brycesteenburg
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tired Old Man and Jody

#1 Opinionated with an attitude and real knowledge. 10%
#2 Opinionated with an attitude and pretend knowledge. 85%
#3 Opinionated with an attitude and "out there". 5%

#1 when you find people like this= keep them as your friends
#2 when you find people like this= the aquaintances' you are around for the most part of your day
#3 when you find people like this= best observed from afar as cheap entertainment.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 PM
thepamster

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

I sure hope that I was part of the reason they left...

Good Riddance. You don't need to be kicked around asking a question. Yes, there will always be newbies. Two stroke gas engines are NOT rocket science... fuel, air, spark.

I doubt very seriously that they would give you that kind of credit but let me say this to you Sir that YOU are part of the problem and certainly not any part of the solution.

The Pamster
Old 12-02-2011, 05:59 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Hmmm

"Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins."

Not a bad way to live if you ask me.

I guess it just gets some peoples panties in a bunch.
LOL

Old 12-02-2011, 06:02 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Yep so simple, anybody can do it. That I made my living for 15years working on such simple engines says what about the average modeler. Maybe that some could learn things from TOM & Jodi. Now they will learn the same lession but at cost

Good Riddance. You don't need to be kicked around asking a question. Yes, there will always be newbies. Two stroke gas engines are NOT rocket science... fuel, air, spark.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:04 PM
impulse09
My Feedback: (3)

Learned a lot from them, mixed feelings overall. Whatevs.

Maybe they can start their own website.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:13 PM
RTK

Ain't that the truth

ORIGINAL: brycesteenburg

#1 Opinionated with an attitude and real knowledge. 10%
#2 Opinionated with an attitude and pretend knowledge. 85%
#3 Opinionated with an attitude and ''out there''. 5%

#1 when you find people like this= keep them as your friends
#2 when you find people like this= the aquaintances' you are around for the most part of your day
#3 when you find people like this= best observed from afar as cheap entertainment.
ORIGINAL: wahoo

Hmmm

''Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.''

Not a bad way to live if you ask me.

I guess it just gets some peoples panties in a bunch.
LOL

Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 PM
aussiesteve

Jeez. The thread got all quiet all of a sudden. Must be a lot of popcorn being made.

Pat and Jody (and Pe and Milton and Ralph) taught me a lot about how best to choose and set up gassers for this hobby of ours. When I had a question on setup, they gave me direct answers. When I was importing and trying to provide support for those imports, they gave me honest opinions. Sometimes, the advice given wasn't what I wanted to hear but it was honest and straightforward. Some of that advice was discussed "off line".

By paying attention to that advice, I realised that the cheap junk engines I was importing and trying to use had a lot of things lacking, little things like quality, performance curves and true value for money. I decided I needed to find a better brand to use so I turned to those mentioned (and a couple of others) and asked for a suggestion. They came back with a resounding agreement on 3 particular brands that I continue to use today (I no longer sell or import anything because I prefer to enjoy my flying).

Having experienced that advice and then having followed that advice. I am really enjoying my engines now. I take them out of the box, bolt them to the plane, they take a few rocks of the prop to get the fuel to the carb for the first time, a couple of flips with the choke on to prime them and a flip with the choke off to start them. I then go and enjoy the power curve that goes right throughout the full throttle range. What I didn't enjoy at first was learning how to select the right prop as I needed to add about 2" of prop to my thinking based on the Engine sizes (30/10 or 30/12 2bl on a "100cc" Engine, 24/10 on a 3d plane with a "58cc" one !!!) . As for tuning? What about it. It rarely needs to be touched after the engine is broken in.

And for those comparing this forum with the "FG" one. I would say it is more like:
This one has the newbies because the name is easier to find when you google the term "RC" (we wouldn't want the kiddies to actually make an effort now would we - that isn't real life is it?)
The "FG" one has the DA users. (Don't believe me? - post something negative about them over there and see what happens)

The 3rd one where the subjects now hang out has a lot of experienced people who fly for fun, post for fun and enjoy the hobby because they know what they are doing.

Bob P - there was a discussion on the 3rd of the forums mentioned above about your absence. It has certainly been noticed.

1 1/2 turns open
28 degrees
Stihl Ultra HP at 40:1 or 50:1
20 thou or the thickness of an exacto blade.
Check for air leaks.
Bearings failed? Well - it was cheap to buy wasn't it!!

