Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts about these servos for Gas planes?

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Any thoughts about these servos for Gas planes?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Any thoughts about these servos for Gas planes?

Mody, digital and analog servos mix fine. For your dual elevator servo thing, and likely ailerons as well, go to page 56 of your manual. If that leaves you scratching your head just holler. Be happy to help. One hint that works out well is to use channel 5 for the second aileron, 6 for the extra elevator.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Ed,

They were Futaba 3004 servo's, the servo that was lost was on the aileron. I purchased a used GP Extra Patty Wagstaff and was unsure about the servo's that were installed. The servo's were Hitec's but I do not remember the model, but they were rated around 70 ounces. The manual states minimum of 60 ounces so I was not feeling good about the plane only having this size in it. I contacted Hobbico and they assured me the plane would be fine with these servo's . I had purchased a CMP Extra for a good price so I figured it was time for a little experiment. The ailerons on the CMP are about 30% smaller then the ones on the GP. The S3004 Futaba servo's are rated at 57 ounces @ 6 volts. The plane had 4-40 control rods on all surfaces, the rudder had a Hitec 645 with a pull pull set up. I had about 6 flights on it with this set up and was doing a few loops and dives. On the final dive the plane was at about a 45 degree angle and it snapped onto it's back and started a tumble. I was able to nose it down and get it stable and try to pull it back level. About the same angle the plane snapped again, at this point , gods good earth was a little close to the plane than I would like. After hearing a few pops and a crack I dug around the swampy part of our field and found it safe and secure in a thorn bush. I took it home and every thing was fine ( electrically ) except one aileron servo was stripped in the neutral position. The GP Extra now has 5625's on the wings and elevators and a 5955 on the rudder.

I will say considering the plane bounced through a tree off several limbs before splitting in two after it hit the ground, it faired pretty well. It took about 15 minutes with a little CA to set it back together, but a couple hours to reinforce it.

I was not really impressed the construction of the plane finish wise, but it did take a good beating. It was really touchy with getting the CG right but after it was dialed in it flew pretty good.

I did have some Hextronic metal gear servo's that worked very well but they were notnbattery friendly.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. All good info to know and to tuck away in the memory.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just now ordered Hobbico's CS-126 four servos from Advantage hobby, price is $17.45 and free shipping

http://www.advantagehobby.com/68054/HCAHCAM0300/

For rudder I'm gonna use Hitec's HS-645MG which I already have it.

BTW for DLE20's ignition can I use Spektrum's 1500 MaH NIMH battery pack? and I've bought 3 NGK CM6 spark plugs already, as I'd been told to trash the plug that came in with DLE20

Thanks a lot guys for your input and help, I really appreciate it.

Mody
Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 PM
armody

ORIGINAL: aerialsports

If you are using the new hitec aurora 9 it has dual servo mix built into the programing and will actually ask if your using dual servos when you go through the setup. There for you will not need a servo reverser or anything..
Yes I'm using Hitec's Aurora 9 2.4 GHz TX
Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

My opinion is go with high grade servos or please don't come around our club! I have to admit I have had three hitec servos go bad, 2-645's and 1-5645, all on ailerons. They didn't cause a crash but started jittering to the point they had to be replaced. I have been won over by my experience with futaba servos, they are much quieter and soother compared to hitec and jr servos. The majority of servos in my nine gas planes are hitec so they have been good enough!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:58 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: armody

I have just now ordered Hobbico's CS-126 four servos from Advantage hobby, price is $17.45 and free shipping

http://www.advantagehobby.com/68054/HCAHCAM0300/

For rudder I'm gonna use Hitec's HS-645MG which I already have it.

BTW for DLE20's ignition can I use Spektrum's 1500 MaH NIMH battery pack? and I've bought 3 NGK CM6 spark plugs already, as I'd been told to trash the plug that came in with DLE20

Thanks a lot guys for your input and help, I really appreciate it.

Mody
Mody
You have been warned about the hitec karbonite gears. The CS 126 is just a rebadged hitec 5475HB and comes with karbonite gears.

Opps, please cancel your order, after all your research you still manage to get burned. I know this is not funny. The market place is not very foregiving.

One other high quality servo out there that I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the Futaba 3305. They run a couple dollars less then the 645's and out preform them I think. Remember different companies report and test their specs in different ways.

Any 4.8 V pack that can deliver up to .5 amps is fine. I stay away from NIMH, they are a government conspearacy (enviornmently friendly at the cost of preformance). Although they are higher density than the same weight NICDs, their charging problem and life span are not for me. I currently power a DLE 20's ignition with a single 3.7 V 2100mah Li-ion and a 5 V voltage booster circuit. All up weight of battery and circuit is 2oz, good for 3 hours of run time on full charge.

Good luck
everything works out in the end.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:37 AM
jmpups
My Feedback: (1)

If you want to keep your planes in the air, stick with Futaba, or Hitec. Enough Chinese Junk.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:57 AM
armody

Well guys,

2 guys including the moderator advised me to get Hobbico's CS-126 servos. I was told not to use Hitec's 485HB Karbonite servo, I do not know what Karbonite is, is it plastic or nylon?

