Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

General Question-Gas engine Fits Entirely Inside Cowl

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

General Question-Gas engine Fits Entirely Inside Cowl

Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: General Question-Gas engine Fits Entirely Inside Cowl

On round cowls, without blocking the excess frontal area, without exception we found severe engine overheating of both gas and glow engines.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

truckracer, I am in agreement with Pe, mostly.I believe in proper baffles as the ideal way to ingest cooling air, slow it down sufficiently to allow heat transfer and then extract it. for round cowl planes however many people simply blank off the inlet so that they can achieve the 1:3 inlet outlet "rule". They then create a myriad of other problems including an overheated engine. This is because simply adding a restriction does not for cooling. It functions instead to raise pressure outside the cowl, leading to poor extraction. The outlet now needs a fairly aggressive air dam to create the low pressure. This is seldom present or correctly executed. Rather leave the blank off and cut a hole pf equal size in the rear of the cowl. Its more effective.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Hmmmm .... My YAK has a baffle in the cowl very similar to what Pe shows in the pictures linked to in his article. About the only thing missing is the baffle that wraps around the cylinder. It is a bit difficult to direct the air on the muffler side of the cylinder due to the muffler stack being in the way. I planned to put an air dam on the bottom of the cowl but never got to it. The cowl does however have some moldings that could serve as an airdam I guess. The engine cools very well so I doubt I will change anything. I've probably done more than most to provide for cooling airflow as most people do nothing but cut a few random holes!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM
acerc

Wow. Such a simple issue made complicated. Those who know-do, those who don't know-ask, those who ask and resist = replace engine's.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: acerc

Wow. Such a simple issue made complicated. Those who know-do, those who don't know-ask, those who ask and resist = replace engine's.
And some just make wise cracks that accomplish nothing!

I'm participating in this discussion with the hopes the OP will gleen some info from it. How about you?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 PM
unclecrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are saying im going to burn my engine down , not going to happen. I have been around airplanes and engines my whole life and race sleds. I know very well if an engine goes lean and is loseing power you better get out the throttle and blip it quite a few times to get a load of fuel back in it. Along with a bit of some castor works wonders. I have never burned down an engine in my life close as I came was when I out ran the cops in My firebird with a big block chevy I built myself. With a 4:11 posi and borg worner four speed it was not very nice on the engine to Have to run. For say 3 miles wide open. On the last corner with only having a 5 quart pan. I put all the oil on the top of the motor on the last corner before pulling in my sub. I looked over at my buddy who thought they were going to catch me I smiled as I let the clutch out and had a slight rod knock. I babied it into the sub and put it away in the garage never to see the cops. At one point they were a football field away, they were trying to be sneeky by not turning on there bubbles but I was not having no part of it. So how bout that pic TR.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: unclecrash

If you are saying im going to burn my engine down , not going to happen. I have been around airplanes and engines my whole life and race sleds. I know very well if an engine goes lean and is loseing power you better get out the throttle and blip it quite a few times to get a load of fuel back in it. Along with a bit of some castor works wonders. I have never burned down an engine in my life close as I came was when I out ran the cops in My firebird with a big block chevy I built myself. With a 4:11 posi and borg worner four speed it was not very nice on the engine to Have to run. For say 3 miles wide open. On the last corner with only having a 5 quart pan. I put all the oil on the top of the motor on the last corner before pulling in my sub. I looked over at my buddy who thought they were going to catch me I smiled as I let the clutch out and had a slight rod knock. I babied it into the sub and put it away in the garage never to see the cops. At one point they were a football field away, they were trying to be sneeky by not turning on there bubbles but I was not having no part of it. So how bout that pic TR.
Unclecrash, I hope that wasn't directed at me. I've never said or even thought you'd be burning down any engines. In fact, I've thought we have had some spirited and enjoyable conversations on this thread.

Regarding the BB Chev .... I've had a few of those "all the oil is in the top" experiences myself ... street racing way back before restrictors were in common use. The old oil pressure needle wiggles a few times then hits the bottom peg! Takes awhile for the oil to get back to the pan again but I never blew an engine that way if the load war removed from the engine for awhile until the pressure could catch back up. Before the 396 -427 era, the 409 was especially bad for that oiling problem. No problems like that on small blocks in circle track racing with good oil systems though.

Back to the thread ..... have not had a chance to get any pictures together yet. If you look at the photos in Pe's reference link, you'll pretty much see the same thing I'm using only on a DLE30 with a yellow cowl!! I will get some pictures together when I get a chance.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
acerc

No Truckracer, unclecrash was responding to my post. And the post was not directed at anyone. Just simply was saying some get it and some don't and those that don't will eventually one way or another. Sometime's it does not matter how well somethng is explained, experience is required to fully understand and appreciate the outcome. I fully agree a round cowl need's bafffling of some sort. For sake of argument any engine enclosed will benefit to some degree from controling the airflow.

If I offended with the above post, my apoligies. That was not my intent.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Unclecrash, I hope that wasn't directed at me. I've never said or even thought you'd be burning down any engines. In fact, I've thought we have had some spirited and enjoyable conversations on this thread.

Regarding the BB Chev .... I've had a few of those ''all the oil is in the top'' experiences myself ... street racing way back before restrictors were in common use. The old oil pressure needle wiggles a few times then hits the bottom peg! Takes awhile for the oil to get back to the pan again but I never blew an engine that way if the load war removed from the engine for awhile until the pressure could catch back up. Before the 396 -427 era, the 409 was especially bad for that oiling problem. No problems like that on small blocks in circle track racing with good oil systems though.

Back to the thread ..... have not had a chance to get any pictures together yet. If you look at the photos in Pe's reference link, you'll pretty much see the same thing I'm using only on a DLE30 with a yellow cowl!! I will get some pictures together when I get a chance.
LOL no I wasn't directing at you. So you made the air dam from side to side and left the baffle part off. So all or most the air had to pass over the engine . Is this somewhat correct. I had a high volume pump is why all my oil was on top. The good old days Telegraph and Joy Road or before that M59 in Waterford was a party Town we could just hang out where ever you wanted and not get messed with by the cops. We arn't free any more
Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM
ADFEDELE
My Feedback: (11)

So how does ou plna fly with the dle20? Can you elaborate a bit. I'm interested in building one myself.

thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 02:00 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Enjoyed your story. I've outrun them three times. Once in a 440 SE Dodge Charger I built, once in a 400 Trans Am I built, and once with a big block Chevy pickup I built. I used to run hoses out of the back of the valve covers down to the oil pan on any of my hot rods that might see high speed long duration running. I had a lot of success believe it or not, racing American Motors Javelins and AMX cars. But man you sure had to rework the oil systems to keep those AMC engines together!! Nowadays though, running from the cops is a shooting offense, and if you don't get shot, you're going to jail for a long time.... You're right, we're not "free" anymore whatsoever.

AV8TOR
Old 09-24-2012, 03:42 PM
pilotpete2

I'm curious too. When I setup my first gasser, a YAK 54. The radial cowl had no cutout at all for the incoming air, so I cut out just the area immediately in front of the cylinder head, leaving the rest of the black painted intake area of the cowl closed. The exit area is easily 4 times the inlet area. Am I getting it right? The engine has never shown any sign of overheating in four seasons of flying.
Pete
Old 09-25-2012, 03:17 AM
pe reivers

You would have seen cooling problems, if you had opened all of the cowl inlet area. The jet of turbulent air over the engine you have right now does a very good job at cooling.