Zenoah with an EI China wonder would compare EI to EI, it would be different...a G62 lite weighs 4.1 lbs...And tuned pipe to stock muffler...G62, 22-8 and tuned pipe, 8400 rpm.....
Old 10-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know why any vendor with a government contract would sell to the public. How do they justify the markup? I know of one company that can get $400 per man hour.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

You are just jealous

$400.00/hr may not be at all unreasonable when all the used resources are calculated. Ever had to comply with government purchasing regulations while maintaining AS 9100 standards? I've seen the cost of a 25 cent part rise to over $150.00 by the time the costs of the paperwork were factored in. Then toss in the turn around time for payment of a government invoice, say 6 to 9 months, allow for loss of use of financial resources during that time period, an $400.00 could n=be on the cheap side.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Pippin

Fuji-Imvac 86cc twin cylinder petrol engine with electronic ignition

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-Imvac...item4ab0376281
Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

Let's keep this thread in mind about 6-12 months from now. This discussion should be much more interesting about that time.

The time has come.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10938557/tm.htm

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

Greg
Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
BadAzzMaxx

There problem is they are about 5 years or so late doing this.

Milton
Old 02-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Antique

Try 24 years...Sold my first conversion, a G38, in 1987.
Horizon kicked me off their dealer list when the bought ISC from Jim Goad...
I can still buy cheaper, I have sources...
Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Pelle Gris

Multibolt prop hup??? But... why???? :-)
Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Antique

Because of the internet MYTHS that multiple bolt hubs are better...
Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM
BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: Pelle Gris

Multibolt prop hup??? But... why???? :-)
Had the same thought, guess they are trying to keep up with what all the other engine companies are doing. LOL

Single prop nut has worked for years on the Zenoah engines.

Milton
Old 02-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Antique

Pretty soon we'll be seeing threads like this...
My G62 sheared its prop bolts, how tight should they be ??
Think the new 4 bolt pattern will match the DA ? did they COPY DA too ?
Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: psgugrad

FUJI IMVAC failed in mainstream RC applications because no one bought their engines...because there was no reason to buy one. I really feel the same way about Zenoah. Zenoah is superior to FUJI IMVAC...they are reliable and fairly powerful...but there's no reason to buy one. The better Chinese engines (most specifically DLE) are also reliable and powerful, but they are less expensive, lighter, and DESIGNED FOR RC AIRPLANES. From the moment you open the box of a Zenoah, it is totally obvious that you just paid top dollar for a big, heavy, difficult to mount and set up engine that belongs in a chain saw, not an RC airplane. If I wanted to fiddle with a chain saw engine, I'd buy an old used chain saw and convert the engine and save $200!
Even though a zenoah is Japanese, that kind of thinking is why so many american companies have failed. you have to know Chinese people to understand them .i'm not going to flame them here but i will say . when you pay little , you get little. It will be a cold day in hell before i buy a Chinese engine . why would you support a communist faction . i'll tell you why... to save 50.00 on an engine. your lack of experience with engines is evident given what you've said here . Zenoah engines have been flying airplanes since you were popping pimples in the mirror . even at their age they are still one of the best engines out there. well built , reliable and last YOU CAN STILL GET PARTS FOR THEM .even 25 year old engines. I know a lot of people that swear by those Chinese engines and i know some that swear at them . what i'm trying to say is don't judge them if you have never owned one. i had a g-23 in a midwest at-6 for 9 years . i rebuilt the carb 2 times in that time period . and i did so because i wanted to. it's good maintenance . it still had the original spark plug from when it was new and it had over 400 flights on it. when i sold the engine because i retired the plane , it was still running great with loads of compression . so in 5 years let me know how that engine is running for you. i hope good . to compare a zenoah against a chinese engine is a mute point given zenoahs track record . just my two cents. just so you know. i fly a g-62 in a 34 lbs. byron at-6 swinging a APC 22x10 and i can pull some impressive loops with it.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:47 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Hate to burst your bubble but Zenaoh engines are now made in China.

So if you buy one according your post you are (Quote why would you support a communist faction )

Milton
Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now Milton,

Why you want to go bustin bubbles like that?

Old 12-15-2012, 08:10 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple years ago I resurected a Zenoah G62 that had been busted up. The new cylinder and other parts I bought for it said Husqvarna on them. They fit perfectly.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

Hate to burst your bubble but Zenaoh engines are now made in China.

So if you buy one according your post you are (Quote why would you support a communist faction )

Milton
prove it. all mine are made in japan.. just found this article . from what i understand is that one ,there are 26-30 cc clones of zenoah . depending on what product you are buying say weedeaters , scooter etc.
And two , nothing is said about the 45-62cc engines so i'm assuming they are still japan engines http://www.emjayltd.com/importexport...ang-vs-zenoah/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.