Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 55 Ignition Plug Cap Question

Old 05-08-2012, 01:37 AM
rino
My Feedback: (121)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 55 Ignition Plug Cap Question

Hi guys,

I have a fairly new DLE 55 that I just swapped the plug out for the recommended CM-6 plug. I noticed that after installing this plug that when the ignition plug cap is in locked position, it can, if rotated or pulled, slide down about 2 mm - guessing. There is no way it can come off. But it can move down a smidge. Other DLEs caps I've seen don't budge at all when rotated.

W8ye and others with a lot of gasser experience, what's your take on this. Ever seen it before? What I don't get is with the current plug cap design, it seems like it would be hard to maintain contact between the plug and the contact deep in the cap. Any little movement would present a gap and arching. See how much I don't know...

Anyways, just blathering at this point. Any help would be appreciated. I can still send the ignition back to Tower if needed.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: DLE 55 Ignition Plug Cap Question

There are two springs inside the cap. One is way up in the very end where the end of the resister sticks through one of the coils. The other spring is near the open end of the cap and fits around the base of the spark plug.

There should be minimal dimensional difference between the DLE and NGK CM-6 spark plugs
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM
rino

So you don't think that little bit of movement will be an issue given there is no way the cap can come off?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 AM
w8ye

As long as it works and doesn't fall off.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 AM
rino

Many thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rino,
I just had a look at my 55, it appears to be pretty tight, have you got the spring that holds the bottom part of the cap halvestogether, and the light one that protrudes out the opening?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43809.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	1760496  
Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM
w8ye

I would be tempted to put a worm drive hose clamp around the base of that one.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM
rino

Thanks guys. I checked again and its ok and there is no way it can come off. I also called DA and they were nice enough to give me some advice = not uncommon and ok.

I also just had a brain fart. In that simple plug cap system there is only one thing that is to change - the tension of the c clip. I will bet I expanded it a little the last time I removed the cap.

Steve

Oh, I do have all of the springs.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I would be tempted to put a worm drive hose clamp around the base of that one.
An alternative you guys may consider is a piece of silicone tubing. I use a 3/8" long piece of 1/2" silicone tubing with a 3/32" wall. It stretches just enough yet holds firm....

I toss all original circle spring clamps that come with the CDI plug wire sockets in favor of the silicone tubing. It has turned out to be an effective solution holding the wire in place, but that also simplifies socket install/removal
Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
rino

Thanks again for the feedback and I like the last idea. I might use it.

I tightened the c-clip that goes around the cap and problem solved. The clip is actually easy to bend so I have no doubt that over time it will loosen a little.

My plane ran great today with the exception of my brand new Xoar 22x12 CF prop. Going to sell that one. It's just not what I expected.

Thanks again for helping me think this out.

Steve
Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 AM
rino

Guys, since I have your ear, I have a prop question. And, yes, I've ready every DLE 55 prop thread on all 3 forums. I do my homework.

I started with a Vess 22B. Decent speed and pull. Good prop. But, I want more pull and control surface authority = more air.

I bought a Xoar 22x10 CF. Great speed, sorry pull. Good for IMAC. I should have gone 22x8 or 23x8. CF is expensive and I'm going to sell the Xoar.

Has anyone found the magic prop for this motor? I want speed and pull. I flew with a friend today that has a Reactor with a 55 and a Mej. 22x8. He didn't have the speed but his pull was pretty good. Maybe I'm already there with the Vess but so many people say Mej. is the way to go.

Thoughts? Maybe I should start another post. 22x8 or 23x8 and which brand? Oh, it's got to be black

Thx