Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Help gettling more smoke out of my gasser

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Help gettling more smoke out of my gasser

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:40 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help gettling more smoke out of my gasser

Ok first off I already have a skywriter smoke set up in a 30cc GeeBee R3.

But my question is, I have a TopFlite Gaint Scale P51 with Kelo muffler set up and DLE55. I paid a lot for this muffler and it looks and sounds great!

But You cant see anything comeing out of it. Except the small oil mess it makes on my elevators.

Im not willing to run this motor untuned to get the look I want.

I just want a light smoke to come out of the muffler after starting and while taking/landing.

I was thinking of getting another skywriter but its soo big and hevayfor this bird, and I don't really have the space for it. like the GeeBee dose.

So I was thinking of getting a Parry pump, connect it to the motor, then a little heli fuel tank. and a check valve. I have never used one of these pumps but I see there adjustable.

I was thinking if I set the pump to low it would be strong enofe to push small amounths of oil only while at low rpm on the motor as thats when the muffler presure would be the lowest and when I want the smoke.

What you guys think?

If not is there a Smoke pump set up that is lighter or smaller than the Skywriter?

Thanks Mike

Old 06-26-2012, 10:05 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help gettling more smoke out of my gasser

what engine?
that pump should be fine....

you may not be getting the oil hot enough
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Perry will work fine.

They make gas and smoke oil versions in both the oscillating and impulse activated kinds.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
STUKA BARRY

You need to inject the oil right at the exhaust boss where the muffler bolts to the engine, the hotter the exhaust the more smoke. Super Dri is the best for smoke fluid, they went thru alot of R&D to get the chemical balance perfect.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM
mikes68charger

thanks guys but Im not looking for a ton of smoke but more of a scale look. Any light wight ideals?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a pulse type pump I made out of an old Walbro carb. On the left is the big pump B & B sells with their smoke kit. Mine weighs next to nothing and puts out sufficient smoke on a twin cylinder 50cc to make a nice aerobatic smoke trail. You can adjust the output with a needle valve assembly available from Perry, or a remote needle valve such as used on some OS engines and others. You also need a valve to turn it on and off. I have used both Perry valves and the cheapie from Dubro with equal success.

AV8TOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42838.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1775980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30742.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1775981  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's one of mine on my (very dirty) Giant Stik with twin cylinder 50cc engine. I didn't even bother to mount it. Just let it hang there on the lines, hidden by the mufflers. Been working for years. It has a glob of JB Weld on it because I thought it had a leak, but it turned out to be a hose with a pin hole in it leaking instead.

And I agree and use Super Dri smoke fluid myself.

AV8TOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75166.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1775985  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 PM
mikes68charger

So I could put a T fitting in on the line that gose to the stock DLE 55 fuel pump with this little pump you got, then use a Old nitro motor needle valve to control the flow and maybe a use a servo to contronl the pump to only come on while landing and starting....

This looks great You want to sell one?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The pump in the left of av8or1977's images is a Mikuni pulse fuel pump (under $20). Snowmobile and motorcycle shops carry them. I have one on my 26cc Mentor-G. The benefit is you don't need a battery like with the Smokewriter. Disadvantage is you have to put a pressure tap on the engine. Then you need some type of valve to control flow.

But the added complication and weightjust to get a little smoke on landing? No way. I'd come up with a microservo and squeeze bulb (Higley CA Dispenser?) to spray a tiny bit of mineral oil into the muffler using a barbfitting tapped into the muffler.

Or make a pocket on the flaps or gear bay to hold a bit of baby powder. We used to get great "smoke" using talcum powder on our rocket parachutes or in a modified nose cone (with a vent tube and ram air tube).
Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 AM
mikes68charger

You know maybee not a bad Ideal.

As the Kelo muffler is a good 3-4 above the head I could just squirt a little in before start up when no one is lookingand that way it will smoke a little while warming up.

Thanksmike
Old 06-27-2012, 05:56 AM
Charlie P.

You can give it a shot - but I think it has to be somewhat atomized/airborne for the smoke effect.  But a residual bit may give you just the start-up puff effect you want.  I know with my boat's diesel a bit of moisture will do that . . . at least I convince myself of that and that it's not motor oil seeping through a torn gasket.  [:'(]

All it will cost you to find out is a bit of mess.

I'm breaking in and adjusting throttle setting on a just installed engine tonight (Zenoah G-26) - I'll give it a test with a bit of smoke oil dripped in before starting.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Charlie P.

Yep.  Just a small squirt right up the exhaust port gave pretty good smoke immediately for 20 seconds or so.  I was surprised.  You could use lamp oil or mineral oil rather than buying a gallon of smoke oil. 
Old 06-27-2012, 10:00 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is "scale" smoke?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:23 AM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: airraptor

What is ''scale'' smoke?
Its a P-51 thing, you would'nt understand.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:42 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not just P-51's most radials really push out smoke at start up because of the oil sitting in the bottom cylinders. I'm thinking if you tapped the muffler and then had a little tank say maybe 2 oz in a high position so that gravity would allow it to run down into the exhaust, you could turn it on and off using a simple pinch valve system. Another option would be aMacs setup http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ674&P=7
ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: airraptor

What is ''scale'' smoke?
Its a P-51 thing, you would'nt understand.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Charlie P.

It's actually not all that much on a P-51. Not like the cartridge start some fighters used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TZEbooZsGhs