ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: TimBle

If it has more torque, it has more horsepower
Only if they get that torque at or near the same speed. Torque is a force, if it is used to turn a crank that does not move then there is no power. When the crank moves then work is being done. Power is the rate that work is being done. Your analogy is somewhat true, torque is the force pushing the car, but to push it faster means more speed thus more power is created as a result.

Intresting fact. AA fuel dragster enginesare too powerful and too unpredictable to test run on a dyno. Thier power is measured from the data of an actual run by measuring the speed and acceleration of the run.

My analogy is completely true.

What are you talking about? You gave no analogy.

I know I didn't. I just left the quotes out. You used the word.
What is stated is a mathematical principal and a fact.
You never mentioned any mathematics either unless it was some very early message and I was not responding to you. I used the fast reply by error, I thought i was responding to 1QwkSport2.5r . His analogy was that torque gets you moving and horsepower keeps you moving. Not quite true but certainly truer than the statement that more torque means more horsepower. The latter is only true if the engine is turning at the same speed or at a speed not significantly slower. a 10% increase in RPM increase horsepower 10% which is the same amount a 10% increase of torque increases horsepower.

You love to argue don;t you.

P= 2 x pi x N x T

P, N and T are proportional to each other, When one rises, so do the others. When one falls, so do the others. This relationship is true across the whole rev range. The degree of proportionality can vary due to efficiency at different rpm but the guiding matehmaticl principal and the physics of it is pretty clear.
It is a very true and real statement.

The statement was if torque goes up then power goes up. That is only true if the RPM does not go down. The simple statement ignores the fact that you cannot get more torque from an engine without changing the timing, and that often means you have to time for a lower speed. I know the mathmatics and the equasion proves that the power goes up or down on the same porportion for speed and torque.

The effect is that increasing torque requires decreasing speed, and increasing speed decreces torque. This is not based on the equasion, but on the breathing ability of the engine. Higher speed means it cannot breath as well so you get less air and fuel in the cylinder so less pressure on the crank which means less torque, lower speed does the opposite so there is more torque and less speed.

However a glow engine has a more powerfull fuel. So everything being equal (which theyare not between these engines) the same size glow engine should have more power than the same size gas engines. Most glow engines are simply designed for RPM so simply converting them to gas means they will slow down and are no longer running at their optimal timing.Gas engines have the opposite problem, the fuel has more power when converted so a bigger prop must be used to run atits optimal speed, sometimes so much so the fuel wants to detonate.

The effect is that increasing torque requires decreasing speed, and increasing speed decreces torque.

This is why I do not like to see the simple statements that hide other factors.

Sport Pilot said: "The statement was if torque goes up then power goes up. That is only true if the RPM does not go down. The simple statement ignores the fact that you cannot get more torque from an engine without changing the timing, and that often means you have to time for a lower speed. I know the mathmatics and the equasion proves that the power goes up or down on the same porportion for speed and torque."

You contradict yourself. If RPm goes down, power goes down as does torque. Then you though in timing concerns to make yourself sound intelligent. We are talking about an engine. no changes needed. I'm at least glad you finally admit the science is sound.

Sport Pilot said: " The effect is that increasing torque requires decreasing speed, and increasing speed decreces torque. This is not based on the equasion, but on the breathing ability of the engine. Higher speed means it cannot breath as well so you get less air and fuel in the cylinder so less pressure on the crank which means less torque, lower speed does the opposite so there is more torque and less speed.

Ok so in the next paragraph you through the equation out of the window and we're back to alchemy. Power increase results in a torque increase, we agred that previously. Don;t bring mean effective pressure into it because to change that you need to either force more air in via a poump or you need to lengthen the stroke to increase the breathing capacity (more displacement))

Sport Pilot Said:" However a glow engine has a more powerfull fuel. So everything being equal (which theyare not between these engines) the same size glow engine should have more power than the same size gas engines. Most glow engines are simply designed for RPM so simply converting them to gas means they will slow down and are no longer running at their optimal timing.Gas engines have the opposite problem, the fuel has more power when converted so a bigger prop must be used to run atits optimal speed, sometimes so much so the fuel wants to detonate.

I mean really now, are you arguing with yourself? So which is it? does glow fuel have more power or does gasoline? and what does "detonate" mean? Do you refer to knock? why does the fuel want to detonate prematurely if too small a prop is used. Over reving has little to do with know unless there excess heat resulting which probably means theres a bigger problem.

But I'm glad you are at least starting to see that Power is proportional to torque and rpm and they rise and fall together, ......even though you then decided that you didn't admit it at all

What the heck, watching you argue in circles is incredibly fun
Old 04-27-2012, 03:07 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DLE 20 vs OS 120 AX

Only if they get that torque at or near the same speed. Torque is a force, if it is used to turn a crank that does not move then there is no power. When the crank moves then work is being done. Power is the rate that work is being done. Your analogy is somewhat true, torque is the force pushing the car, but to push it faster means more speed thus more power is created as a result.

