Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20 compression??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 04:30 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 20 compression??

On the first gal of gas in a new DLE 20 I ran Pennzoil 32/1.. The next couple of gals about 3 total now or close I find the compression has dropped off noticably. At the end of the 1st gal it was pretty good. I estimate it now to be less than it was when new before I ran it at all. After the 1st gal I went to 40/1 Pennzoil. Due to a bad rt arm and shoulder I always use an electric starter. I would say that it has so little compression now, that I'm not sure it could be hand started. I'm running an APC 17x6 prop and it still seems to pull pretty well. I read my plugs often and I'm confident it has never been run lean...My G38 that has been using the same gas oil mix is just thumping with compression. So does the DLE 20 wear out that soon? Anyone else with one care to respond? Thanks Brian Smith
Old 04-22-2012, 05:08 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: DLE 20 compression??

Something is wrong with the piston/ring/cylinder

DLE 20's have had trouble with the lower connecting rod bearing when run with less oil than 32:1
Old 04-22-2012, 06:05 AM
Brian Smith

Thanks as usual for your input. I may try a Bowman ring. Brian

ORIGINAL: w8ye

DLE 20's have had trouble with the lower connecting rod bearing when run with less oil than 32:1
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how does your motor run.........my 20 hardly has any compression but runs great
Old 04-22-2012, 06:11 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has gone through a cycle of low temperature compression where out of the box it was very high, then after the first tank it had dropped. Now at the end of the 2nd 5L its come right back up and improved and has stabilised. Its all feeling nice and lively on the throttle and fires up easily.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Brian Smith

Mine sounds about like yours. It runs decent and as I mentioned it pulls decent. But it is very evident, that the compression has dropped off and very low. Probably my last DLE. Thanks for the input. Brian
ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

how does your motor run.........my 20 hardly has any compression but runs great
Old 04-22-2012, 06:41 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Chinese rings leave a lot to be desired.

The rings in the DLE engines are very hard.

My Dle 20 has only about 1/4 of the ring seated.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I believe the recomened oil to gas ratio is 30-1. I would stay with that and make sure you use high quality 2 stroke oil like Redline or Sthil Ulta. These little engine do not use much gas....so do not cheap out using cheap oil. MY 2 Cents Capt,n
Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Brian Smith

Hmmmm............ How many DLE 20s do you have and how much time do you have on them? Brian

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I believe the recomened oil to gas ratio is 30-1. I would stay with that and make sure you use high quality 2 stroke oil like Redline or Sthil Ulta. These little engine do not use much gas....so do not cheap out using cheap oil. MY 2 Cents Capt,n
[/quote]
Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If the cylinder is not worn or scored I'd look for a stuck ring. You are describing the classic symptoms of a stuck ring ... and this will usually be on the exhaust side of the piston. Remove the muffler, rotate the crank until you can just see the piston through the exhaust port. Then gently rock the crank back and forth and watch the ring ..... you should see a very tiny amount of movement of the ring in the ringland on the piston. If not, I'd pull the jug and do an inspection of the cylinder, piston and ring. The problem will probably be quite visible. If all looks healthy, the Bowman ring might be a good way to go!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 PM
kerwin50

For 14 dollars or around that I'd go with the FB ring. I put one in my DLE30 brand new and have never looked back.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

For 14 dollars or around that I'd go with the FB ring. I put one in my DLE30 brand new and have never looked back.
Probably a good idea. Recently, I looked at one of my 30s after a whole season of flying. The ring only appears to have about half of the ring surface seated to the cylinder wall. There is some staining from blowby on the piston skirt. The engine runs great so I did not mess with it but I'm sure the engine would benefit from a better, more compliant ring.