That is pretty much all you need to know
Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Whistling Death

aussiesteve, you are correct about FG. That a forum for the DA fanboy clique, nothing more.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Tko310
My Feedback: (7)

The grump old man crap is all fine a good, but rather unnessecery. When i started in R/C there were 20 kids then 2 years later there were 2. Grumpy, demeaning advice drove people away... kids. I stuck with it because i was use to it. But the truth is, it's hog wash. I have read many of these posts and constant bickering is trouble some. It is possible to be right and wrong at the same time. Say the right things the wrong way and people wont listen. History will show that saying the wrong things the right way will facilitate listening! Regardless, when the dilevery sucks people are put off.

IMO FAQ from the expert would be have mitigated many arguments. These people appointed themselves to expert, great, then minimize the drama by not participating as they did. I am sorry that experienced advice is gone but there is still alot out there. unfortunately they did it to themselves, and we lose.
Tighe O'Meara
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wesaysoracing

Antique and Milton are trying to bump me out of the top ten in the grumpy section
I thought I was no two Grumpy,now I am PO.O well too old to worry about it.
Youll never no how little I really care.Jody that was just plain mean.LOL
BC-Used to be BCCHI AMA 2500 original.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 PM
K-Bob

Well let see here. I never mentioned either one of their skills or demeaned them, they are fine engine guys indeed. Yet I have some of their fiercest sock puppets call me "dumb-ass" and my statement as "assanine". Kind of shows you the blinders some folks wear when the king(s) have no clothes. Another note. Apparently some are not only allowed to make personal attacks , but they can also use profanity on this site. Nice. Some are more equal than others.

It's probably a good thing they left, T.O.M. in particular. They no longer found it fun to help and, as someone else already pointed out, if you can't find your answer in the newbie thread, you are too stupid to deserve attention from the almighty two.

I also followed the thread over on FG that T.O.M. left over. He was wrong, he knew it, and rather than do what was right he threw a tantrum and left along with his contingent of sheep. Yes, they all reside over a Flying circus where they hold daily circle jerks. He is a moderator over there so he pretty much gets his way and it shows in the quality of the posting.

Nothing personal. It's just like a boss I had early on in my career put it. Watch your attitude and watch how you treat people. No one is so good that they can't be replaced.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:58 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just because someone is an expert on a particular subject does not give them the right to chastize another for asking questions pertaining to that subject, even if they were asked a hundred times before. Just imagine a school teacher yelling at his/her students for not looking up ananswer before asking it. Or scolding a student for asking a question twice. and thats thier job!! Don't we all do this airplanestuff for fun,I am willing to answer ANYTHINGICANANYAMOUNTOFTIMES!!!If you are ticked off at aposter for asking something without looking through100+ pages of crap first,DONTANSWERHIM!!! it's more work to writeup an essay scolding a member than it is to answer the question innitially. That's what these boards are for.Speaking to someone (even over the discussion boards) in the manner they have is just plain WRONG!!!People like that are the reason others dont join RC clubs or wont ask anything on RCU. Rotten out!!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:18 AM
RiverLarry

K Bob !!! food for thought I went back and read Post # 1 and the way it looks !!! it was Jody who started the whole thing !!!

I have talk to him on the phone !!!! I have PM him !!! and he has done nothing but help me out and I did not even get my DLE 20 from

VVRC!!!! I too get a little fed up with people asking the same QT. over and over again with what I do !!! but such is life

but life does go on !!!

every time I got a notis a new post was up I could not wait to log on the site to see what else I could learn !!! but after a while I would say

to my self what the heck is that all about !!!! I can see why he got burnt OUT !!! I dont even look any more I need INPUT not BS

MY $0.02 R/L

P/S and I am not raging on you just my input
Old 12-03-2011, 03:36 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thePamster

I am part of the problem?? not bloody likely! I stuck up for the guys getting bashed for asking a question. Have an opinion different from the anointed one (TOM generally no prob w/Jody but he can be a PITA 2)? You don't need to grovel for an answer and felt to be nothing because you asked a question.

No Sir/Mam/It.... YOU ARE THE PROBLEM BECAUSE YOU DON'T CALL OUT THESE ABUSIVE PERSONALITIES AND LET IT CONTINUE. So what if they didn't use a search engine or read the stickies. If you feel you have to treat people that way, maybe you need to leave or just stop answering any questions. The world will not fall apart because someone else answered.

If I helped TOM move on before he got banned from his second forum, then so be it.

If you want to help the hobby grow, help the newbie, don't throw a wet blanket on their enthusiasm. Just funding the cost of this hobby is enough to keep most out.

ORIGINAL: thepamster

I doubt very seriously that they would give you that kind of credit but let me say this to you Sir that YOU are part of the problem and certainly not any part of the solution.