Intresting fact. AA fuel dragster engines are too powerful and too unpredictable to test run on a dyno. Thier power is measured from the data of an actual run by measuring the speed and acceleration of the run.

You never mentioned any mathematics either unless it was some very early message and I was not responding to you. I used the fast reply by error, I thought i was responding to http://<b><font color=''#00265e'' si....5r</font></b> . His analogy was that torque gets you moving and horsepower keeps you moving. Not quite true but certainly truer than the statement that more torque means more horsepower. The latter is only true if the engine is turning at the same speed or at a speed not significantly slower. a 10% increase in RPM increase horsepower 10% which is the same amount a 10% increase of torque increases horsepower.

P= 2 x pi x N x T

P, N and T are proportional to each other, When one rises, so do the others. When one falls, so do the others. This relationship is true across the whole rev range. The degree of proportionality can vary due to efficiency at different rpm but the guiding matehmaticl principal and the physics of it is pretty clear.

The statement was if torque goes up then power goes up. That is only true if the RPM does not go down. The simple statement ignores the fact that you cannot get more torque from an engine without changing the timing, and that often means you have to time for a lower speed. I know the mathmatics and the equasion proves that the power goes up or down on the same porportion for speed and torque.

The effect is that increasing torque requires decreasing speed, and increasing speed decreces torque. This is not based on the equasion, but on the breathing ability of the engine. Higher speed means it cannot breath as well so you get less air and fuel in the cylinder so less pressure on the crank which means less torque, lower speed does the opposite so there is more torque and less speed.

However a glow engine has a more powerfull fuel. So everything being equal (which they are not between these engines) the same size glow engine should have more power than the same size gas engines. Most glow engines are simply designed for RPM so simply converting them to gas means they will slow down and are no longer running at their optimal timing. Gas engines have the opposite problem, the fuel has more power when converted so a bigger prop must be used to run at its optimal speed, sometimes so much so the fuel wants to detonate.

The effect is that increasing torque requires decreasing speed, and increasing speed decreces torque.

Sport Pilot said: ''The statement was if torque goes up then power goes up. That is only true if the RPM does not go down. The simple statement ignores the fact that you cannot get more torque from an engine without changing the timing, and that often means you have to time for a lower speed. I know the mathmatics and the equasion proves that the power goes up or down on the same porportion for speed and torque.''

You contradict yourself. If RPm goes down, power goes down as does torque. Then you though in timing concerns to make yourself sound intelligent. We are talking about an engine. no changes needed. I'm at least glad you finally admit the science is sound.

Sport Pilot said: '' The effect is that increasing torque requires decreasing speed, and increasing speed decreces torque. This is not based on the equasion, but on the breathing ability of the engine. Higher speed means it cannot breath as well so you get less air and fuel in the cylinder so less pressure on the crank which means less torque, lower speed does the opposite so there is more torque and less speed.

Ok so in the next paragraph you through the equation out of the window and we're back to alchemy. Power increase results in a torque increase, we agred that previously. Don;t bring mean effective pressure into it because to change that you need to either force more air in via a poump or you need to lengthen the stroke to increase the breathing capacity (more displacement))

Sport Pilot Said:'' However a glow engine has a more powerfull fuel. So everything being equal (which they are not between these engines) the same size glow engine should have more power than the same size gas engines. Most glow engines are simply designed for RPM so simply converting them to gas means they will slow down and are no longer running at their optimal timing. Gas engines have the opposite problem, the fuel has more power when converted so a bigger prop must be used to run at its optimal speed, sometimes so much so the fuel wants to detonate.

I mean really now, are you arguing with yourself? So which is it? does glow fuel have more power or does gasoline? and what does ''detonate'' mean? Do you refer to knock? why does the fuel want to detonate prematurely if too small a prop is used. Over reving has little to do with know unless there excess heat resulting which probably means theres a bigger problem.

But I'm glad you are at least starting to see that Power is proportional to torque and rpm and they rise and fall together, ......even though you then decided that you didn't admit it at all

Intresting fact. AA fuel dragster engines are too powerful and too unpredictable to test run on a dyno. Thier power is measured from the data of an actual run by measuring the speed and acceleration of the run.

You never mentioned any mathematics either unless it was some very early message and I was not responding to you. I used the fast reply by error, I thought i was responding to http://<b><font color=''#00265e'' si....5r</font></b> . His analogy was that torque gets you moving and horsepower keeps you moving. Not quite true but certainly truer than the statement that more torque means more horsepower. The latter is only true if the engine is turning at the same speed or at a speed not significantly slower. a 10% increase in RPM increase horsepower 10% which is the same amount a 10% increase of torque increases horsepower.

P= 2 x pi x N x T

However a glow engine has a more powerfull fuel. So everything being equal (which they are not between these engines) the same size glow engine should have more power than the same size gas engines. Most glow engines are simply designed for RPM so simply converting them to gas means they will slow down and are no longer running at their optimal timing. Gas engines have the opposite problem, the fuel has more power when converted so a bigger prop must be used to run at its optimal speed, sometimes so much so the fuel wants to detonate.

Sport Pilot said: ''The statement was if torque goes up then power goes up. That is only true if the RPM does not go down. The simple statement ignores the fact that you cannot get more torque from an engine without changing the timing, and that often means you have to time for a lower speed. I know the mathmatics and the equasion proves that the power goes up or down on the same porportion for speed and torque.''

Sport Pilot said: '' The effect is that increasing torque requires decreasing speed, and increasing speed decreces torque. This is not based on the equasion, but on the breathing ability of the engine. Higher speed means it cannot breath as well so you get less air and fuel in the cylinder so less pressure on the crank which means less torque, lower speed does the opposite so there is more torque and less speed.

Sport Pilot Said:'' However a glow engine has a more powerfull fuel. So everything being equal (which they are not between these engines) the same size glow engine should have more power than the same size gas engines. Most glow engines are simply designed for RPM so simply converting them to gas means they will slow down and are no longer running at their optimal timing. Gas engines have the opposite problem, the fuel has more power when converted so a bigger prop must be used to run at its optimal speed, sometimes so much so the fuel wants to detonate.

I mean really now, are you arguing with yourself? So which is it? does glow fuel have more power or does gasoline? and what does ''detonate'' mean? Do you refer to knock? why does the fuel want to detonate prematurely if too small a prop is used. Over reving has little to do with know unless there excess heat resulting which probably means theres a bigger problem.

P= 2 x pi x N x T

P= 2 x pi x N x T

P= 2 x pi x N x T

P= 2 x pi x N x T

P= 2 x pi x N x T

P= 2 x pi x N x T

P= 2 x pi x N x T

[quote]ORIGINAL: TimBle

[quote]ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Intresting fact. AA fuel dragster engines are too powerful and too unpredictable to test run on a dyno. Thier power is measured from the data of an actual run by measuring
Old 04-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Dang, that has to be the worlds biggest quote ..... and without a response that I could detect.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Dang, that has to be the worlds biggest quote ..... and without a response that I could detect.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Sport_Pilot

Ealier I posted a logn post that would have looked a little bit less than MetalicJunkies post. So I will keep it short. IMO MJ's post should be deleted as it takes up server space with no added information.

Why are you upset? I did not have a problem with your statement that if torque goes up then the power probably will go up. It was another statement by someone else that said it will go up regardless, that I had an issue with. Also you missunderstood much of my post. I never contradicted that glow fuel is more powerful than gas. I said that a converted gas engine has issue with glow fuel because the speed increases putting it at an RPM that is not ideal to its port timing. Thus a larger propeller is needed to get the most out of it, but that could lead to detonation if a colder glow plug or lower nitro fuel is not used. Knock is a laymans term that could be used for both detonation and preignition. Detonation is whenat least some of the fuel air mixture ignites at once, if bad enough it causes a knock, but so can pre ignition.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 AM
SkyPilot101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K......O.K........BUT What IF...............I run my DLE-20 on gas & 20% Nitro.............Which one would be more POWERFULL Then........Eh?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 AM
TimBle

the engine that registers the highest mean effective pressure. your first problem is to get nitro and gasoline to mix.
anyways nitro burns slower than gasoline so its not great for producing rpm but its a great combustion improver in alcohol fuels.
Depending on the aromatics content of the fuel in your area, it may or may not mix well with the gasoline

but yes, you were just being light hearted
Old 04-29-2012, 01:09 PM
SkyPilot101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E-85 & 20% Nitro, perhaps?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:38 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get in touch with a URSA Giant scale pylon racer. Most all use Glowplugs and a good mix. That combination gives very good power....thats what the National Champs use. Ralph ( Antique) could explain better than I can. I have seen him at the Nats before....he knows what makes engines go. Capt,n
Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

E-85 & 20% Nitro, perhaps?
at E85 adding nitro will likely cause the gasoline to drop out but I've not tired that yet

Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

anyways nitro burns slower than gasoline so its not great for producing rpm but its a great combustion improver in alcohol fuels.
Yes, and no.  Nitro burns in two phases, it has a flame front that travels rapidly, but complete combustion is slow, it is still burning when the exhaust valves open if not blended with alcohol.. 
Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

the engine that registers the highest mean effective pressure. your first problem is to get nitro and gasoline to mix.
Depending on the aromatics content of the fuel in your area, it may or may not mix well with the gasoline

but yes, you were just being light hearted
I understand nitro will mix with gas up to about 8% before some drops to the bottom of the tank. But adddingmethanol to the mix will allow them to blend together. I believe it will mix with ethanol but Iam not sure.

I don't know about the diaphrams in the gas engines. One material will hold up to methanol and nitro, but not gas, the other to gas but not methanol, and it would probably fare a lot worse with nitro.