Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G20EI help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 AM
sirzepp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G20EI help

This engine ran BEAUTIFULLY in a Hangar 9 T-craft. Unfortunately, I wrecked that plane REALGOOD(lol). Nose-in, full throttle, total re-kit.

The motor was sent to Ralph C for assessment and possible repair. He gave it a clean bill of health after fixing the bent crank and I've had it on the shelf ever since.

Last week I assembled a Seagull Cap 232 (65" ws version) and installed the G20. The problems started right away. The engine is exhibiting the following issues:

1. Once warm (head temps around 170 (I have a telemetry module) it will not hold a real idle. I can get it to "sort of" run around 2200 RPM or higher, but it still dies in the air (2 dead sticks on maiden day...once resulted in damage to the airframe).

2. Once warm it "hangs" on transition from WOTback to idle.

3. If Itweak the needles to 100 RPMrich of peak at WOT on the High End and lean enough for a good transition on the low end, the engine heats up quickly and exhibits lean running symptoms. If I then richen things up, it surges on the low end (will not hold a steady RPM), WOTis obviously fine, but slightly lower RPM. Even rich, temps seem a bit high (260 after sustained WOT). I have an intake scoop cut in the cowl with baffles that butt against the cylinder fins. I haven't flow it since I added telemetry, soI don't know what in-flight temps are.

I was thinking all of this pointed to an air leak, so I've sealed the isolator and carb with Wurth DP 300(it's a non-silicon based, easy to clean up, high temp sealant). I was careful to keep all air passages clear. Ihave disassembled the carb, cleaned the screen and checked the diaphragm. The needle valve seems to operate freely, but it's heard to tell if there are contaminants.

I'm stumped. Like I said, Ralph gave it a clean bill. This engine is still basically brand new, you can still see machining marks on the piston. It's got about 1.5 gallons through it, but it DIDseem to be running really well on the T-craft (nice, low idle, smooth transition, etc.). I know the crash damaged it somehow, and maybe it's time to call it a total loss...but I don't want to give up yet.

FWIW, the ignition is stock Zenoah on a 2200mah 1s lipo.

Any pointers would be helpful.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: G20EI help

If Ralph gave it a clean bill of health then it should be good to go, so here are a few questions. Firstly, how long has the engine been sitting idle, and secondly, did you send the engine and complete ignition to Ralph?

Karol
Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Sorry to hear of your mishap . I have been running a G20 on a Seagull YAK 54, and when I lost a wheel in flight, my one wheel landing was not a thing of beauty, tearing out the landing gear. After repair, I found the ignition had been somehow damaged and could not get the engine to start and run. It would pop, but not run. Replacing with an Rcexl solved the problem. From your description, it sounds as though your ignition seems to be working, but something is amiss with the carb. Possibly the metering messed up or other internal problem.

Me, I would try another carb to see if that is the fix. Good luck to you.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:25 PM
sirzepp

ORIGINAL: karolh

If Ralph gave it a clean bill of health then it should be good to go, so here are a few questions. Firstly, how long has the engine been sitting idle, and secondly, did you send the engine and complete ignition to Ralph?

Karol
I sent everything.

I am thinking it is a carb problem.

Also...it sat for about a month.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:28 PM
sirzepp

ORIGINAL: RCVFR

Sorry to hear of your mishap . I have been running a G20 on a Seagull YAK 54, and when I lost a wheel in flight, my one wheel landing was not a thing of beauty, tearing out the landing gear. After repair, I found the ignition had been somehow damaged and could not get the engine to start and run. It would pop, but not run. Replacing with an Rcexl solved the problem. From your description, it sounds as though your ignition seems to be working, but something is amiss with the carb. Possibly the metering messed up or other internal problem.

Me, I would try another carb to see if that is the fix. Good luck to you.
Ignition does seem fine. When it's cold, it briefly runs normally, then it starts these antics. Makes me think there is something happening with the isolator...My isolator was cracked and Ralph gave me a new one. I'm wondering if there is something not sealing after it gets hot...can't be the isolator itself...perhaps a new gasket is in order. I've ordered an aluminum isolator (can't remember who sells it)...maybe that'll be the ticket. We will see. It definitely acts like an air leak.

There are NObubbles in the fuel line while running...

Someone here in Utah is selling WT540 and WT345 carbs for 11 bucks a piece. I'm picking up one of each...but I doubt either one will work on my Zenoah (was just going to have them around for parts or to play with and learn a bit). I don't know enough about carb specs...does anyone know if either of those will work?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:48 PM
karolh

My G20 gave me a really warm time solving a problem recently which initially seemed to be a carb related one, but which turned out to be a partially clogged felt filtered tank clunk on the carb's feed line causing very erratic running.

Karol
Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM
sirzepp

My G20 gave me a really warm time solving a problem recently which initially seemed to be a carb related one, but which turned out to be a partially clogged felt filtered tank clunk on the carb's feed line causing very erratic running.

