Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Another G38 prop question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Another G38 prop question

I've done some searches and the Zinger line of props seem to be the most popular suggestion for a G-38. I have to believe that's largely due to the fact that the G38 has been around forever, and Zinger props have been around forever so they've always gone hand in hand, but I don't know that for sure. Point being, there are a lot more prop choices now than there were when these engines come out.

That said, I do currently have a Zinger (18x8 or 18x10, I honestly can't remember) on my G38 on a Dynaflite Decathlon. I just ordered an electronic ignition conversion from rcextremepower.com and was looking to try a different prop when I get the engine changed over. The ultimate goal is to reduce weight/wing loading and increase performance, so I'm looking for an aerobatic prop. I'm thinking about trying an Xoar 18x8, but looking for other's opinions as well.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Another G38 prop question

The Zinger 18 X 10 was the prop of choice for the G38 for many years

Now people mostly use the Xoar 18 X 10 but that is a general purpose prop.

For more vertical you might try a 19 X 8?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:31 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

19" prop on the Dynaflite Decath might be a touch (pardon the pun) long for the standard landing gear.I have seen a build that used a larger engine and prop to set up for glider tug, but that one had custom gear for the purpose.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have seen that comment from others, but in about 5 years of flying it I haven't ever come close to dinging my 18" prop. And I've had some cruddy landings that required straightening the gear legs after. I'll check the clearance as it is now and decide if I'm willing to chance the 19, or just switch the Xoar 18x10 (I did confirm my current prop is a Zinger 18x10) and hopefully it will be a better fit for the plane.