Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

RE: DLE 30 dies when upright

I've seen it many times when not done correctly.
    Now go outside and play

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it's now out of stock at VVRC http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/d...as-engine.html
    should they (VVRC) drop the price to $275 ? http://www.flybestrc.com/index.php/engines/dle30.html
    WALBRO Carburetors - Info for Dummies.
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10654463/tm.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would be careful about spending 2 cents there. If you go to the tabs on the bottom ie: about us, shipping and returns etc. they give no address, phone number and the language is who knows what.....

Good luck getting any parts or service if you have any problems.
    Quote: Hey, who put that tree there?
    Ultra Sport brotherhood #125
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Long tube into a fuselage generates a time delay for a diaphragm to react to. The functionality of a diaphragm carb is totally reliant on the ability of a diaphragm to react to immediate changes in pressure. In essence a pressure differential is being generated in the tube that is not in phase with what the engine is commanded to accomplish. Bends in that long tube make the situation even worse. When you consider the diaphragm is generating a tiny amount of pressure and suction against that pulse hole every time it moves up and down you might figure that bends in a pressure line might easily impede the ability of a diaphragm to push air. It's all basic plumbing. More than a given number of bends in any size pipe and you need a larger pump to do the same amount of work.

Most fail to consider any of that when playing with pulse tubes.
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Andika

it's now out of stock at VVRC http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/d...as-engine.html
    should they (VVRC) drop the price to $275 ? http://www.flybestrc.com/index.php/engines/dle30.html
    Why should VV drop their price? The fact they are sold out might suggest they have been quite successful at selling the product at the current price. Businesses are not in business to save someone money. They are in business to make money, but far too many today think everyone but them should do everything for free.
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

@Tired Old Man
    The tube snorkel on 3Ws is there so the carb's diaphragm sees the airpressure at the carb's opening? That's a good thing right?
    Rich Border AMA 77727
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 3w snorkel and pressure tube arrangement is one of the more effective ways of dealing with a pressure imbalance. One of the reasons I usually suggest running the open end of a diaphragm tube to against the carb intake if one is going to be used.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool that is what I did on my 150. I installed a nipple like tha 170 has and then used a short piece of tygon and a piece of soft 1/8" brass tube that I put a 90 in. No more changing tune in KE. The end of the 90 is over the intake to the venturi.

Long time no speak Rich.
    Quote: Hey, who put that tree there?
    Ultra Sport brotherhood #125
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jedijody

ORIGINAL: TimBle

yeah but the act of soldering could result in a blocked vent. Thats not good.
    You must be joking, right?
    Dude you need hang around Incompetance more. You will learn what people are really capable of then.

Had a bloke at the field who was experiencing running problems with his gasser It would die at strange moments. He mentioned all the text book gasser set up stuff and this vent tube thing.

he fiddled and fiddled. Asked how i set up my DLE 20 that it ran so reliably striaght out the box. Then we noticed I had no "vent tube".

So we broke his "vent tube" off and surely not, he had managed to solder the little hole closed.

Like Imentioned before, make no assumptions about competency.

Anyway I figured this vent tube thing must have been a work around that worked for a poorly installed engine. For the Vent to work it needs local airpressure and as long as the cowl is adequately vented to allow hot air out there should be no problem for the vent hole to equalise pressure inside and outside the carb. Adding hardware to assist it just smacks of over complicating something that should be KISS. Neer needed that mod on Go kart engine so why would Ineed it on a model airplane installation?

i can see it s good idea in theory but one with poor consequences if done incorrectly. Willing to revise my opinion on this on case by case basis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi have DLE 30 no vent tube routed, I run 100 octane low lead avation fuel with penzoil and DAMM will it run like a scalded dog

Thanks Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For the Vent to work it needs local airpressure and as long as the cowl is adequately vented to allow hot air out there should be no problem for the vent hole to equalise pressure inside and outside the carb.
    Exactly. As TimBle, T.O.M. and others have pointed out, you shouldn't need the extra tubing.

If the area inclusive of the carb is tightly enclosed, you're creating what's known as a pressure cowl and causing carb problems. In this case tho, it sounds like the unneeded tubing is the culprit.
    I might not be very good, but I am fun to watch!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd get rid of the tee and go for a 3 line set up. With a tee it just another place to draw air

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: crashprofector

Hi have DLE 30 no vent tube routed, I run 100 octane low lead avation fuel with penzoil and DAMM will it run like a scalded dog

Thanks Mike
    I run 100 octane low lead avation fuel in my 1980 850cc Yamaha Special 850....and shee run like a scaled dog too!

