Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Anyone compare DA-50 / DLE-55 / DA-60?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Anyone compare DA-50 / DLE-55 / DA-60?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone compare DA-50 / DLE-55 / DA-60?

It can be figured out by measuring the space available after the back seat is folded down, and maybe moving forward the passage seat. Even with SUV, the problem of carrying giant scale planes in a car is the length of the plane (rudder tip to spinner tip) and the width of the elevators.

If it is a wagon, my guess is that it can fit.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:20 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Intresting!
My MVVS 45cc engine turns a wooden Mentz 24x8 prop at 6400-6600rpm. Can you beat that?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49371.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1674145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32458.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1674146  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Intresting!
My MVVS 45cc engine turns a wooden Mentz 24x8 prop at 6400-6600rpm. Can you beat that?
The Evolution 45 is no longer available here and I would not pay the shipping from Europe. The Evolution 50 GX weighs in at 53 oz or 3.3 lbs and costs $599 here. Then to get similar performance I would have to order the header and canister from Europe as I do not believe Horizon sells them. I am sure that would be $200 - $300 shipped putting me at a minimum of $800. The DA-60 weighs in at 3.1 lbs and costs $649 plus an additional $129 for a pitts muffler putting me at $778. So, to answer your question, yes, I can beat that.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:11 PM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

Hi!
Intresting!

Yes, by almost 1000rpm...

Rick
Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 PM
clarkj
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a DA50 and just ordered a DA60. I have seen dle 55's that probably have more power than my 50. No way will it outpower the 60 that I have coming though. I dont mind spending a little more for the warranty and service DA has. Never seen a DA ignition go bad (yes im sure they have). I have seen numerous dles with bad ignitions and its not worth the hassle of replacing them. Also I was flying last weekend - I choked my 50 flipped it, took the choke off and flipped it and it started. I saw a fella flip his dle at least a dozen times before it hit and another six before it started. I would have considered an OS55gt but hobby services warranty department is TERRIBLE(and I have had more than one issue with them). Just my 2cents
Old 10-27-2011, 08:25 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Eganwp

[Hey that's my review/RPM #'s of my DLE-55 Soarrich! haha I've retested it's numbers after a few more gallons through it, and it's even better now. I got that 22x8 Xoar prop to turn 7440 at one point! lol. I still like the Xoar 23x8 CF prop the best, and it's turning 6950rpm almost every time out (hot).

Either engine will be good, but they do go up in increments of power. If it were me I'd buy another DLE-55 before a DA-50, even if they were the same price. That DA-60 isn't all that special after seeing it fly on regular exhaust (maybe 100-200 rpm than the 55 at max on the same prop), however, if once you throw a tuned pipe on the DA-60 that thing is INSANE. My buddie's turns a 24x10 @ 6750 rpm on tuned pipe!!!!! His 30% Aeroworks Extra 300 is the most overpowered 30% plane i''ve ever seen in my life.

That said, if you're not going tuned pipes, just go with the 55 as the difference is negligable in power on stock exhaust. I assume that you wouldn't be paying the $$$ for a tuned pipe if buying a 55 anyhow based on people's spending habbits in the past. (Ie. if they pay for the DA up front, they dont mind paying more $$$ for the tuned pipe combo either; vs the guys who buy DLE like me, we're bang per buck people who generally wont go out and buy tuned pipes defeating the purpose of just buying the more powerful engine from the get-go). I can't comment on how the 55 runs on tuned pipes, as maybe it's nearly as impressive as the 60 which is what I'm thinking it would be.

A few guys have the DA-50 as well, but it's pretty tame compared to the other two. I wouldn't even consider it unless it's a smoking used deal, but that's just me.

Remember that tuned pipes can wreak havok on transition until you get the pipe length setup just perfectly for your prop, load, airframe and setup. If you're a big 3D guy, this is worth considering. For most sport/IMAC pilots however, transition isn't as critical generally.

