Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

looking for a good 2 stroke gas oil

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

looking for a good 2 stroke gas oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: looking for a good 2 stroke gas oil

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

AH! HA HA HA HA HA ! AH ! HA HA HA HA ! THESE OIL THREADS ARE SO FUNNY! AH ! HA HA HA HA! JUST PICK ONE! if they were all that bad, do you think they would still be in business? They still make less gunk than a slimy glow, even the worst of them. Ever look at a real plane? how much oil and crap is all over them? Buy a good name brand and your o.k. (The opinions of this poster are not necessarily the opinions of the management or all the other posters in this thread)
Well the bottom of some full scale planes can be pretty darn slimey! If said plane has a big round engine up front, the dang thing probably even drips oil after flight. Even airplanes like the smaller Cessnas, etc. can blow out a fair amout of oil from time to time. Use to fly a 172 that would blow out a quart if filled to the full line but left 1 qt. low, it was fine. On some smaller planes, if they burn auto gas (STC) the bottom is often black from soot. Unless washed frequently, the bottoms of many planes is anything but clean.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

KLOTZ !! Will never fail you .............
Old 11-01-2011, 02:46 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KLOTZ !!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 02:50 PM
aussiesteve

This is indeed a funny oil thread and I see a lot of good advice in it.

The OP is trying to choose an oil based purely on keeping his plane clean. I am not so sure it is a good enough reason to decide on an oil, perhaps the link to an electric motor really would be his best choice.

That black mess on the plane is the oil doing its job and taking contaminants such as soot and wear products out of the engine.

Timble is correct, Choose a decent oil that is readily available and use it. I look for Jaso FD ratings but for the OP in this, perhaps Jaso FC would be better as it has less detergent and those wear products will stay in the engine and keep the plane clean.

Proper tuning (which tends to be leaner than most expect, If the engine starts extremely easily and immediately runs strongly when it is cold, you are too rich) will keep a lot of the slime away.

Oil threads have been done to death IMHO.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:58 PM
brian5

I use the maxima Premium 2. Very clean, fully synthetic. I break in on the maxima super M. It's a blend and not as clean as the premium. U can find it at your local motorcycle shop.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:09 PM
fred985

hehe,,,i was just going to say that my uncles REAL 180 cessnaWAS ALL STAINED AND COVERED WITH OIL,,,,my 450 stearman was totally drenched in 60 wgt ,,,it dripped of the tail feathers after belcjhing out a couple quarts when it was started up....hehe,,,,and these guys want their planes to look scale,,???? i have 123 chain saws,,and 4 other 2 cycl implements and run all on syn,,,40-1 mix,,,i run hell out of them and never had anything but need a new plug ,,,,why all the worry,,? i buy what ever is at the dealer,,,just as long as it is synthetic,,,,,,,,my rcd engines get the same ,,,,40-1 and run hell out of them.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 PM
aussiesteve

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQGWsV7uUPw[/link]

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE_HbVs3bCM&NR=1[/link]
Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 PM
armyguy466
My Feedback: (2)

my problem isn't with the mess thats just a annoyance.  my problem lies with a bad choice of oil and a crap motor that now after 2 gallons its finally coming around. just to put this out there i WILL NEVER buy a eletric plane. i would rather leave the hobby then buy a eletric plane. back to what i was origanlly try to get at i'm looking for a oil that performs well with little slugde build up in the motor.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stihl HP Ultra, Red Line Racing, Castrol 2T, Motul 800, Penzoil Air Cooled, Extra Virgin Zit Oil (kind of expensive and hard to get).

All will serve your engine well and make as little mess as any other on the market.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] Exactly! Are we done now?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Scota4570

Here is a neat oil link:

http://www.ultralighthomepage.com/OIL/oil.html

I have been using K2 Plus 2-stroke racing pre-mix, from Rock Oil Co., synthetic at 40 to 50:1. That is because bike shop next door to my work has it. I have read tests that indicated penzoil air cooled runs cleanist. I can not find any locally. I have run many kinds of 2-stroke oils and all seem to work about the same. The only exception is real castor oil. The bike shop next-door has it too. It smells real nice, nostalgic, like "race day". It really does gum up the rings. I don't try to run a mixture that is low on oil. I don't see the point. On the contrary a little extra oil will help out with compression. I have never damaged an engine due to oil failure, so far.

Compared to glow engine slime any residue from a gasser is trivial. If you want clean go electric.

I suggest that you do whatever the manufacturer of the engine tells you to do. They don't want to do warentee repairs. What they suggest is what , they believe, will save them money.

I like oil threads! It is fun to read about all the over thinking that goes into such a simple thing.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQGWsV7uUPw[/link]

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE_HbVs3bCM&NR=1[/link]
LOL
Old 11-04-2011, 01:58 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

ORIGINAL: armyguy466

won't 100:1 mix burn up the engine
Personally, I use Stihl HP Ultra and have had very good results.

I just started a new job at a Stihl dealer. Have to take some on-line schooling. This included pictures of HP Ultra compared to other oils. Pistons look almost perfect after 500 hours non stop in a BR600 back pack blower.

Ken

PS, in the process of finding out if it is possible to post those photos on this web site.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:20 PM
lrglnman

ORIGINAL: ScottMcM

Any opinions on Evolution synthetic? Looks like Zenoah bottle and oil.
I have used this oil and liked it so well i used it in my trimmer and chainsaw. very little residue . 50-1 in weedeater and saw . 30,40-1 in plane. If it werent for the pain of ordering it id use it all the time.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

Penzoil air cooled at 40/1 in all my engines over the years,DA 50'6/60's,zdz40 Da 150 3w 60/75,Dle30,Zenoha G62,26.All run fine,no mess.Never have worn one out,most will crash one before it gets weak.Think of our weed wackers do any of us worry what oil? One of my DA 50's has been in two planes with about 800 12 minute flights.Still runs like new and shows 7100rpm on a Vess 23A.