I could not afford 5 Hitec's 645MG servo. I'm not gonna push this plane to the edge, I'd do sport or normal flying max, I'd go for a knife edge, it's my first experimental Gasser plane, would not wanna lose it but I'd been told to get Hobbico's CS-126 servos and I got them. Well, guys I appreciate your experiences and concerned but I think those servos are gonna work fine for me as I'd been advised to get those.

They are high quality Resin, now I gotta ask the question, Resin is plastic or what>?

Can anyone define me, Resin, Karbonite, Plastic, Nylon, I'd like further clarifications on it.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: jmpups

If you want to keep your planes in the air, stick with Futaba, or Hitec. Enough Chinese Junk.
Interestingly enough, I've had more Hitec servos fail than my "Chinese Junk" servos and I have about equal amounts of both.

Power HD servos have been proven to be a reliable, low cost servo time and again.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: jmpups

Interestingly enough, I've had more Hitec servos fail than my ''Chinese Junk'' servos and I have about equal amounts of both.

Power HD servos have been proven to be a reliable, low cost servo time and again.
That goes towards exactly what I said in an earlier post.......Hitec does have a failure rate that is higher according to my non-governmental, non-funded, non-scientific research. Of course like I said in the other post, there are a ton more Hitec servos out there in use too. Law of averages.

As far as the Power HD, I'll agree with you. They are low cost and in my personal experience are reliable. Rely on them failing. Out of 5, I had 1 fail on it's third flight. That's a 20% failure rate........[X(]
Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 PM
AJsToyz

I have had 4 Futaba servo's fail, that's not counting the one I abused. One was a s134 and the other 3 were s148's . All of them lost the ability to center, just kind roamed aimless through there cycle range.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM
armody

So that means, nothing can be foretold about those servos, no matter JR, Hitec, Futaba, Hobbico, Tower pro and so on. Not being biased but Chinese stuff were referred here as cheap, funny thing which everybody knows, that great American manufacturers are getting their stuff made in China. HTC hot cell phone is Taiwanese. Hitec Aurora 9 is Philippine made, then Malaysia and story goes on.

Everything works and everything fails, I at least ain't gonna use the $5 servos on my first Gasser.

Thanx guys for your input

Mody
Old 01-20-2012, 02:36 AM
AJsToyz

Ed,

Anytime I can share an experience I try to, I'm not always the best at doing it though.

Andy
Old 01-20-2012, 03:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can anyone define me, Resin, Karbonite, Plastic, Nylon, I'd like further clarifications on it.
1149 posts and you don't know the difference? You have clearly been around here a while, how could you not know that?
Old 01-20-2012, 04:01 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Well guys,

2 guys including the moderator advised me to get Hobbico's CS-126 servos. I was told not to use Hitec's 485HB Karbonite servo, I do not know what Karbonite is, is it plastic or nylon?

I could not afford 5 Hitec's 645MG servo. I'm not gonna push this plane to the edge, I'd do sport or normal flying max, I'd go for a knife edge, it's my first experimental Gasser plane, would not wanna lose it but I'd been told to get Hobbico's CS-126 servos and I got them. Well, guys I appreciate your experiences and concerned but I think those servos are gonna work fine for me as I'd been advised to get those.

They are high quality Resin, now I gotta ask the question, Resin is plastic or what>?

Whoever told you to get the CS-126 servos, basically told you to get Hitec Karbonite gear servos. Bad mistake. Go to Tower's page for this servo and click on the replacement gear set. The page will be replacement Hitec Karbonite gears.
I'm going to say what needs to be said here so don't shoot the messenger (if TOM was here, he would have told you already), you obviously can't afford to step up to this level of plane right now. I would wait however long it takes to get the money to buy decent, safe servos. I have to do the same thing. I can't do it all at once sometimes.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:18 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: 3136

1149 posts and you don't know the difference? You have clearly been around here a while, how could you not know that?
Are you T.O.M.'s brother?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 AM
armody

Dude,

I know the materials, I heard about them but never researched or read about it. No offense intended. Did we know that while world enjoys summer in May June, Ausssies enjoy winter? Nope we learned, I always used standard servos, knew about ball bearings, never had any servo failed until now, when I bought the hangar 9's P51 Mustang MK II which has hangar 9's standard servos not JR servos on it anymore, stopped working, but again I've been flying glows 40 to 60 size's plane, about high torque servos, I never knew that, that's why I bought the cheap servos from hobby partz as they would still work for 40 size planes or even 60. I had brand new GP's Revolver 40 which I paid $186 incl. tax and sold out for $160 in exchange for DLE20 and paid the difference. I bought Yak 54 120 from Nitro planes heard allota crap about them but I paid $156 including shpping. I'm totally new to gas and a Novice, Noob, Rookie etc. I'm here to learn and understand.

A lot of mixed, different opinions about servos here, it looks like ordering Hobbico's CS-126 turned out to be a mistake again.