Egan
Just started playing with my DLE55. Took the cost differential between a DA and a DLE and bought an ESComposites 55G pipe for the DLE. The break in prop was a 22x12 MDK spooling up to over 7200. The normal running prop is a 21x12 3 blade turning just under 7K and the engine only has about 3 1/2 hours run time (about 2 gallons avgas). I am very impressed with the engine's output and its field manners. Tosses around my EF Extra like a rag doll. And starts are simple, using stock Chinese plug and CDI; hasn't missed a beat which is something I never would have believed since EVERYone knows the Chinese plugs are crap

The costs were 370$ for the engine, 250$ for the pipe and 70$ for the header (DA). So take your poison.

Almost forgot....the engine is soft mounted on my design soft mount. Except for full rev intake noise, the engine is eerie quiet at any throttle setting except full. Completely drowed out by anything else flying, glow or gas. Exceptions are foamies
Old 10-28-2011, 04:40 AM
cap10b

Stang,
All the afore mentioned motors are good. TOM mentioning 3W is not a high RPM motor is correct, Gehard finds out somebody runs a 55 CS at over 7400 better be ducking when he comes around. I think the DA 50 is a great little engine, the DLE 55 is more powerfull than a DA 50 and more economical on the pocket book. I keep poking my guys that fly aerobatic 50cc to buy a DA 60 so we can see how it stacks up. If its anything close to my old 3W-60K its a billy bad motor. The MVVS and Evo I have to take everyone word, I have seen one 58 fly and it was a very strong motor, capable of hauling a much bigger plane than the standard 50cc aerobat.

I know everyone will poo pah this but get what you want because after a few flying sessions and somebody comes out and blows your doors off you will be pissed because you settled.

Good Luck
JDS
Old 10-28-2011, 05:30 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: Eganwp

[Hey that's my review/RPM #'s of my DLE-55 Soarrich! haha I've retested it's numbers after a few more gallons through it, and it's even better now. I got that 22x8 Xoar prop to turn 7440 at one point! lol. I still like the Xoar 23x8 CF prop the best, and it's turning 6950rpm almost every time out (hot).

Either engine will be good, but they do go up in increments of power. If it were me I'd buy another DLE-55 before a DA-50, even if they were the same price. That DA-60 isn't all that special after seeing it fly on regular exhaust (maybe 100-200 rpm than the 55 at max on the same prop), however, if once you throw a tuned pipe on the DA-60 that thing is INSANE. My buddie's turns a 24x10 @ 6750 rpm on tuned pipe!!!!! His 30% Aeroworks Extra 300 is the most overpowered 30% plane i''ve ever seen in my life.

That said, if you're not going tuned pipes, just go with the 55 as the difference is negligable in power on stock exhaust. I assume that you wouldn't be paying the $$$ for a tuned pipe if buying a 55 anyhow based on people's spending habbits in the past. (Ie. if they pay for the DA up front, they dont mind paying more $$$ for the tuned pipe combo either; vs the guys who buy DLE like me, we're bang per buck people who generally wont go out and buy tuned pipes defeating the purpose of just buying the more powerful engine from the get-go). I can't comment on how the 55 runs on tuned pipes, as maybe it's nearly as impressive as the 60 which is what I'm thinking it would be.

A few guys have the DA-50 as well, but it's pretty tame compared to the other two. I wouldn't even consider it unless it's a smoking used deal, but that's just me.

Remember that tuned pipes can wreak havok on transition until you get the pipe length setup just perfectly for your prop, load, airframe and setup. If you're a big 3D guy, this is worth considering. For most sport/IMAC pilots however, transition isn't as critical generally.

Egan
the engine is soft mounted on my design soft mount. How about a photo of this mount? Thanks Capt,n
Just started playing with my DLE55. Took the cost differential between a DA and a DLE and bought an ESComposites 55G pipe for the DLE. The break in prop was a 22x12 MDK spooling up to over 7200. The normal running prop is a 21x12 3 blade turning just under 7K and the engine only has about 3 1/2 hours run time (about 2 gallons avgas). I am very impressed with the engine's output and its field manners. Tosses around my EF Extra like a rag doll. And starts are simple, using stock Chinese plug and CDI; hasn't missed a beat which is something I never would have believed since EVERYone knows the Chinese plugs are crap

The costs were 370$ for the engine, 250$ for the pipe and 70$ for the header (DA). So take your poison.

