Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Which oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Which oil do you use?

Recently I bought a used Saito FG 36 for a project I'm working on. I tore down the engine tonight to inspect it and found a lot of soot and corrosion inside. I didn't ask the previous owner which oil he used but now I will. I'm sure he didn't really know because he was running the engine until he sold it.
The bearings are shot for sure and the other parts, crank and cam etc., need to be cleaned up. I see a lot of residue on all of the exhaust side components too. Looks like varnish and then soot here and there. From the plug I see the engine was running very rich.

So what oil are you guys using and in what ratio and what kind of results are you seeing with your Saito four stroke gas engine?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-24-2012, 10:05 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Which oil do you use?

It would be very unusual to see any corrosion inside a gas engine?

Maybe it was run on glow fuel for a spell?

I run Pennzoil air cooled two stroke in mine at 20:1

The residual oil coming out the crankcase looks like diesel truck motor oil as it is as black as can be.

There is only black soot around the exhaust valve stem and in the muffler.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30cc on down 28:1 stih ultra hp.... 50cc on up stihl ultra 40:1
Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 AM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS there a difference between stihl Ultra hp and Stihl Ultra (no hp in name)?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 AM
AJsToyz

STIHL High Performance 2-Cycle Engine Oil
This STIHL High Performance oil is a quality 2-cycle engine oil developed for all STIHL products and especially suitable for professional chain saws.

STIHL HP Super 2-Cycle Engine Oil
HP Super is a partial synthetic blend 2-cycle engine oil designed for high performance power tools and chain saws with excellent “low smoke†characteristics plus superior lubricity in comparison to other low smoke oils. STIHL HP Super is certified ISO-L-EGD and JASO-FD and exceeds API TC certification.

STIHL HP Ultra 2-Cycle Engine Oil
HP Ultra is a fully synthetic 2-cycle engine oil specially suited for high performance chain saws and power tools. This oil has outstanding engine cleaning characteristics, plus “ultra†superior lubricating qualities in comparison to other 2-cycle engine oils. It is ideal for use in STIHL 4-MIX® engines. This oil is biodegradable, degrading by 80% in 21 days.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Saito four stroke gassers get 20:1 Redline Two Stroke Racing synthetic. The oil from the breather tube is slightly dark but not nearly as black as what Jim (w8ye) describes in his post above. If I can't get Redline then Stihl HP Ultra or Castrol Power RS TTS. All three are absolutely excellent synthetic oils.

P.S. The Stihl HP Ultra is made for them by Castrol.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

STIHL HP Ultra 2-Cycle Engine Oil ...
This oil is biodegradable, degrading by 80% in 21 days.
It says "biodegradable" right on the bottle. What the hell do they mean by that? Does it rot? What does it degrade to, water? How long can you keep it before you are required to buy fresh oil?
I still have some Mobil 1 Racing 2T synthetic (no longer available) that I saved for use in an MVVS 26cc but I read somewhere in these forums that it has a shelf life. Does it become something other than synthetic oil after awhile?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:33 PM
AJsToyz

The other 20% will still be there!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

STIHL HP Ultra 2-Cycle Engine Oil ...
This oil is biodegradable, degrading by 80% in 21 days.
It says ''biodegradable'' right on the bottle. What the hell do they mean by that? Does it rot? What does it degrade to, water?...................
For those 'search challenged' here ya go......
http://search.rcuniverse.com/search....=biodegradable
Old 01-26-2012, 02:18 AM
AJsToyz

The other 20% will still be there!
Hoping no one really took that seriously?! (meant as humor, sarcasm ,slap stick, Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!)
Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 AM
Rocketman_

Hoping no one really took that seriously?! (meant as humor, sarcasm ,slap stick, Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!)
I thought the "20%" was funny but some folks may have needed clarification. I was sure that my weak attempt at humour in post #7 would not evoke a great deal of hilarity but I thought it might keep the thread atmosphere light. Sometimes the air in oil threads gets kind of caustic.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 AM
CustomPC

It says ''biodegradable'' right on the bottle. What the hell do they mean by that? Does it rot? What does it degrade to, water? How long can you keep it before you are required to buy fresh oil?
The Stihl Ultra HP is biodegradable because it's rebadged Castrol Bio Lube Outboard Marine oil.

It's a good oil.

I read somewhere it will break down in 21 days after it has been through the engine. I don't know how long it can be stored unused or mixed with gasoline.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: jedijody

It does not degrade until you pour it out on the ground or otherwise expose it to the elements ie; sun, water, earth. It keeps just fine all winter long in my weed whacker/chainsaw fuel jug.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:18 AM
AJsToyz

I thought the ''20%'' was funny but some folks may have needed clarification. I was sure that my weak attempt at humour in post #7 would not evoke a great deal of hilarity but I thought it might keep the thread atmosphere light. Sometimes the air in oil threads gets kind of caustic.

I read that with my wife last night and we were both laughing, thats where the 20% came from! Keep it going! Good stuff there !!

Andy
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 AM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

I've used Amsoil @ 50:1 for the past several years with perfect results.

Rick
Old 02-02-2012, 09:40 PM
clivemc

how sure are you its rebadged outboard oil? outboard oil is for water cooled engines ????
ORIGINAL: CustomPC

It says ''biodegradable'' right on the bottle. What the hell do they mean by that? Does it rot? What does it degrade to, water? How long can you keep it before you are required to buy fresh oil?
The Stihl Ultra HP is biodegradable because it's rebadged Castrol Bio Lube Outboard Marine oil.

It's a good oil.

I read somewhere it will break down in 21 days after it has been through the engine. I don't know how long it can be stored unused or mixed with gasoline.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 PM
CustomPC

ORIGINAL: clivemc

how sure are you its rebadged outboard oil? outboard oil is for water cooled engines ????
Somewhere in the Stihl HP Ultra thread i posted 4 MSDS and data sheets for both oils and they are exactly the same.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 PM
tapkoote

Amziol "saber" oil only
Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: clivemc

ORIGINAL: CustomPC

It's a good oil.

Most modern 2 stroke oils are dual purpose; for both water and air cooled engines

Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 AM
HunkaJunk

I personally use Amsoil, Interceptor, Dominator and Saber. I've been using Amsoil 2 stroke oils for a couple decades now, in numerous applications.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Farm & Fleet T full synthetic.  Their oil is pretty good, been using it for years in my yard tools.  Other than the Ethanol eating up a fuel line because I was too lazy to drain the tank, I haven't had any problems.