Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brisson 5.8 with glow plug

Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 PM
56 CHEVY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brisson 5.8 with glow plug

I just got an older Nosen P 51 with what looks like a brisson 5.8 engine. It has no ignition system and has an adapter in the spark plug hole with a glow plug. I took a couple pics of the carb adapter and carb because they don't look familiar to me. Could this engine be fitted with an ignition and run on gas, and would I have to change out the carb. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11027.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1740288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56221.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1740289  
Old 03-18-2012, 06:11 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Brisson 5.8 with glow plug

Put a rcexl ignition on it. You can use the original NGK BPMR7A spark plug? or use the smaller BPMR7F tapered seat plug. The ignition caps will be different. for these plugs but the threads and reach are the same. You will have to buy the correct ignition for the spark plug you intend to use

The carb looks to be a Tillotson HL. No reason not to use it?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Try to run and adjust the carb on gas. But if it was modified for alky, then plan for a replacement carb
Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 PM
56 CHEVY

Thank you for the reply. That will be the plan. Any idea why someone would convert it to glow? I am assuming it was run on glow fuel.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

It was converted to run on glow to make more power....The carb on the left is a Herbrandson 280 twin carb, Walbro parts but no fuel pump..It needs crankcase pressure to function...It's on the stock location...How in the world is the Tillotson connected, the exhaust port is over there...
Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 AM
56 CHEVY

The 2 pics show the same Tillotson carb. One shows the manifold and the top of the carb, the other shows the bottom of the carb looking thru the left side of the plane. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Antique

OK, my bad...You will find the carb has been modified to pass twice as much fuel..It should work, just not take as many turns on the needles as a carb made for gas...The plane was likely made to race at Madera in the early 90s...Or not..
FWIW, Brison was not in extistence in the early 90s....If you can see the con rod a copper color means a Sachs crank, a steel color means it has the A&M crank, maybe the reason for the rubber mounts,...Worst vibrator ever made for an airplane, one reason for the demise of A&M....
Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 AM
51-D GUY

What ever you do , don't send it to antique, ! he will steal the crank out of it as he did mine, he's already asking about it ,

beware this guy is a CROOK !
Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Antique

OH OH< busted..I'm secretely amassing a stash of 5.8 Sachs cranks to sell on E Bay..Actually, antique is a really nice guy who lets me use his sign in formation.
The so called CROOK is me, Ralph Cunningham..I have NO use for the crank you said I stole, and if you had just asked for a refund of your money I would have sent it...Too late now...
Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 AM
56 CHEVY

Update: It turns out the engine is a Sachs and not a Brison as I originally thought. The con rod is copper colored also. Antique is correct in that is was built to race, according to the guy I got it from. Sorry Antique, I am keeping it.

It should be enough power for the Nosen P51.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Antique

Reading comprehension 101
Show me where I expressed any interest in your engine...And FWIW, there are NO Sachs model airplane engines, just engines made using Sachs and Dolmar chainsaw parts..Sachs engineers way back when makde did make a few small 35 or 45 engines, to be sold by chainsaw dealers..Never got off the ground, apparently too small and pricey at the time...