Almost forgot....the engine is soft mounted on my design soft mount. <hr />How about a photo of this mount? Thanks Capt,n
Old 10-28-2011, 05:40 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: MTK

Almost forgot....the engine is soft mounted on my design soft mount. Except for full rev intake noise, the engine is eerie quiet at any throttle setting except full. Completely drowed out by anything else flying, glow or gas. Exceptions are foamies
There is one other that nobody mentioned here....the BME 58 Xtreme is similarly priced as the DA60 and puts out at least the same power. At 2 3/4 pounds it is the lightest of the bunch. I run avgas in mine; also piped set-up as my DLE is..... For the money, it could be that the piped DLE is hard to beat for all around easy field manners and terrific power. BUT, I only own one DLE so I can't attest to the variability of the engine line. From the sound of it, others appear to be having similar DLE experience as I am.

So, if price is no object, the DA and BME are good choices. I don't own a DA60 but a guy at the field runs one and it is well behaved. For a tighter budget, the DLE has nearly the same output and, mine at least, is extremely well behaved. How long it lasts will have to be seen
Old 10-28-2011, 05:43 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Almost forgot....the engine is soft mounted on my design soft mount. <hr />How about a photo of this mount? Thanks Capt,n
Pattern Forum, EF Extra thread. All the photos you seek
Old 10-28-2011, 07:21 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Yado

I drive 2003 model toyota camry. Will any of the aeroworks 50cc extra fit in the passenger seat for me? Has anyone try this before? Please advise. I have many 90size glow planes, but now thinking of moving up to gas planes. Thanks.
Here's one way of doing it:
(from the Reactor 1.60 thread)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67189.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1679683  
Old 10-28-2011, 02:44 PM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: cap10b

TOM mentioning 3W is not a high RPM motor is correct, Gehard finds out somebody runs a 55 CS at over 7400 better be ducking when he comes around.
Good Luck
JDS

I have seen this response now several times.. The engine has a 23X8 Xoar Laminate prop.. I have run a Menz S 24X8 on it as well to the tune of 7350 or so on the ground.. The engine has seen a Xoar 24X10 on it as well and it turned it right at 6850 .. Why is it that people jump to the "No 3W is a high RPM engine"... That seems like a very generalized statement to be making by some people that have not run this engine.. Has anyone gone to Pe's prop to HP chart to see how much power the engine is making with this prop combo? It looks to me like the 23X8 @ 7700 versus the 24X8 Menz @ 7350 they are both absorbing the same HP and produce about the same thrust.. Difference is the 23X8 is much much better flying and the throttle response is much crisper as well as running cooler.. Everyone is looking to get something a little different from their combo and for me , I am very pleased with mine.. It just gets me that such generalized statements are made with no facts to back them up..

Rick
Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Actually, now you are comparing Jaka's 45cc to a DA60cc and still barely making even.
The MVVS50cc will swing a 24x10 prop (on a stock muffler) up to it's peak power RPM - output that actually surpasses DA60 performance but at a very similar weight

At the moment, we are selling the MVVS50cc plus either a genuine MVVS Pitts muffler, a third party Pitts muffler or a MVVS canister and header for $549
I'll ship you one to the States for $60
On top of that, I'll include for free a nice mount kit at no extra cost
This totals $609 and you say that a DA60 costs $778.00

So yes, Jaha was absolutely right

* Better performance
* Lighter
* Potential longer life span (except for dumb thumbs)
* Lower cost

And if you want to realy kick DA's a*se, for another $200, I'll get you the same deal on a 58cc which swings a 26x10 prop at the same rate
Actually, I'll do that for the price you quoted for the DA60

Or ...... you could always try bolting a 26x10 on the DA60 and see how you go

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Hi!
Intresting!
The Evolution 45 is no longer available here and I would not pay the shipping from Europe. The Evolution 50 GX weighs in at 53 oz or 3.3 lbs and costs $599 here. Then to get similar performance I would have to order the header and canister from Europe as I do not believe Horizon sells them. I am sure that would be $200 - $300 shipped putting me at a minimum of $800. The DA-60 weighs in at 3.1 lbs and costs $649 plus an additional $129 for a pitts muffler putting me at $778. So, to answer your question, yes, I can beat that.