Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:30 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gasoline Clunk tube?

ORIGINAL: RJConnet

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

I believe they are callimg it neoprene but neoprene is that black hose mainly used for windshield washer fluid. I think this black tubing sold by Du-Bro is actually called "Buna" which is gas compatible, in which Neoprene is not
ORIGINAL: Clay Walters

This seems to work fine too.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXD735&P=8

That's neoprene...very, very bad!!!!
If it hasn't (yet) deteriorated, it most certainly will!
Do NOT use neoprene with your gas!!!

Tygon, Oregon, or Viton are the accepted brands to use with gas!
a1pcfixer, Have you personally experienced this or are you just repeating the conventional wisdom on this matter. Several years ago on the first really cold day of the winter the clunk in my plane stopped clunking, it was stiff as a board (tygon). I had some of the Dubro neoprene in my drawer so I cut off several inches and placed it in a jar of my fuel. After five weeks it was still like new so I replaced the clunks in both of my 50 cc planes. It is now 2+ years later and I have not seen any sign of deterioration, no problems of any kind. Maybe the ethanol in Oregon is not as potent as the stuff in you area..........RJ
Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All he wanted was a simple answer Like someone said neoprene has been fuel line in cars for years, however the alcohol seems to have some adverse effect on some types of neoprene. The Tygon type line seems to be what most small engine vendors are going with and works well, but it does get stiff after a while if it is not submerged in gasoline continuesly. I just purchased 100' of 1/8" Tygothane for $27 from a supplier on ebay. That should last me for a while I'm splitting it with a buddy of mine. I have found that the bronze sintered filters work fine and are easier to get in the tank if your using a smaller tank, for smaller gas engines like the DLE 20. http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Ft-TYGON...item1e689231cb
Old 01-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

The line that comes with the Fortitude tank is great. It will not slip off. You have to cut it off once it is installed.

I love their tanks. It's all I use now.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/Fuel-Tanks_c_755.html
Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hill202

The line that comes with the Fortitude tank is great. It will not slip off. You have to cut it off once it is installed.

i beg to differ, my brother crashed because of a piece of chit Fortitude tank.... look at the clunk.... not good for hovering
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54286.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1717607  
Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

VITON ,...................... Period , and it lasts for years

Michel
Old 01-23-2012, 03:02 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Can't say that I would blame that crash on the tank's clunk, as that sort of flying requires special needs, and having a proper length clunk would in my opinion be one of those needs, plus in a transparent tank the obviously short original clunk line was there for all to see.

Karol
Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: karolh

Can't say that I would blame that crash on the tank's clunk, as that sort of flying requires special needs, and having a proper length clunk would in my opinion be one of those needs, plus in a transparent tank the obviously short original clunk line was there for all to see.

Karol
true good point there... he called the shop he ordered it from and they assured him that it was normal...

i read on F G about those tanks,, apparently several people have complained about that issue, and also the cap being glued on.... the bottle is made of such thin plastic hardly any force can be applied with out ruining it
Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
airega1

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

Karol
true good point there... he called the shop he ordered it from and they assured him that it was normal...

i read on F G about those tanks,, apparently several people have complained about that issue, and also the cap being glued on.... the bottle is made of such thin plastic hardly any force can be applied with out ruining it
The shop told him it was normal? and he believed it? Why wasn't he thinking along the lines of possible low fuel and a hover, it's not rocket surgery or maybe it is. I say stick to what you know works, not some guy telling you a short lined clunk is normal. I'm not flaming here but your clunk needs to be just kissing the bottom of the tank when vertical, this doesn't even need explaining. It's like if you bought a 35% ARF and it came with a cardbord wing tube, the manufacturer tells you it fine, do you believe him?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

i beg to differ, my brother crashed because of a piece of chit Fortitude tank.... look at the clunk.... not good for hovering
Agreed!

My issues with their tank was solely with their shortest 8 ounce units, which I wanted to try with one of my 2 DLE20's
Here's my review I posted on their tanks;

"Std size Tygon in longer tanks is fine, but in this short 8 oz tank, such does NOT allow such a light clunk to properly settle to bottom. A Poulan clunk/filter part # 530095646 has the weight to do the job correctly. These tanks don't need so much sealant just to keep the cap on (no leaks). A smaller amount is sufficient. I nearly collapsed the tank trying to remove the cap. Also, zip ties on the clunk line is needed as gas will cause Tygon to swell and drop off. This is a new product line for you, and as such there's bound to be growing pains. Hopefully the above issues will be corrected for an improved product line." {none of which has as yet been corrected}

On such short tanks, std Tygon is too rigid to use with a light clunk.
Oregon [part #07-266] .094" I.D. x .203" O.D. [wall thickness=.050"] is a far better fuel line for short tanks.

