Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Carb Dripping Gas at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:38 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb Dripping Gas at Idle

I just thought id share my experience, and maybe someone else can learn from my experience. I had just finished installing a new diaphragm and pump membrane in a wj-71... i like to replace them on a yearly basis... long story short, i had the cowl off and was tuning the engine, and i noticed at idle fuel was dripping like crazy... i guess that explains why the inside of the engine box is all oily, i could understand a little but this one is pretty bad

so i decided to try out my brother cool new tool to adjust the needle valve lever or metering float(ive heard it called both ways)

i bent the lever till it was flush or just barely touch the tool by a hair, and cranked up my motor and it didnt drip one bit

success! this was something that i was always scared to attempt but i got the b@lls to do it and it worked! this website helped too http://footflyer.com/fix/motor/carburetor/walbro.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69217.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1687531  
Old 11-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Carb Dripping Gas at Idle

Curious, was the fork engaged with button on the diaphragm when it was leaking or was the button sitting on top of the fork?

The height gauge is a useful tool for those that obtain one. Good to see your resourcefulness and willingness to try new things.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:17 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Curious, was the fork engaged with button on the diaphragm when it was leaking or was the button sitting on top of the fork?

The height gauge is a useful tool for those that obtain one. Good to see your resourcefulness and willingness to try new things.

yes the fork was engaged when i had the leaking issue... i tripple checked it
Old 11-17-2011, 07:06 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lever height in the WJ carbs is very critical. I also found that the forked lever will sometimes bind and prevent proper operation. Snipping off the membrane engaging part , filing all protrusions nice and flush, restores proper function.