My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Saito FG-17 tuning question

This is my first gas four stroke engine (actually first four stroke for that matter) and the instructions give a ground rpm range of 2000-9500. I am using a K series 14x6, high speed needle is out 1.25 turns per manual and it runs excellent except I am nearing 11000 rpm at full throttle. I only did this once because of the fear of over revving it.

Are the high speed needles onfour strokes, whether gas or glow, supposed to be adjusted not to exceed the rpm range (9500 in this case)? Or should they be adjusted similiar to a two stroke and back off a little after reaching max rpm?
Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Saito FG-17 tuning question

14 X 8 would be the correct prop
Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 PM
corvettez06
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are right, 14x8 is the minimum recommended prop, but I am sure with that prop I willstill be over the recommened rpm.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:43 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Run a 15 X 6 then?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:23 PM
MercerAUST

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You should run the engine in by setting the high speed needle (probably half to one turn out from optimal so it starts to stumble at mid-revs) so the engine cannot exceed about 4,000/5,000 rpm for about the first 30 minutes (5-10 minutes on, then off for 5-10 minutes and so on). Try to vary the throttle settings a little.

After this initial run in, you can start to lean it to optimal. The engine takes about 4 hours to run in before you can optimal tuning (eg don't worry about getting it perfect until you have run time). Just tune it on the plane so it is realiable and not likely to dead stick. In my view, you don't to run the engine in on the ground for hours. After the 30 minute initial ground tune you can start flying the engine, but keep off the full throttle (except for take-off and emergency). After a further hour run time, running continously at WOT should be OK. As w8ye says, the engine should be propped to run in the recommend range. Make sure you use the recommended Saito fuel/oil mix (20:1 with good synthetic oil) for at least the first 10 hours.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Stick 40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FG 17 break in

Originally Posted by MercerAUST View Post
You should run the engine in by setting the high speed needle (probably half to one turn out from optimal so it starts to stumble at mid-revs) so the engine cannot exceed about 4,000/5,000 rpm for about the first 30 minutes (5-10 minutes on, then off for 5-10 minutes and so on). Try to vary the throttle settings a little.

After this initial run in, you can start to lean it to optimal. The engine takes about 4 hours to run in before you can optimal tuning (eg don't worry about getting it perfect until you have run time). Just tune it on the plane so it is realiable and not likely to dead stick. In my view, you don't to run the engine in on the ground for hours. After the 30 minute initial ground tune you can start flying the engine, but keep off the full throttle (except for take-off and emergency). After a further hour run time, running continously at WOT should be OK. As w8ye says, the engine should be propped to run in the recommend range. Make sure you use the recommended Saito fuel/oil mix (20:1 with good synthetic oil) for at least the first 10 hours.

I just ran my FG17 for the 30 min. break in, thanks for your post. It helped a great deal, as the book was not great.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:26 AM
bchapman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by corvettez06 View Post
This is my first gas four stroke engine (actually first four stroke for that matter) and the instructions give a ground rpm range of 2000-9500. I am using a K series 14x6, high speed needle is out 1.25 turns per manual and it runs excellent except I am nearing 11000 rpm at full throttle. I only did this once because of the fear of over revving it.

Are the high speed needles onfour strokes, whether gas or glow, supposed to be adjusted not to exceed the rpm range (9500 in this case)? Or should they be adjusted similiar to a two stroke and back off a little after reaching max rpm?
I've got the FG-21 and run the MAS K Series 16 x 6 and it pulls really nice. I can't remember the RPM at full throttle but I think it was around 9500 RPM or so. 11000 RPM seems really high for a 4 stroke, I'd use at least a 15 x 6 to avoid damage to the engine.

I love my Saito FG series though, what a great engine. Also want to mention that I run mine a little on the rich side also.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Stick 40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default max rpm

Originally Posted by corvettez06 View Post

I have had Saito Glow for about 35 years and they all have a max RPM. They never gave ground RPM, so I always set the ground RPM about 800 RPM's under the max. Has to do with the 4 cycle and what all the little moving parts can take. Don't want to make them mad. LOL
I would stay under the max ground RPM and as the book says. Max power if between 8500 to 9300 on the round. no need to go over 93K.