Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

NGH 35 CC Gas engine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:38 AM
chandley43231
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NGH 35 CC Gas engine.

ok just got this engine from mike68charger  an found he ran all thread threw the muffler housing an used form a gasket on the back what a mess but i guess it works compared to the loosing of the muffler nuts internally not good
Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 AM
mchandrayan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chandley could you post pictures of the fix you describe?
And I still stand by my earlier comments about those lousy gaskets.
I changed the gaskets, changed the 6 M3 bolts to 20mm length used nord lock washers on all 6 (had to grind off the washers and a bit on the muffler for the washers to seat). Changed the two M5 bolts to 15mm length and used nordlocks there as well.
Total run time about 5 minutes and what do we have? The main gaskets are gone and that gap created is start of the bolts loosening.
Next fix cut my own gaskets or use high temp RTV for gasket. Next time I would rather buy a DLE
Old 06-23-2013, 09:24 AM
j301
My Feedback: (12)

Has anyone tried high temp thread locker on these bolts?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 AM
mchandrayan

J301
The biggest problem with that I see is if one has to dismantle the muffler for any reason.
How come the manufacturer has no help to offer here and we want either from the horses mouth or from people who have been actually using the engines (certainly not from people who have friends and relatives flying these engines)
Old 06-23-2013, 12:06 PM
j301

I found this (sort of): http://palmlabsthreadlockers.com/thr...ll-bolts-up-to
It says its removable high temp thread lock, equivalent to Loctite 246, but I cant find a place that sells it in less amounts then a case at a time. Guess I could look for the 246 some more, but so far its all been huge (for lock tight) bottles for too much $$$. (not going to spend $100 to throw away, or never use, 99.872 % of it![:@])
Old 06-23-2013, 12:58 PM
johnboy151a
My Feedback: (68)

j301, Did you ever figure out what happened with your P-40 crash?

John
Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 PM
chandley43231

ok getin pics up  be in 5

Old 06-23-2013, 02:19 PM
j301

ORIGINAL: johnboy151a

j301, Did you ever figure out what happened with your P-40 crash?

John
No, not really. A couple of theories: 1) the airflow over the carb too disturbed 2) not enough airflow to cool, though the bottom of the cowl was cut out quite a bit, maybe not enough inlet? 3) needs more tuning/break in. The airframe itself, I relocated the batteries farther back and up in the turtle deck so perhaps top/tail heavy contributed to the snapping, a trait it did not have with the 180 in it. I am working on an F4U for it now, will see how it goes. A bit worried about the gasket and loose bolt issues. I paid too much for this motor I believe, bought it when it was "new" then a bit underwhelmed at it being pretty much a reworked glow motor. Perhaps it is worth what they are charging now, time will tell. If it faults out again, I will tell everyone every way I know how to!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:44 PM
johnboy151a

Starting to wish I had gotten the DLE-35RE.
John
Old 06-23-2013, 04:21 PM
j301

Starting to wish I had gotten the DLE-35RE.
John
Im not giving up hope yet, but I will say that THE reason I went with the NGH (No Good Huh?) is it was rail mount, what I needed for the CMP P-40. It was about the same prince then, but I believe less expensive now then the DLE, the 35R for sure. I wonder if Bowmen bakes a ring for it, and if its worth trying. I know that most DLE guys go with Bowman rings for the improved performance.

Its ironic, "the circle of life" in my case; started with a CMP F4U with a Magnum (ASP) 180 4c in, crashed it getting it too slow trying to get a stuck gear down (clogged sel. vlv turns out), put the 180 in the P40, sold the 180 to get the NGH, now the NGH is going back into a CMP F4U (on a large Great Planes eng. mount=where the stand-off mount DLE would have worked)... These are the Days of our Planes...
Old 06-23-2013, 04:56 PM
johnboy151a

Honestly I got this engine for a future project the I probably wont start any time soon. I have the short-kit for the Dave Anderson Howard Pete, and this engine fit the plans just right. The original build calls for a Saito 150-180, but others that have built this plane said that the Airframe only lasted a few years due to the "sloppy, messy" nature of the Saito. So for now I will learn as much as I can from listening to folks that are using this engine now.
If you find out about the Bowmen ring, please let me know.
Good luck with your Corsair!

John
Old 06-23-2013, 05:06 PM
mchandrayan

J301 you rule out the carb position theory as I have no such issues and my carb sticksjust behind the cutouts in the cowl for intake. I would sure ivestigate on heating especially if the muffler was rear mounted. The engine head kind of covers. The entire muffler and blanks out most airflow to the muffler. So unless you have ducts/baffles directing air to the right places I would suspect it to be heat issue.
Another point worth noting about the NGH is the parts availability
I ordered some from Himodels in China. Was told that the NGH factory was under reorganization (does that mean having troubles) and it would be few weeks before they would ship.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 PM
j301

ORIGINAL: mchandrayan

J301 you rule out the carb position theory as I have no such issues and my carb sticksjust behind the cutouts in the cowl for intake. I would sure ivestigate on heating especially if the muffler was rear mounted. The engine head kind of covers. The entire muffler and blanks out most airflow to the muffler. So unless you have ducts/baffles directing air to the right places I would suspect it to be heat issue.
Another point worth noting about the NGH is the parts availability
I ordered some from Himodels in China. Was told that the NGH factory was under reorganization (does that mean having troubles) and it would be few weeks before they would ship.
What plane is your's mounted in? Normally I would agree about the carb, but the p40, or at least mine, struck me as odd placement.
Could be a heat issue, but it didnt run all that long, I'd say a normal "start, brief warm up, check throttle up, taxi out" routine. It wasn't its first run either, I had done some ground handling checks a little earlier, but the engine was luke-warm I would say when I started the test (or last) flight. Either way, once I get it in the corsair I will be paying close attention to all those factors.

As far as the "restructuring," if that means what it usually means, looks like we might be stuck with some "brand new legacy" equipment![X(]
Old 06-23-2013, 06:31 PM
chandley43231

Omg get a one piece muffler at age racing 24.99$
Old 06-23-2013, 06:52 PM
johnboy151a

Well...! Send the link!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:22 PM
mchandrayan

Have been searching for a suitable one piece muffler for this engine but to no avail, other than getting one custom made. A link to the above said one piece muffler would be helpful.

j301 my engine is currently on a world models Extra 300 the 160 size.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 PM
j301

Thanks, the reason I ask is because the motor didn't start spuddering until it was moving faster then taxi. Never on the bench during break in, not on the plane when I ran it on the ground to finish the break in, and not during taxi or engine run up.

And looking up age racing, omg, soo many choices, and so not rc stuff
Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 PM
mchandrayan

In such a situation a fast taxi down the runway without the cowl would havwe confirmed if cowl was the culprit. Oh well may be next time.
Also I am sure the front mounted carb is not the culprit as if it was all those millions of engine with front carb would not have been happily running and flying
Old 06-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Turk1

J301
The biggest problem with that I see is if one has to dismantle the muffler for any reason.
How come the manufacturer has no help to offer here and we want either from the horses mouth or from people who have been actually using the engines (certainly not from people who have friends and relatives flying these engines)
Hi, then why dont you try to contact with him by http://www.nghengine.com/lxwm.asp ????

Old 06-24-2013, 06:40 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: j301

Thanks, the reason I ask is because the motor didn't start spuddering until it was moving faster then taxi. Never on the bench during break in, not on the plane when I ran it on the ground to finish the break in, and not during taxi or engine run up.

Actually when reading your first description I thought "that sounds like an air problem I have run into on other engines and solved". When you made the above comment I decided that my experience should be shared.

Many pump style carburetors have a 'normal air' breathe hole near the diaphragm (?) and if that is in the rushing air (facing the intake), you tend to get unpredictable results from the carburetor. There are normally 4 screws that hold the diaphragm plate on, cut a chunk of tin can to cover the entire plate, sand the edges to reduce the cut tendency and secure it under 2 of the screws leaving between 1/8 and 1/4 inch air gap under the far side. This shield puts the hole in the lee of the wind and solved my problems on several other gassers.

Good luck. And please report.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 AM
mchandrayan

Turk
I would rather spend my money (next time) on some thing that works rather than spend time sending fruitless mail and waiting endlessly for a reply.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 AM
j301

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

ORIGINAL: j301

Actually when reading your first description I thought ''that sounds like an air problem I have run into on other engines and solved''. When you made the above comment I decided that my experience should be shared.

Many pump style carburetors have a 'normal air' breathe hole near the diaphragm (?) and if that is in the rushing air (facing the intake), you tend to get unpredictable results from the carburetor. There are normally 4 screws that hold the diaphragm plate on, cut a chunk of tin can to cover the entire plate, sand the edges to reduce the cut tendency and secure it under 2 of the screws leaving between 1/8 and 1/4 inch air gap under the far side. This shield puts the hole in the lee of the wind and solved my problems on several other gassers.

Good luck. And please report.
You know, now that you say that I remember reading about this issue in the past (before getting into gassers) where one person fixed this issue by soldering a nipple over the hole and running tubing to the inside of the fuse. (or some where less turbulent/hot) to solve his issue.

That I believe speaks to "all those millions of engine with front carb would not have been happily running and flying", as I am not saying its an overall design issue, its an issue with this install, and I don't believe I am the only one who ever experience this. Yes, fast taxis with no cowl wold have been nice, but you know what they say about hindsight. What I can do is re-research this and try it on the next one.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM
johnboy151a

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...69/key_/tm.htm

About half way down the page
Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM
j301

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...69/key_/tm.htm

About half way down the page
Wow man that was some fast service! You should change your name to johnyonthespot151a!
Really though, thanks, I will be reading that over tonight!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:20 PM
johnboy151a

And again....

http://www.thunderboltrc.com/tutoria...ial_seven.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.