Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

RCD 26 CC Gas Engine from Hobby King

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCD 26 CC Gas Engine from Hobby King

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:27 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: RCD 26 CC Gas Engine from Hobby King

Eyeballing the model from the Nitro web site, the size spinner shown seems to be about a 2.5" which is really just a recommendation, as most times you can choose a size larger or smaller that might be more pleasing to you.

Karol
Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 AM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Karol,

I'm either gonna go with 2.5" or 3".

I've decided about the motor. Today I'm gonna pick up DLE 20 CC off the shelf from my LHS. I don't know if for Christmas there would be some special offers coming up and there would be any discount available but max 10% off, which hopefully I'd be able to get it from my LHS.

From the bottom of my heart I would like to Thank you all respected fliers for supporting me and encouraging me with great inputs. I'd keep y'all posted and waiting desperately on Monday for my plane to be delivered. I'm certainly gonna upload some pix on it.

One more question, do I really have to use a wooden prop, and or I can go with MAS? and I'm planning to break in with 16X6 and may be using 17X6 on it. What do y'all say? Spinner has to be metallic or it can be plastic one either, as I'm also kinda trying to keep myself within the limits in monetary terms.

Mody
Old 12-02-2011, 08:33 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I really like the APC prop myself. Dennis
Old 12-02-2011, 09:38 AM
armody

I've been using APC on my glow planes.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
sautterjw
My Feedback: (4)

I really think you will be happier going with wood on gasser.  The wood prop you can easily flip by hand to start the engine.  Always wear a glove.  Also, in my opinon they break a little easier on impact which in turn saves the crank on your nice new DLE. I say go with the wood prop.  I believe Evolution makes a cheaper wood prop for gassers that you could check out.

John

Old 12-02-2011, 11:59 AM
trnt_west

hey armody, i also have ordered this plane and will be recieving it on tuesday next week, i also have a brand new dle 20 that i plan on putting in it. i mean at around $160 shipped i couldnt pass up this plane. with that being said id like to hear from you on your set up and layout of your engine and other radio components and all and hopefully we can both learn alittle from each other as this is my first gas plane as well. look forward to seeing your build!!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Slugs

I am just getting back into flying from an absence of about 40 years so things have changes drasticly. When you guys mention Gas as apposed to glow engines do you mean regular gasoline? I used to favor a plane with a 60" wing span and I used a .60 glow engine. Is there somewhere that compares glow engines with 4 stroke and gas as to power? For example what gas engine is equivilant to .60 glow engine etc. or what 4 stroke is similar to a .60 glow engine. What electric engine is similar to a .60 glow. I loved the glow engines I used but I hated to clean up all the mess from the burned fuel. Thanks I can only learn by asking. Even if it sounds dumb to some of you guys that are familiar with all the new RC stuff.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 PM
overbuild

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it has not been mentioned in prior posts I would suggest a opti kill switch also. Valley View I beleive sells a switch by RCEXL ck out their web site for info.It is a good safety device to have on any gas engine. If it is of any help to you a 4.8volt 1500ma ingnition battery gives me over one hour flying time.I would not use a one battery system in my models.Also 4.8 volt battery is plenty for ingnition.    
Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
armody

Hello Slugs,

My way of posting here is I address everybody and everybody is very respectable to me. No question is a dumb question, I learned a lot over here, rcuniverse is like a university to me and I'm in computers IT, nobody can ever claim about computer that they know it all since issues, problems, can be drastic, undiagnosable and undetected, or just get away by just rebooting a server or a work station. Anyway, ain't here to lecture on the computers. My transition to gas is a huge one, as I have Strega 40 size with TT .46 glow, and I'd also like to have a 60 size plane with 4 stroke glow or .61 depends upon money. I always wanted to fly a gassers, yes, it does use real gasoline and I'm learning, 81 or 87% Octane contained gas and some 30:1 mixing oil, just trying to remember all that stuff. I know that .46 CI is equivalent to nearly 8CC motor, and .60 is for 10CC and 1.20CI is 20CC. Gas is cheap as compare to glow fuel, less gunk and it's said no more hassles in tune up and all the other stuff. This is an open forum you can ask as many questions as you want as I'm doing the same, and this is my forum and nobody's hijacking it and you asking the questions giving me more encouragement to learn and move on.[8D]

sautterjw Well, honestly speaking that's what I was told that wooden props are easily broken, so they won't let the crank damage or it won't throw it outta whack. Xoar are around $15 dollars, and I'm gonna check out how much Evolution makes it, Xoar has a pretty good reputation so I may with a wooden prop of Xoar. Do I have to balance to wooden prop too? here comes the question lol I'm gonna go on with 16X6 for break in and may be 17x6 for flying or gonna use the same. So thank you and I'm gonna go on with wooden prop.

trnt west Wow ain't it amazing to have such a coincidence, same plane same engine wow again let alone first gasoline for both of us, amazing. I'm lucky in a way that my mentor is gonna be helping me out in putting this plane together, and mine is gonna be delivered one day prior to yours. I've also been reading that it may have 71" or 72" wing span rather than 69". I cannot afford more than 20CC at the moment, so I'm gonna stick to what I have. I would post the pix and I would stay in touch with you trnt_west.

Keep this forum grow and throw in your best ideas and your thoughts. I gotta read up on many other stuff on gas forums.

Happy flying y'all and have a great weekend.

Mody
Old 12-02-2011, 04:15 PM
karolh

All props regardless of type or brand should be balanced before use.

Karol
Old 12-02-2011, 06:37 PM
littlera

I think most users will choose the DLE 20 engine over the RCG (also sold as RCGF 26). Users have found that the DLE 20 is at least as powerful in real world terms as the 26. Don't get me wrong, the 26 is a good engine - I have one myself. As others have noted, the DLE engines are probably the best of the lot out of China, and seem to have fewer quality problems. The DLE 20 is immensely popular - I am guessing it currently outsells all other gassers. There is safety in numbers, with a huge amount of information about the quirks and handling of this little engine on RCU and other sites. The beam mounting scheme is more in line with the way modelers are use to mounting their engines (glow), and I believe it is a more sturdy mounting system. Service is readily available in the USA and probably most other countries where R/C flying is popular.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Catalinaflyer

I just got one of these from the USA warehouse delivered Monday night. I'm putting it in a Hangar 9 Hellcat. I'm going to the LHS tomorrow to find an inverted pitts style muffler and get to work installing it. First impressions comparing to the DLE's we have, the finish is raw right out of the casting, the carb is a walbro knockoff, the supplied muffler has a lot of pinholes in the weld joints. Otherwise it loos to be of decent quality, the one page instructions are average chinglish and made decent starter for the wood burning stove.

More to come.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:06 AM
armody

Guys,

I just got DLE20 from my LHS, returned the boxed Revolver 40 paid the difference and got the DLE20, I'm gonna need help of a guy at my club how to break in.
I'd keep y'all posted.

Mody
Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: armody

Guys,

I just got DLE20 from my LHS, returned the boxed Revolver 40 paid the difference and got the DLE20, I'm gonna need help of a guy at my club how to break in.
I'd keep y'all posted.

Mody
armody, if you're used to APC there's no real good reason to switch to anything else, especially if flying from a grass strip. They make a 17x6W that really works great on the DLE20! Very popular among the guys flying them. If I were flying from pavement I might be concerned about the bent crank deal, but I've never seen it happen on dirt. Been flying a long time. Not saying impossible, just not very likely....

The reason the DLE20 works so much better than the RCGF 26 (I have one too!) is about 8 ozs! That's all the difference in the world!

Old 12-03-2011, 10:59 PM
armody

ahicks

With the purchase of my DLE 20, I got me Zinger's 16X6 wooden prop. They ran out of Xoar's 16X6 wooden prop. I saw Evolution's black nylon prop 16X6

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-16x6-EVO16060

My LHS's owner Randy got me APC 16X6 and told me to use it. My club's landing strip is quite bumpy and it's sand and grass mixed landing strip, it can be said as grass strip. I went ahead and got me the wooden zinger's prop. My 40 size Strega had many nose overs but if I had to keep my elevator pulled it's gonna be fine. The plane I got is big size of course so, nose over chances are pretty slim. If I were to get my a nylon prop, I might get Evolution one. BTW that's the first time I'm gonna use the wooden prop and I never used it in my entire flying years. Main thing is that I gotta break in first for which I'm sure some of the guys at my club would be happy to help me out and one guy told he will. I'm gonna see what he says about it, either use wooden or Nylon prop.

Thanks for great input y'all.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:01 AM
karolh

Gas engines do not need to be broken in on the bench like glow engines, just run a few ounces of fuel through it to get accustomed to the engine, tune the carb and go fly. Just for the first gallon or so, no extended full power verticals or wide open runs, just keep it nice and easy and the engine will thank you for it. You can also use the search feature here to get information on how to tune your gas engine.

Karol
Old 12-05-2011, 11:06 AM
armody

Karol,

Thank you very much once again for the great input. My plane has arrived today and I'm really excited about it to see it when I get back home at 10pm. I gotta learn a lot of thing about the DLE 20. I'm taking a trip to my home country on Dec 21st and getting back on Jan 9th due to the illness of my sister.

I'd start putting the plane back together with the help of my mentor following my return to USA. I'd keep y'all posted and try to post the pix as well.

Thanks once again y'all.

Mody
Old 12-05-2011, 12:19 PM
DadsToysBG

Hope your sister does well and enjoy your trip. Dennis
Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 PM
armody

Thanks Dennis for such kind words, I really appreciate it.

BTW

http://manuals.hobbico.com/dle/dleg0020-manual.pdf

Is it the accurate and complete manual for DLE 20?

Mody
Old 12-05-2011, 01:37 PM
armody

Hi there all.

I have understood well enough that I need to use 2 battery packs. One battery pack which supplied power to the receiver which is connected to the on/off switch and has a charging connector for the battery pack.

Other battery pack is used particularly for the DLE's 20 or gas engine's ignition and it would be connected through a similar on/off switch as depicted in this attached picture which I took it from DLE 20's manual.

Now my question is, in addition to that on/off switch, do I have to purchase a kill switch too? or do I have to kill my engine from the TX. Does that kill switch which needs to be installed separately is used to kill the running engine or what exactly is the purpose of using it.

Thanks a lot in advance for clarifying it to me.

Mody
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20900.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1695722  
Old 12-05-2011, 01:46 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: armody

do I have to purchase a kill switch too? or do I have to kill my engine from the TX.

Mody
No set you engine up so that it idles with the engine trim in the middle of it's range, move the trim down the engine dies. Free kill switch. Double sure to die, put the choke on a servo, soldier the hole in the choke plate closed, kills the engine and the choke works better too.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:11 PM
armody

Cool,

So it means that I WON'T need no kill switch. I say Thank GOD for having Hitec's Aurora 9 2.4 GHz transmitter, at least I do not have to worry about more channels.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM
DadsToysBG

KISS is the key word. Dennis
Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM
karolh

There are two distinct schools of thought regarding the use of electronic Tx operated engine kill switches. Some believe it is a definite must on large gas powered models, while others think that it is not a necessity. As for myself I much prefer to have one than not, but as Soarrich suggested, a well adjusted carb/radio combo and a properly installed servo activated choke system works quite well. On the other hand some like having the added safety of a Tx activated on/off switch. Some folks pefer peaches some prefer pears, it's all a matter of choice.

Karol
Old 12-05-2011, 03:23 PM
armody

Well said, it pretty much makes sense and I'm gonna do as per my convenience and choice. Whatever is gonna work for me, I'm gonna do that.

Mody

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.