The Pamster
Old 12-03-2011, 03:59 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Only rich people can afford cheap stuff!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 AM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

thePamster

I am part of the problem?? not bloody likely! I stuck up for the guys getting bashed for asking a question. Have an opinion different from the anointed one (TOM generally no prob w/Jody but he can be a PITA 2)? You don't need to grovel for an answer and felt to be nothing because you asked a question.

No Sir/Mam/It.... YOU ARE THE PROBLEM BECAUSE YOU DON'T CALL OUT THESE ABUSIVE PERSONALITIES AND LET IT CONTINUE. So what if they didn't use a search engine or read the stickies. If you feel you have to treat people that way, maybe you need to leave or just stop answering any questions. The world will not fall apart because someone else answered.

If I helped TOM move on before he got banned from his second forum, then so be it.

If you want to help the hobby grow, help the newbie, don't throw a wet blanket on their enthusiasm. Just funding the cost of this hobby is enough to keep most out.

[/quote]

You just keep on believing you're the reason they left, sunshine
Old 12-03-2011, 05:13 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This goes to show how a group sometimes will talk about you when you leave the room?
Old 12-03-2011, 05:13 AM
tony0707

HI
quality does not cost -it pays ! !
you get what you pay for ( 95 % of the time )
most people can only get fooled once by an inferior product-and not at all with good info posted by our RC mates-,so product is short lived in this world of intense communication
this thread may do a lot to get us back on track to being good RC buddy's and sharing what we have experience with others in a positive way
that is the best that can come from this
not easy to learn about RC without some help from others ( clubs,club trainers-the engine guy at the field ( me ) )
i got so much help from the best at the CEDAR CREEK AERODROME in SEAFORD Long Isand NEW YORK -22 years ago -i truly feel a need to give back to anyone who is starting out or wants to move forward in flying RC

BEST REGARDS TONY

Old 12-03-2011, 05:52 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

C'mon, please? Let's just move on?
Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 AM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always just live by this motto as far as questions go:

"I may have answered this question a thousand times already but this may be the first time this person has asked me this question..."

Rick
Old 12-03-2011, 06:27 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some people have acquired great knowledge….and some people are called to teach. Much of the time these attributes do not overlap. Teachers have a way to view students uniquely and individually each time the same question is asked over a period of 30 years or more. I live with a teacher of 33 years. She teaches kids with learning difficulties and answers the same questions over and over often for the same child. I am always amazed that teachers don’t have all knowledge like I once thought. But they are continually learning/acquiring knowledge. Their secret is that they know how to relentlessly, tirelessly, pursue a relationship with their students encouraging and building their knowledge at almost any expense. You have had these people in your life. You may not have even realized it at the time.

We should not be discouraged by knowledgeable people who tire of teaching others. They are probably not teachers but people who simply have great knowledge. As they move on to other places to teach they will probably tire from the same issues.

Some people are teachers and some have great knowledge. Sometimes that is not the same person.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:31 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I said "IF", I don't presume to have much effect on any one... check the prior threads... what did you do?

Knowledge should be used wisely.

ORIGINAL: wahoo

You just keep on believing you're the reason they left, sunshine
Old 12-03-2011, 07:13 AM
RoyR

ORIGINAL: MercerAUST

It's a bit funny. Someone leaves the forum so they don't waste time getting sucked into endless and circular debates , but they still get a thread dedicated to them which is endless and circular!

What's even funnier, I could leave the forum and no one would notice.

Wait, that's not funny.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:27 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: tevans55

Some people have acquired great knowledge….and some people are called to teach. Much of the time these attributes do not overlap. Teachers have a way to view students uniquely and individually each time the same question is asked over a period of 30 years or more. I live with a teacher of 33 years. She teaches kids with learning difficulties and answers the same questions over and over often for the same child. I am always amazed that teachers don’t have all knowledge like I once thought. But they are continually learning/acquiring knowledge. Their secret is that they know how to relentlessly, tirelessly, pursue a relationship with their students encouraging and building their knowledge at almost any expense. You have had these people in your life. You may not have even realized it at the time.

We should not be discouraged by knowledgeable people who tire of teaching others. They are probably not teachers but people who simply have great knowledge. As they move on to other places to teach they will probably tire from the same issues.

Some people are teachers and some have great knowledge. Sometimes that is not the same person.

So far, this is undoubtedly the best and most important and relevant post in this whole thread . . .

Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: w8ye

This goes to show how a group sometimes will talk about you when you leave the room?
I think it shows what effect an individual can have on a group of other people. It only takes 1 quart of oil to contaminate 1 million gallons of water.
Since he is gone people feel obliged to speak out.

Like many have said here, it doesn't matter what you know if you can't deliver the message in a tactful way.
As much as I respected his knowledge on gas engines I stopped reading his posts because of the inevitable rancor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.