Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Idle problem

Old 01-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Falcon32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle problem

Hi Guys
I’ve been having a lot of problems tuning my RCGF45 it’s just never run the way it should. I’ve now replaced the Chinese carb for a genuine Walbro and it’s running much better. I’m getting 7500/7600 on a Menz 20X8 a significant improvement from before. However, I still have one annoying little problem with the idle. After a W.O.T. run when I return the stick to idle it settles at about 2600 for about 10 seconds before it will return to the normal idle of 1800. I am quite new to gas so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Falcon
Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Idle problem

The words below are a cut and paste from here http://tech.flygsw.org/walbro_tuneup.htm

"Set the lowend & highend needles to about 1 3/4 to 2 turns each. Choke the carb or prime it, until the carb is wet. Fire up the engine and let it warm up. Let's set the topend first since it's the easier of the two. Go to full throttle. Adjust the topend needle for peak RPM. Leave it wide open for about a minute to see if it changes any. Should the engine go lean, open the lowend needle slightly, if this dosen't work... you will have to adjust the needle valve inside the carb.( I will explain this later) If the topend runs OK, then slowly pull the throttle down until the engine begins to "four cycle" hold the throttle there. Adjust the lowend needle until the "four cycling" barely stops. Now lower the throttle more until it "four cycles" again, and adjust the lowend again. Keep doing this until you reach full idle. Now, from full idle begin to throttle up until the engine starts to bog or hesitate. Open up the lowend needle just enough to eliminate the bog or hesitation.

When this is done right, you will be able to set the throttle in any position and it won't four cycle, plus you will be able to transition from idle to full power without any hesitation at all. Now, for easy starting it's best to have the lowend a little rich and it will four-stroke a little."

Old 01-16-2012, 03:33 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

You are probably a tad lean on the low needle. Richen it up about the width of a screwdriver blade and check again.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

Sounds like you are lean on the low end needle, as K-Bob said you should richen the low end a tad and bit.

DaleD
Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Falcon32

Hi Guys
Thanks for your help, I'll richen the low end just a little and see if that helps.

Falcon
Old 01-17-2012, 01:10 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

You are probably a tad lean on the low needle. Richen it up about the width of a screwdriver blade and check again.
+1
Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 AM
clivemc

+2

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

+1