My postings here are not intended to offend anyone so please do not take one.

Thanks

Mody
Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Goes to show, "time" does not neccessarily correlate to "knowledge".

Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 AM
armody

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Well guys,

Whoever told you to get the CS-126 servos, basically told you to get Hitec Karbonite gear servos. Bad mistake. Go to Tower's page for this servo and click on the replacement gear set. The page will be replacement Hitec Karbonite gears.
I'm going to say what needs to be said here so don't shoot the messenger (if TOM was here, he would have told you already), you obviously can't afford to step up to this level of plane right now. I would wait however long it takes to get the money to buy decent, safe servos. I have to do the same thing. I can't do it all at once sometimes.

Which and what servos do you recommend then?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Well guys,

Which and what servos do you recommend then?

armody, you have received a lot of input from many people, and you have discovered there are conflicting opinions or recommendations. I believe none of the responders is lying to you or trying to mislead you, and are giving you good information as they see it. Ultimately, no matter how many recommendations you get, you are the one who must make a choice as to what to select. To do that, you will need to have some level of knowledge as to how things work and make your own cost/benefit assessment.The thread is a fun thing to do, but it's not a substitute for some hands on research on your part to aquire the neccessary comprehension to make good choices.

Enjoy!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 AM
armody

RCVFR,

Thanks for your response. A while back I started a thread in beginners, How long a model can last and I've started a lots of interesting threads in beginners and those were all full of information which I got from a lot of well-experienced people. Models do crash, and we can save them by taking preemptive steps. Experimentation teaches a lot. I've never experienced a broken servo arm but everything is possible, and I'm gonna use my best discretion.

Concorde failed, Shuttle failed, things do fail and nothing can be guaranteed. I learned a lot from that thread, and if a guy had an accident on highway 288 it does not mean I'd have the accident too. Brand loyalty is there too, I was a JR guy, now I'm a Hitec guy since I got me Aurora 9, I may be some other guy. We learn, we attain and we retain. I'm gonna stick to my decision and go on with that, since my project is gonna take up some time, and it would hopefully be in the air in the end of March, due to my job, college and a day in a week at my Mentor's workshop, where he has all the necessary tools to build a plane from scratch.

Thank y'all, in any way if I may have been disrespectful to anyone so I apologize. I really appreciate your inputs.

Happy flying

Mody
Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Mody, I recommend some of the ones the other guys were talking about- 3305,645 etc. They just were not in your budget at this time. I know the feeling. I have a 33% Yak sitting here that needs servos. Hoping to have it up and flying by May.
I have a plane that I bought a while back that had the 635HB all the way around. Knowing what I've read about the Karbonites and what the Hitec moderators say, I pulled them before the first flight. Plane is powered by a Zenoah G23. I would even use nylon geared servos over the brittle Karbonites. I have nylon geared 94322's on the ailerons and rudder on my 1/4 DR1. Plane has close to 35 flights and the servos are still tight. G38 for power. Granted this plane flies slow and is not an aerobatic hotrod so it isn't too hard on servos. I did a search in Hitec's support forum for you on the Karbonite gears. Here are some threads that would be good for you to go through.-[link]http://search.rcuniverse.com/search.do?indexName=testforumdb&templateName=&sortBy=datecreated&q=karbonite+forumid%3A53+&i=karbonite&searchwhere=forum&start=0[/link]
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
armody

mr.bigg

My sincere apologies to respond very late here on this thread. As a matter of fact, I came across some of the issues with my nitroplane's yak as I'm almost in a phase of completion. Certain I would like to add up here, since that's my first Gasser project, I wouldn't have been able to put it together on my own since I got a good mentor, and he has told me that next ARF you'd be on your own, if you ever get stuck somewhere or got a problem, then lemme know.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/ni20moya1206.html This is the yak I'm working on.

Over all plane is OK, but you would need to make another servo plate if not, then you gotta have to make a plate where you may install your battery pack as well as receiver. Pull-pull works for the rudder. Elevator you do not have a provision to use 2 servos, unless, you make another servo plate in order to install to servos, and connect them through push rods to the elevator halves. In order to install aileron servos, you need to scrape off the wood so that servo's can fit and snug well. Construction wise this plane is not bad, but it does need a lots of modifications. Elevator I ended up using one servo, sorry if I mentioned it earlier. For rudder I'm using Hitec 645MG and rest of the surfaces I'm using Hobbico CS-126. For engine which is DLE20, I'm using stock beam mount. Over all plane is not bad but I did not know that it was gonna cost me an arm and a leg. I still need to buy 3 servo extensions, and tail wheel assembly cos the stock wheel is really good quality but the bracket is long enough and it won't fit due to a hollow tail par in the fuselage which is covered with coat, so there should have been wood but unfortunately I gotta buy me this tail wheel assembly for it.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRWW9&P=7

These are servo extension http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVJ42&P=FR

I'd post some pix of it and when are you gonna work on your 33% Yak?

Mody