Karol
Thanks! I'll check the tank...it's new...so there is a possibility I missed something before installing it and there is a particle clogging the clunk.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 AM
sirzepp

I am on the road right now, but once I get home I will do the following:

1.  reset spark gap to .024 on recommendations that might improve running in the mid-range/idle
2.  Check fuel tank.
3.  After some research, I've found that Ralph C recommends Hayes neoprene fuel line.  I'll be at least switching the clunk line over to that, as I'm using a 10oz tank to save weight and the tygon didn't seem flexible enough to me at that short length (maybe it's sucking air?)
4.  I've also ordered a few different carbs folks had laying around...so if the above doesn't fix the problem I'll experiment with switching carbs.  I'm confident I won't burn up the motor as I'll monitor CHT closely.
5.  If none of the cheap carbs I'm getting work, I'll have the zenoah carb professionally rebuilt.  I don't trust myself to rebuild it, as I've tried it before on a different engine and screwed something up.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Send it back, I'll send you a whole new G20..With EXL ignition..No charge....[8D]
Old 02-13-2012, 01:30 PM
sirzepp

ORIGINAL: Antique

Send it back, I'll send you a whole new G20..With EXL ignition..No charge....[8D]
Holy S&^T that is NOTnecessary...but I will take you up on the offer!

Just so you know, at no point did Ifeel this was your fault...at NOpoint...I figure there is a problem with the carb and that + my being a dumb ***** is making it difficult to find the problem.

I'll pull the motor and ship it out Tuesday. Again, Ralph, I hope you don't feel I'm trying to squeeze you for help here...you were nothing but fair on the repair.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 PM
karolh

That's just how he is and that's why we his customers think so very highly of not only his engine expertise, but also his customer service ..... it's second to none.

Karol
Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 AM
sirzepp

Well, Ralph has certainly made another evangelist for his services/knowledge/products.  Simply amazing.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
karolh

Remember tp keep us updated on the outcome of this, which no doubt will be to a satisfactory end.

Karol
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 AM
sirzepp

I got the engine in from Ralph, and have decided to put it in a brand new Hangar 9 1/4 scale cub.  As such, I won't be using a tuned pipe, but I WILL be reporting back on how she performs!

I just want to say "thanks" again to Ralph for sending me another motor, it is simply unheard of today to get that kind of service.  The ignition looks great (plug and play!) and if I had a test stand it would already be running...but I'm going to wait until it's in the plane.  The kit should be here next week, and I have everything else I need to put it in the air...so MAYBE by Friday I'll have an update.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 AM
karolh

No surprise here regarding Ralph's actions. Did he mention what was the problem with the engine you sent him?

Karol
Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Didn't run it yet...
No matter, it will be made into a G20 UL project, ultra light..cut off any extra casting, lightweight hub, cylinder fins turned, 3/8 carb rotator...
Old 03-25-2012, 06:08 PM
sirzepp

Got the cub almost done.  I'm out on work for 4 days, but once I get home it shouldn't be more than a couple of hours of finish up.

The 1/4 scale Hangar 9 cub is just beautiful, by the way.  And with a J'tec pitts muffler, I only had to carve out the hole for the carb, a reasonably sized intake for cooling, and a large outlet underneath...for all the cutting the cowling actually looks really, really nice.

I can't wait to fly this plane.  I'll report back on the engine performance as soon as I can.

Thanks again, Ralph.  I'm curious about the ultra light G20...running out of space in my airplane room...but still curious.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
sirzepp

10 flights in on my G20 with Ralph's ignition. It's awesome. This is more than enough engine for a Hangar 9 1/4 scale cub...scale-wise it has the power of a supercub...so still over powered, but not ridiculously so. I have spent a couple of hours in the pattern, doing wheel landings and seeing how long I can hold the tail off. Even brand new, the G20 didn't miss a beat. It DOESseem smoother and more responsive with Ralph's ignition system, and it certainly uses less power. I am running dual 1700mah Life packs w/Tech Aero IBEC (ignition is running off rx packs) and I flew it 5 times yesterday, about 10 minutes a flight, and each pack had 300 mah burned off when Icharged (so a total aircraft-wide consumption of ~600 mah for 50 minutes of total flight time).

I'm stoked...Zenoahs are SMOOTH compared to my DLEs. I like the power to weight of the DLE stuff, but with Ralph talking about "ultra light" G20s...I'm thinking Imay do that for my next small gas plane.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM
karolh

I've got one of Ralph's "ultra light" G20's and it's a keeper for sure.

Karol
Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one of Ralph's ''ultra light'' G20's and it's a keeper for sure.

Karol
+1 to that!

I have a couple of Ralph's G62 Lite engines and the workmanship on them is second to none.
Cost wise, they beat ANY Chinese ABC engine hands down
Value wise, there is simply no comparison