Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

My DLE 55 does not like to pull fuel to the carb after it sets for a while.

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

My DLE 55 does not like to pull fuel to the carb after it sets for a while.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:40 AM
warhawk demon
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My DLE 55 does not like to pull fuel to the carb after it sets for a while.

Has anyone else had this problem? My DLE does not like to pull fuel to the carb when she is cold. if i put my finger over the little hole in the choke plate
it pulls it right up in a couple flips. has anyone plugged this hole and how did you do it?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:57 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: My DLE 55 does not like to pull fuel to the carb after it sets for a while.

You can solder the hole shut (I would remove the choke plate from the shaft first ,and be sure to put some loctite on the screw when you put it back).
The cause of the problem is probably the carb diaghram.
You should not need to close the hole in the choke if the diaghram (fuel pump) ,is working correctly.
Put a carb kit in it and be sure to replace the diaghrams and clean or replace the internal screen while your in there.
K20 WAT is the kit number - many sources on ebay
Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: My DLE 55 does not like to pull fuel to the carb after it sets for a while.

Some are soldering the hole shut, myself I think that you have another issue, like maybe a air leak in the fuel supply or the reeds are not sealing good. One other item to check is the pulse line they get hard and leak at times and won't pump properly. Of course there is always the internal carb issues, a dirty screen can also cause this. But I would do the simple stuff to start off with.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 AM
warhawk demon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey guys i didnt mention this is a new engine. this is the 3rd new dle in my club that has this issue. i agree it may be internal but seems weird all three
do the same thing.one is so bad he has to take the muffler off and squirt gas in the cylinder every time he starts it. if not ,you can flip it all day and it will never hit
Old 03-29-2012, 04:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have 3 of those and worked on a pile of them, thats not a normal problem, especially for a new engine.

Either the choke plate isn't seating (it doesn't need solder) or you have a plumbing problem.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

when one of my gassers has been sitting for a while regardless of brand, they all take several flips of the prop to get the carb wet.... after i get it to pop with the choke on and throttle open, it may take a few more to get it running.... thats pretty much the way it is

is this your first gasser?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:12 AM
warhawk demon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

come on guys.. enouph with the newbie stuff.. No its not my first. ive been flying gas since 1986. This is the fist time ive seen this issue be such a problem.
and fliping the prop 200 times to get fuel is not normal. on my new dle 55its still on the test bench and i can duplicate this issue at will. pluging the hole works every time.
2 or 3 flips and she pops.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 AM
pe reivers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What Barracudahockey said.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: warhawk demon

come on guys.. enouph with the newbie stuff.. No its not my first. ive been flying gas since 1986. This is the fist time ive seen this issue be such a problem.
and fliping the prop 200 times to get fuel is not normal. on my new dle 55its still on the test bench and i can duplicate this issue at will. pluging the hole works every time.
2 or 3 flips and she pops.

Plugging the hole is just a band-aid to another issue. I also agree with BH that you have an air leak someplace. The first place I would look is in the induction area. The carb/carb block/reed cage/crank case stackup is problematic with the rear carb setups. Very easy to overtighten the 2 mounting bolts and distort the plastic parts. The second place to look would be the reed block and reeds. If the reeds arent sealing well during the piston downstroke then you have a weak pulse going to the diaphram. Soldering the choke plate may get you better starts but the root issue will still leave you with poor performance and reliability.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 AM
apalsson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

I have 3 of those and worked on a pile of them, thats not a normal problem, especially for a new engine.

Either the choke plate isn't seating (it doesn't need solder) or you have a plumbing problem.
+1

Also, I would confirm the diaphragm is correctly installed and not hardened
A maintenance kit is cheap from you local lawn mower shop and includes different types of diaphragms, gaskets etc
Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not saying this will be your issue, however I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be the reeds not seating properly.
It's like a different engine now.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 AM
Jezmo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Reeds, plumbing problems, bearing seals leaking, in no particular order.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:41 AM
doswings

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hope you folks don't mind me butting but I have a DLE 30 with more or less the same problem. It started and ran great last year but after storing for a few months won't start. If primed it starts and runs great but no matter how many times I flip the prop I can't get it to pop. I've been reading the various forms and did replace the filter screen and looked at a rubber diaphragm on opposite side of the carb. It looks good and is flexible. I keep hearing the term "Reed Block and Pulse Line"  which could cause the problem. Where in the carb is this found, on the filter screen side or the side with the plate held on by four screws. I've tried to find a site with an exploded view of the carb without success as it would really help.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: doswings

Hope you folks don't mind me butting but I have a DLE 30 with more or less the same problem. It started and ran great last year but after storing for a few months won't start. If primed it starts and runs great but no matter how many times I flip the prop I can't get it to pop. I've been reading the various forms and did replace the filter screen and looked at a rubber diaphragm on opposite side of the carb. It looks good and is flexible. I keep hearing the term ''Reed Block and Pulse Line'' which could cause the problem. Where in the carb is this found, on the filter screen side or the side with the plate held on by four screws. I've tried to find a site with an exploded view of the carb without success as it would really help.

Thanks,
Rich
Your 30 doesn't have a pulse line as such. The pulse port is internal between the carb and the reed block and is just a drilled passage. The DLE 55 uses a separate external line for this function.

The reed block lives between the carb and the backplate on the engine. If you don't know where is it, I don't think I would recommend you try to work on it unless you're up for learning new things about engine maint.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 AM
BR1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gentlemen

For what its worth I have found the tip of the needle stuck in the seat after a lengthy storage time on three occasions at least.
Might be worth a look at beginning of the flying season.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 AM
doswings

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info. I've done quite a bit with engines, cars when a kid, two and four stroke fuel engines as a flier over the last 40 years. The carbs on these gassers look rather simple and if you've been in this hobby for a number of years tinkering come natural.
Thanks again,
Rich
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM
doswings

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What needle is that?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: doswings

Thanks for the info. I've done quite a bit with engines, cars when a kid, two and four stroke fuel engines as a flier over the last 40 years. The carbs on these gassers look rather simple and if you've been in this hobby for a number of years tinkering come natural.
Thanks again,
Rich
You never know what experience level you are responding to on these forums. Didn't mean to speak down to you in any way.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM
doswings

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Didn't take it that way. just glad for the info.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 AM
unclecrash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lets see there is only 3 needles I know of low and high speed and needle and seat for the gas flow. All are easy to check.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:47 AM
BR1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry I was referring to the gas flow needle and seat on Walbro carburators.