Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Quadra 75 replacement gasser

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:36 PM
comanche260c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quadra 75 replacement gasser

Whats a good gasser to replace my Quadra 75 in my zoroli p40 94 inch wing. Weighs 32lbs.Been looking at DA and evolution motors. Any good advice is appreciated
Old 03-29-2012, 03:06 PM
aussiesteve

Default RE: Quadra 75 replacement gasser

For your purposes, I would recommend a DA 85.

They have top of the range service and support.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM
comanche260c

thanks steve is evolution any good
Old 03-29-2012, 03:40 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZDZ 90. Plenty of power and smoother than the DA. If you don't like TBM, AMR in Canada is a distributor.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:47 PM
aussiesteve

The Evolution Gasser is also known as the MVVS (They are made by MVVS and branded with the Evolution name).

I have found that whilst the MVVS 80 is a decent enough engine. It is not as user friendly as the DA product regarding tuning, installation, and the need for regualr servicing (such as the front bearing needing regular oiling). The DA 85 is equally powerful and it will be a better fit to many other airframes (Many are designed around "DA Dimensions" - very few are designed around "MVVS Dimensions"). Aftermarket parts such as exhausts are also more readily available for the DA products.

Technical support for DA products is world reknowned as being second to none.

If you are looking at used engines, some of the very first 85's had a few issues but they were sorted out well. As far as I know, DA will upgrade any of their engines to the later specs in double quick time and at a very low cost.

And before I get tagged as a "DA Fanboy" - anyone who knows me will know that I am far from that.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm surprised you would want to replace the 75. That is a great but old engine that I doubt you could ever wear out. Its rear exhaust is good for warbirds and though it has a side carb, it is tucked close to the case. It fits well in most any cowl. Mag ignition not your cup of tea? No problem as it adapts easily to electronic ignition. The 75 isn't the smoothest running engine from a vibration standpoint but it is on par with the DA-85. Yes, the 85 will be more powerful and it will be shiney and new ... but better, I wonder. Sorry if I didn't answer your question but I am a 75 fanboy.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

I'm surprised you would want to replace the 75. That is a great but old engine that I doubt you could ever wear out. Its rear exhaust is good for warbirds and though it has a side carb, it is tucked close to the case. It fits well in most any cowl. Mag ignition not your cup of tea? No problem as it adapts easily to electronic ignition. The 75 isn't the smoothest running engine from a vibration standpoint but it is on par with the DA-85. Yes, the 85 will be more powerful and it will be shiney and new ... but better, I wonder. Sorry if I didn't answer your question but I am a 75 fanboy.
I was thinkin the same thing, all of Nuicks designs were made around the G-62. The Q-75 has way more power than a 62 and is plenty of power for the P-40 especially being under 35lbs. You've got a great combination there, I'd save my $$ and stick with the 75.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:56 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

I was thinkin the same thing, all of Nuicks designs were made around the G-62. The Q-75 has way more power than a 62 and is plenty of power for the P-40 especially being under 35lbs. You've got a great combination there, I'd save my $$ and stick with the 75.
i wouldnt say way more power.... most guys ive seen using both the q75 and g62 swing the same old 22x10 props

the 85 will smoke a q75.....the 75s usually swing 22x10s whee as a da 85 will happily swing a 26x10
Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

i wouldnt say way more power.... most guys ive seen using both the q75 and g62 swing the same old 22x10 props

the 85 will smoke a q75.....the 75s usually swing 22x10s whee as a da 85 will happily swing a 26x10
Those must have been some wimpy 75s you've been around! Mine turn a 24-10 with authority and would be seriously under propped with a 22-10. No question the 85 would be more powerful than the 75 but then it should be with 10cc more displacement and being a much newer design.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, take your battle out with Ari, and leave MVVS out of it.
You know the front bearing oiler is to prevent bearing failure due to oil starvation. When in DA the front bearing fails due to oil starvation, you can send it in of course.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Steve, take your battle out with Ari, and leave MVVS out of it.
You know the front bearing oiler is to prevent bearing failure due to oil starvation. When in DA the front bearing fails due to oil starvation, you can send it in of course.

Pe
Sorry that you think my comments have anything to do with the situation Ari has placed MVVS into here in Australia but you are very much mistaken on that belief. In fact they have nothing to do with that and I still think they are good engines. Had I mentioned anything about the situation in Australia, I would have also mentioned parts availability, Warranty coverage being slow and customers being ignored by the "official" distributor seemingly because they are associated with me (on engines that came through that official supply chain). That ignorance has cost the brand quite a few sales here already. I didn't previously mention those things because they only seem to apply in Australia and to a dealer who I funded initially to get into his dealership (that funding is not limited to only MVVS Engines BTW) but who now seems hell bent on attacking me at every opportunity - something I have ignored until now.

Whilst I am happily flying a number of MVVS (Including 2 x 80cc) and my flying colleagues are also enjoying some of those, The fact is that the most recent engines I have purchased for myself have included a DA 120 and a DA 60 because I know that I will be able to get parts PDQ should I need them. That 120 is to be installed into an airframe that was previously intended for an MVVS 116 that previously became unusable due to crank issues after a few hours and that is now showing signs of those same issues recurring with the new parts (Piston pin wear followed by (or at the same time as) catastrophic little end bearing failure followed by the destruction of the engine). Anyone that knows me will know how "emotionally" difficult it was for me to pull the trigger on those particular purchases.

Here is the ACTUAL basis of my comments.

The OP asked a straightforward question. I have seen some of the OP's posts elsewhere and he has limited gasser experience. (I am not referring to time here.
For the Original question, taking the two brands asked about into account and the main suppliers of those two brands in the location of the OP, One of those brands is a far better choice than the other.

There are limited useful "80cc" class engines on the market. One of my favorite brands is in that group (3W) but I didn't suggest those either. Fact is, in the USA (and in Australia for that matter) DA offers the best support for an engine that there is. I don't know about elsewhere in the world because I have never dealt with the brand anywhere else and I have no doubt that if someone was located close (in postal timeframes) to you, I would be suggesting MVVS. In the USA, there are many unhappy with the Evolution / distributor but there are many that are very happy with the DA "Distributor".

I hope that clarifies that as I will not be posting on the subject again. I will however continue to offer my best advice based on what I know of products and the users asking the questions. For some that may be a suggestion to look at a very low cost Asian made product, for others it may be a more expensive Western / European made product. Not only in engines but in airframes and accessories. Fact is "After sales" support is a large part of success of any product. There are some pretty mediocre products out there that have done well because of great after sales support. There are also some excellent products that have failed because of poor support. That support includes the attitude of the supplier, the ready availability of parts and the true level of knowledge of the supplier (not all problems are associated with needle settings or poor installation).

Old 03-31-2012, 02:08 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fair enough Steve.
To respond to the OP question. IMHO, the MVVS / Evolution 58 is a direct replacement powerwise. I see no reason to go to 80cc. That would be some serious overkill.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:54 AM
comanche260c

I hope to keep the quadra 75 as  she started and ran nice on ground. I replaced carb.I was just wondering what engine would be a goodreplacement in case it went bad. Thanks for  all the advice.Im toldQuadra is a great engine.I did  spot the 3w75 that  also hase side carb just in case  it goes.bad. here is a link to 3wmotors http://www.aircraftinternational.com...5/Default.aspx