Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Rear Intake reed problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:48 AM
Frank C. Bowman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Intake reed problems

I installed a new Bowman ring in a DLE 30 rear intake engine for a friend. After installation compression doubled before starting engine so compression was already very good. With cowl off of plane and plane secured in blocks I turned prop over 1 turn to bring fuel up to carb. Fuel went 1/2 way up fuel line and dropped back toward tank. My friend had complained about low compression and that engine was very hard to start. I remover carb and plastic reed block from the engine to inspect. I noticed that both reeds were slightly open just a few thousants. I removed the 2 screws that held reeds to see why reeds wouldn't lay flat against reed block. The plastic block is cast and reed surface is not flat for a good positive seal against plastic reeds. I taped down a piece of 320 grit sand paper to edge of flat table top to lap reed block surface down flat. Reed block has a lip where it mounts to carb so place sandpaper on the edge of flat surface with lip hanging over the edge. lap each of the sides down lightly until flat, it doesn't take very much to do. The holes on the 2 steel reed retainer plate are punched, not drilled. So file or hone the 2 plate bottoms flat and remove burrs. Place reeds back on plastic block and screw back in place but be careful as you can strip holes easily if you tighten too much. You can add a tiny bit of locktite to make sure screws don't backout and go into engine. Make sure reeds are totally flat against reed block. If not remove reed and turn it over , often times one side of reed is flatter than the other. Upon doing this simple mod. I reinstalled card and tested the fuel draw problem. Upon turning prop 1 turn fuel now instantly was drawn up to carb and stayed there. My friend turned on the power switch, 1 flip by hand, engine started. We repeted the process with 1 flip each time about 10 to 12 times, engine started every time. Merry Christmas to all. Frank C. Bowman AKA Ringmaster
Old 12-20-2011, 07:00 AM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Rear Intake reed problems

Thanks for the process, Frank.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:03 PM
TailSpin Walt

Default RE: Rear Intake reed problems

Yes! Thanks Ringmaster for posting this incident and solution. My new DLE sounds like it has a very similar, if hot identical, problem.
I had better check it out before I get a relapse of bursitus in my shoulder!