Oregon part #07-266 is what we need inside the fuel tank, connected to the clunk.
This one is far more flexable than std Tygon, and combined with the heavier clunk in the included photo, will do a superb job!

About the 3 fuel line photo;

A=Oregon [part #07-257] 1/8" I.D. x 3/16" O.D. [wall thickness=.035"]

B=Oregon [part #07-266] .094" I.D. x .203" O.D. [wall thickness=.050"]

C=std Tygon 1/8" I.D. x 1/4" O.D. [wall thickness=.060]

Do NOT use "A" in our models, as it's waaay too thin, and designed for chainsaws, weedeaters, and such.
"A" is the thin wall style best used with the tiny Fortitude felt clunk.

Again, my comments were directed solely at their short 8 ounce tanks. Their longer tanks may be fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52074.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1717669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67230.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1717670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45700.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1717671  
Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Hill202

Yeah, but the line did not slip off [8D]
Old 01-23-2012, 04:55 PM
michajon

Try this, its clear, stays flexible and its only about twenty eight cents a foot. I'm switching over to it, a friend of mine runs it with no problems. Here's the scoop from the manufacture,

Tygothane® Formulation C-210-A
Our rigidly controlled manufacturing process makes Tygothane® Precision Polyurethane Tubing the flexible polyurethane tubing that has consistently tight tolerances from lot to lot. Precision tolerances and high elasticity provide the user with an easy, worry-free attachment to fittings. Made of a tough, ester-based polyurethane, Tygothane Precision Polyurethane Tubing's clarity, high tear strength and excellent abrasion resistance make it ideal for many applications, including fuel and lubricant lines, pneumatic lines, abrasive product transfer and cable jacketing. It also offers exceptional resistance to oils, greases, fuels and many chemicals.

Able to withstand rugged daily use, Tygothane® Precision Polyurethane Tubing resists weathering and can be safely used in temperatures ranging from -100°F (-73°C) to 200°F (93°C). It meets FDA criteria for food and beverage use and is also available in ether-based, medical grade and reinforced formulations.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:47 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations you did your home work. This is the best tubing available for our model applications.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:50 PM
airega1

ORIGINAL: michajon

Try this, its clear, stays flexible and its only about twenty eight cents a foot. I'm switching over to it, a friend of mine runs it with no problems. Here's the scoop from the manufacture,

Tygothane® Formulation C-210-A
Our rigidly controlled manufacturing process makes Tygothane® Precision Polyurethane Tubing the flexible polyurethane tubing that has consistently tight tolerances from lot to lot. Precision tolerances and high elasticity provide the user with an easy, worry-free attachment to fittings. Made of a tough, ester-based polyurethane, Tygothane Precision Polyurethane Tubing's clarity, high tear strength and excellent abrasion resistance make it ideal for many applications, including fuel and lubricant lines, pneumatic lines, abrasive product transfer and cable jacketing. It also offers exceptional resistance to oils, greases, fuels and many chemicals.

Able to withstand rugged daily use, Tygothane® Precision Polyurethane Tubing resists weathering and can be safely used in temperatures ranging from -100°F (-73°C) to 200°F (93°C). It meets FDA criteria for food and beverage use and is also available in ether-based, medical grade and reinforced formulations.

I orderd Tygothane from US Plastics about 2 years ago and the stuff is bulletproof! nothing affects it, the only problem I see is, it isn't flexible enough to be used inside a tank, Regardless of the fitting you put it on? prepare to have to cut it off, it holds like nothing else I've seen.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:06 PM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

I have found that keeping the tank partially filled with gas helps to keep the in tank Tygon plumbing lines flexible for a much longer time than when the tank is kept empty when not in use.

Karol
Wow this is what I wanted to say. Yes this works well, I leave the tank with what ever gas was left
from the last flight and the line stays like new.

Tim

Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
WesleyK
My Feedback: (31)

MTK does the cheaper line still harden with age like the yellow tygon?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:31 PM
wjcalhoun

skillet
mcmaster and grainger both have tygon
25' spool is about $150, with about $20 in shipping = $7/ft. You can plumb a gasser with 1.5 ft = $10

I have viton clunk to carb in my gassers, but the vent lines, fill lines, etc are tygon
Old 01-25-2012, 12:21 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Ive use the Hayes tubing for 5 years now and haven't had any issues with it

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXK824