Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What IBEC to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:01 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an ARF "bashed" plane that I built/modified. 70" wingspan low wing aerobatic .60 size plane with a Super Tiger .90 on it converted to run on gasoline. I run both the engine and the ignition off the same battery with no IBEC. RCEXL ignition, Hitec Aurora 9 2.4 ghz setup with an Optima receiver. The battery is a 2200 mah two cell Lipoly running through a regulator. There's not much room in the plane to separate components either. After many flights over the past year and a half, not a single radio glitch...... ever.

(The receiver is the Optima 7 too, not the somewhat better, dual antenna Optima 9 receiver.)

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 02-19-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:08 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
I have an ARF "bashed" plane that I built/modified. 70" wingspan low wing aerobatic .60 size plane with a Super Tiger .90 on it converted to run on gasoline. I run both the engine and the ignition off the same battery with no IBEC. RCEXL ignition, Hitec Aurora 9 2.4 ghz setup with an Optima receiver. The battery is a 2200 mah two cell Lipoly running through a regulator. There's not much room in the plane to separate components either. After many flights over the past year and a half, not a single radio glitch...... ever.

AV8TOR
I considered doing the same, but decided it isn't worth the risk with a $6K patternship.
Good to hear you have no problems.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:09 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

It's hard for me to say this but I'm running my ignition off the receiver pack using a cheap Hobby King BEC, two years now, no problem.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:30 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been researching the Tech Aero for quite a while and it has overall had excellent results and that is the brand that I chose. I plan to use them on the next two builds and have total confidence in them going forward.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:46 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The BEC section of the T.A. switch is a feature I don't need, so it's been Rcexl for me. I've used both it and the T.A. switchs, and haven't had a failure. My cheap nature being what it is, I go for the less expensive one....
Old 02-19-2014, 05:39 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

(The receiver is the Optima 7 too, not the somewhat better, dual antenna Optima 9 receiver.)

AV8TOR
I switched over to Hitec A9 using the Optima7 and Optima9 channel recievers and have been very happy with the systems performance. One of the easiest TX there is to set up and IMO the best value in high end systems. I first tested it out on a 33% Laser running a no name BEC that came with a DLE 55 I picked up second hand. Solid as a rock.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you stick a Lipoly in to an airplane for the receiver you already have lost me. You have already put in the most unreliable battery you can get. Then you stick in a regulator to double your chances of failure.
Good luck . You are going to need it.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:38 AM
zacharyR

Originally Posted by dirtybird
When you stick a Lipoly in to an airplane for the receiver you already have lost me. You have already put in the most unreliable battery you can get. Then you stick in a regulator to double your chances of failure.
looks like you just don't know what your doing ..
Old 02-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Larry882

I made my own regulator complete with a switch, LED, and a protective housing. I bought the switch and LED from radio shack. The wires from the hobby Shop and the actual circuit board from the dollar store for one dollar. It's a USB charger. I tested it on a test stand for several weeks before putting it on a plane. The housing is 3/4" aluminum square tubing and I milled away all the pockets for the switch. The light bulbs in the picture are drawing 250MH. I have about 30 flights so far with my 53CC XYZ Twin. Hasn't missed a beat.
Larry Kopecky
[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1591.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1970105  
Old 02-19-2014, 11:39 AM
av8tor1977

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I switched over to Hitec A9 using the Optima7 and Optima9 channel recievers and have been very happy with the systems performance. One of the easiest TX there is to set up and IMO the best value in high end systems. I first tested it out on a 33% Laser running a no name BEC that came with a DLE 55 I picked up second hand. Solid as a rock.
I absolutely LOVE my Hitec Aurora 9 system. Best hobby purchase I ever made and I highly recommend it. I even bought the 72 mhz module to go with it, so theoretically I could throw my other two 72 mhz transmitters away and fly all my planes on the Aurora 9. Anyway, its a great radio and like you say, super easy to program.

AV8TOR
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM
av8tor1977

I'm not too happy about that myself, but went that way after a huge bunch of problems with today's Nimh and Nicad batteries that almost cost me a couple of planes. So I went to Lipoly batts on most of my planes, and treat them with tender loving care. But virtually all my equipment is going to A123 batteries and no regulators, (just a double diode) whenever I can afford it.

AV8TOR
Old 02-19-2014, 11:46 AM
dirtybird

I'm not too happy about that myself, but went that way after a huge bunch of problems with today's Nimh and Nicad batteries that almost cost me a couple of planes. So I went to Lipoly batts on most of my planes, and treat them with tender loving care. But virtually all my equipment is going to A123 batteries and no regulators, (just a double diode) whenever I can afford it.

AV8TOR
Thats the smart way to do it. A123's are not lipolys
Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 AM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by zacharyR
looks like you just don't know what your doing ..
Well Zach maybe you should stay off the airplanes I worked as a reliability engineer. 737,757,767 747. I even spent a little time on the airbus A340. But that was on the flight management computer, not flight critical hardware.

Sorry I left out the 777,787, and MD 11

Last edited by dirtybird; 02-19-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: correct
Old 02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
zacharyR

Well Zach maybe you should stay off the airplanes I worked as a reliability engineer. 737,757,767 747. I even spent a little time on the airbus A340. But that was on the flight management computer, not flight critical hardware.

Sorry I left out the 777,787, and MD 11

how about let's buy stock? you buy stock in NIMAH AND NICAD tech / companys I'll buy lipo lion A123 company tech.. and we will let the massess debate right and wrong ?

just explain your logic what makes a lipo " the most " unrelabile.. that is a really bold statment

and it is going aginst the techoncaily thats on the market honstly makes no sense why evyething and anything is useing the new battery tech now.. why in the world would the industry do that if what you say is true ?

or are you just full of it ????

and i know my rebutiual to his post is off topic , i'd just like to not see nonsense threads go unchecked

Last edited by zacharyR; 02-19-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It seems that someone should post that cute little popcorn munching deer about now!

I've read many posts by dirtybird and find him usually spot on .... but perhaps a bit over conservative at times. I would certainly never consider him diplomatic in his responses and frankly, I appreciate that. As for others, I'm not certain everybody carefully reads and digests posts before they respond. I qualify for that last statement more than I care to admit.

Our hobby is one where at times more than one viewpoint can be right. Its just a matter of purpose and application.

To use or not use an IBEC is one of those areas. For a very long time I was in the "don't use" category but with all the good reports on the Tech-Aero unit, I took the plunge and now own several of them with more to come. I prefer this approach over simply powering the ignition directly (or through diodes) from the flight pack as the T-A unit offers selectable voltage regulation along with current limiting and of course ignition shut off, along with a fair amount of isolation .... all of which are not available with a direct connection.

As for the T-A being less reliable than powering the ignition directly from its own battery / switch ... I question that. Seems that maintaining and even the existence of the separate battery and switch introduces its own failure points. I'll leave it at that and will stay completely away from the battery chemistry debate.

Last edited by Truckracer; 02-19-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:44 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AV8TOR
I use LiFes in everything. As long as your servos are rated for 6 volts, there's no need to run any sort of voltage regulation.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW,
I really pulled the scab off this one.

Like I said this thread was not intended to debate the Pro's or Con's of IBEC's but rather ask those using the Ultra IBEC if they are satisfied with their choice 2years after this thread started.

My Talon has a profile type fuse so space is limited hence the desire to loose a battery.

I'd get the popcorn but my wife has me on a diet

Pete
Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 PM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by zacharyR
how about let's buy stock? you buy stock in NIMAH AND NICAD tech / companys I'll buy lipo lion A123 company tech.. and we will let the massess debate right and wrong ?
I am not into stock-too unreliable for my money. At 86 I need to stick to short term investments

just explain your logic what makes a lipo " the most " unrelabile.. that is a really bold statment

Check this out: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719116

and it is going aginst the techoncaily thats on the market honstly makes no sense why evyething and anything is useing the new battery tech now.. why in the world would the industry do that if what you say is true ?

They use mostly LIFE not lipoly's

or are you just full of it ????Yes I am full of it and proud of it

and i know my rebutiual to his post is off topic , i'd just like to not see nonsense threads go unchecked
If you would like to argue anymore lets go off line and not bother the others with this drivel. PM me
Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketman612
WOW,

Like I said this thread was not intended to debate the Pro's or Con's of IBEC's but rather ask those using the Ultra IBEC if they are satisfied with their choice 2years after this thread started.

My Talon has a profile type fuse so space is limited hence the desire to loose a battery.

Pete
There's always room for popcorn ..... at least thats what my wife says when she's on a diet.

Yes, very satisfied with the T-A IBEC. Would also like to mention something others have not. On small accessory items such as the IBEC, many times the wires are not well secured and strain relieved! Not so with the T-A unit! The wires are well secured with what appears to be epoxy. They will not be coming loose under any kind of normal operation. Well executed construction on the T-A!
Old 02-19-2014, 01:03 PM
av8tor1977

While I don't have direct hands on experience with the Tech Aero IBEC unit, I have studied it and people's opinions of it. I will definitely be using them in the future.

AV8TOR
Old 02-19-2014, 01:06 PM
zacharyR

have 5 tech aeros all working all worked have had one orange WEC fail .. and it would just stay on all the time .... got it from TBM ..
everyone likes tech aero that I know including myself .
Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

That was my post from way back before I bought the Tech-Aero IBEC. 42% went "lights out" on me and they sent me another that was DOA. I went straight to Tech-Aero and have never had a problem. I do not believe in using redundant systems and adhere to the KISS theory. Monitor your batteries and radio system and you will not have any problems.

I do not use Lipo on my Rx. I use NiCad due to the high discharge punch offered by NiCad since my ignition is online with the Rx. The IBEC is isolated from the Rx. Redundancy is not needed if you are on top of your game electronically.

AERO-TECH ! Remember it.....rely on it.......trust it!

Most all radio failures happen where within the system? Not the battery, switches, connectors, servos, RF noise, linkages.....etc.
Most radio failures are caused by a "loose nut" on the transmitter!
Flight system? Check it...recheck it....and keep on checking it...constantly.
Just because something works does not mean you don't have to check it.

Flying R/C is always a risk and a gamble. You can not completely eliminate the possibility of a systemic failure but you can reduce your odds of a failure happening. I have put a few holes in the ground in my hobby career but after the dust settles I usually find the reason. Sometimes the reason is my fault sometimes it is not.

The thrill of cheating the inevitable a majority of the time, is what makes life and my hobby interesting.

Last edited by Speedy-Gonzales; 02-20-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:39 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by Rocketman612
WOW,

Pete
So you were the one. You should have brought out the Deer Eating Popcorn, or Panda or Crocodile, or Polar Bear. No need for you to eat the shtuff......
Old 02-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Speedy-Gonzales
I have been using the Tech-Aero IBEC in 2 planes. One for 2 years now. Not a glitch. Very satisfied.
I really like having ONE switch on the side of my plane plus a LED that shows me the ignition is armed.
I have three of them and I am installing my forth right now in a plane. Zero issues to date.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:15 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have six Ultra-IBECS in five planes. My B-25 has 2 TA IBECS, 20 servos and 3 batteries. Two of my warbirds have dual Li-Ions and 3 have dual NiCd's. No problems after 2 years of flying these systems. I really enjoy being able to shut off the engines at the TX as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.