Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Peak power RPM, how good is the fit?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Peak power RPM, how good is the fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 PM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peak power RPM, how good is the fit?

I have a suspicion that on our bigger two stoke engines say 80 CC and up, most of the engines we use on our planes produce their peak power
at a higher RPM than we usually run them, of course the exhaust system has a lot to say about that.

I wonder if a change in port timing (and possibly other changes) would benefit some of the engines, that is bring down the peak power point to the low 6000 RPM range, where it could be better utilized. I would bet that a lot of the engines peak at 7000 RPM or better.

Since many of the engines we use have major parts in them that come from engines not designed for R/C some of the manufacturers are probably
handicapped as far as changing things too much.

Just changing the exhaust port timing can really move the power curve around.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:18 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Peak power RPM, how good is the fit?

I just don't prop mine so large and load them down so much. While everyone else is running 6000 ish, I run my engines at around 8000 and sometimes close to 10,000 on certain engines. We always ran high rpms with the glow engines right? Of course, great big props work better for 3D flying, which is why it is so common. I haven't checked the port timing, but I think a lot of the purpose built engines have lower timing more consistent with lower rpm operation. I fly mostly engines converted from chain saws and such, and they do like to rev!

AV8TOR
Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
pe reivers

Most two stroke gas engines can be made to run very wel around 6000 rpm. However, there is a rule of thumb that any engine will run well at about a piston mean speed of 15 m/sec. Above that, and metallurgy and lubrication will create a narrow operating window.
As Jody would say, now go play outside, or do the math. VVVBG

On props the story is different. You should not run them at tip speeds above 0.6 Mach. You can get more thrust out of them exceeding this figure, but propulsion efficiency goes to pots if you do. To much energy will be wasted converting valuable engine energy into noise.

The goal will always be to match the engine to a prop that fits the plane and flying style + local field requirements. To that end, on the engine side, there will be muffler adaption and carb selection. (smaller/larger carbs often allow a desirable shift in operating rpm window)

All this is not for the faint of heart. A lot of books have been written about the subject, and getting it all together can be a real PITA.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:36 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

The goal will always be to match the engine to a prop that fits the plane and flying style + local field requirements. To that end, on the engine side, there will be muffler adaption and carb selection. (smaller/larger carbs often allow a desirable shift in operating rpm window)

All this is not for the faint of heart. A lot of books have been written about the subject, and getting it all together can be a real PITA.
So very true, especially the very last bit.

Karol
Old 06-26-2012, 04:46 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of my chain saws run right at 14000 when you rev them up and stay a little above 9000 rpm in the cutting of the wood.

But my 50cc and larger gasoline model airplane engines run between 6500 and 7200 with the correct prop and regular muffler on the ground. Some are even chainsaw engine cylinders but prop efficiences drop off when the props turn too fast and make the ripping noises.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:59 AM
pe reivers

My first gas engine was a quadra 35 I bought with a plane. It had the standard muffler. The propeller fitted allowed the engine to run 8500 rpm. Performance was less than promising. It barely flew the plane.
Reverting to a 18x10 prop which reduced rpm to about 6000 made the plane very nice to fly and allowed slight aerobatics when using energy management.