Thanks Capt,n
    I never met a engine I did not like !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave I have the same problem, I've done everything you have with no luck  if you ever get it fixed  please let us know what you did

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FWIW ,
    I have 3 DLE 30's running in 3 different airframes at this time . The constant with all 3 is that they all run richer in the air than on the ground . When flying inverted or knife edge they become even more rich.
    These engines need to be fully warmed before tuning (as with all gas engines).
    The high speed needle needs to be leaned to max RPM and may need to be leaned to a barely noticeable slight lean drop in RPM.
    The low speed needle needs to lean to the point that it will not take throttle and then richened only enough to the point that throttle transition from idle is without hesitation.
    These are my experiences with this specific engine and may be different from others .
    The key point here is that proper tuning on these engines is very important to get proper operation.
    If you don't have a ton of tuning experience on "Gas " engines( read as not glow )you may need to get some help locally from someone who has the experience.
    These are typically very good engines . and the most common problem and correction is the tuning.
    They don't need and don't like to be run rich.
    \"Aint this great !!\" - Chris
    \"Nosen Cessna 310 Club\" #8
    \"Cub Brotherhood\" #11

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what I did in my AW Ultimate da150cc that was having the diaphragm issue was just to put a small piece of aluminum sheet (from a beer can) in front of the diaphragm hole. I use two of the cover screws to held it in place.
    Problem solved! No tygon needed, no nipples, no nothing.
    the ultimate cowl has an air entrance just in front of the carb so the air just hits it hard while flying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sortegon

what I did in my AW Ultimate da150cc that was having the diaphragm issue was just to put a small piece of aluminum sheet (from a beer can) in front of the diaphragm hole. I use two of the cover screws to held it in place.
    Problem solved! No tygon needed, no nipples, no nothing.
    the ultimate cowl has an air entrance just in front of the carb so the air just hits it hard while flying.
    That is exactley what my friend done with his Dessert Aircraft 150cc engine. I am going to do the same. Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the advice. I ran the engine in the back yard and the problem is still present. I have followed the advice to ensure it isn’t rich, but it still isn’t right. When I turn the airplane inverted it quits. The problem must be with the pickup in the tank. I am going to get a heavier clunk and some gas-tolerant tubing that is more flexible for the pickup than the Tygon I am using.. My testing was done with ½ tank so I am thinking the pickup isn’t moving quickly enough to stay submerged in gas. I am also suspicious that the fuel tank vent line might be getting pinched in the inverted attitude. I won’t be able to do more testing until late this week.

>>

About the discussion of putting tubing on the carburetor vent and routing it into the fuselage: I have flown a DL50 for 2 years in an Extra 300. I would set the needles with the cowl off and then put the cowl on and fly; it would be slobbering rich. After taking the cowl on and off many times I routed the carburetor vent into a pill bottle in the fuselage and I had no more problems setting the needles with the cowl off and then putting it on. The settings stayed the same.

>>

>>

Thanks,

>>

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave

I found an ad for a rotating clunk in a fuel tank in the latest AMA magazine
    David
    ____I\'\'m having a Yak Attack_____

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave, was there air in the line after it cut out?
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DaveE61

Thanks for the advice. I ran the engine in the back yard and the problem is still present. I have followed the advice to ensure it isn’t rich, but it still isn’t right. When I turn the airplane inverted it quits. The problem must be with the pickup in the tank. I am going to get a heavier clunk and some gas-tolerant tubing that is more flexible for the pickup than the Tygon I am using.. My testing was done with ½ tank so I am thinking the pickup isn’t moving quickly enough to stay submerged in gas. I am also suspicious that the fuel tank vent line might be getting pinched in the inverted attitude. I won’t be able to do more testing until late this week.

>>

About the discussion of putting tubing on the carburetor vent and routing it into the fuselage: I have flown a DL50 for 2 years in an Extra 300. I would set the needles with the cowl off and then put the cowl on and fly; it would be slobbering rich. After taking the cowl on and off many times I routed the carburetor vent into a pill bottle in the fuselage and I had no more problems setting the needles with the cowl off and then putting it on. The settings stayed the same.

>>

>>

Thanks,

>>

Dave

See if you can find a way to flip the airplane upside down (engine running) with the help of a couple of helpers. If it quits...look and see if there is air in the fuel line to engine. Maybe your pickup line is too long or too stiff. Or maybe clunk came off. Make sure all internal fuel lines are secure on tubing. Good Luck Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The clunk not moving becoming a problem happens only when the plane is upside down for a long period...pinch off the fuel line sometime with the engine running and see how long it runs...You will be suprpised....
    RC Ignition

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Antique

The clunk not moving becoming a problem happens only when the plane is upside down for a long period...pinch off the fuel line sometime with the engine running and see how long it runs...You will be suprpised....
    If the engine is wide open gobbling fuel fast....not very long and she quits.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave  did you ever find out what was wrong with your engine??  I have the same engine and problum

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya...how about it Dave.....did you get theengine problem solved????? Capt,n wants to know Too!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast