Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Primer bulb???

Old 10-29-2014, 06:51 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, their price is reasonable compared to other offerings without the EFI. However, I fly all conversion engines that I get for free or nearly so. I have a fleet of 10 airplanes flying, and only one purpose built gasoline engine; a DA-100. All my other planes have converted Echo, Stihl, Homelite, and Ryobi engines. If it were not for conversion engines I could not afford to play in the gasoline engine arena.

AV8TOR
Old 10-29-2014, 07:06 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
Yes, their price is reasonable compared to other offerings without the EFI. However, I fly all conversion engines that I get for free or nearly so. I have a fleet of 10 airplanes flying, and only one purpose built gasoline engine; a DA-100. All my other planes have converted Echo, Stihl, Homelite, and Ryobi engines. If it were not for conversion engines I could not afford to play in the gasoline engine arena.

AV8TOR
AV8TOR; I fully understand and complement you on your conversion expertise! With the engine conversions you have completed, which of the engines that you have listed do you consider the best and most reliable to install in an RC aircraft?

Roger
Old 10-29-2014, 05:27 PM
av8tor1977

I like the Echo and Stihl engines the best. I've gotten great service out of the Homelites and Ryobis as well however. I have a Ryobi 31cc in my big 76" wingspan Tiger Moth biplane, and it is a "match made in heaven!" I have a souped up Homelite 30cc in my 72" Giles 202. It flies it just great. These engines aren't quite as light as purpose built R/C engines, but they are of higher quality than the Chinese imports, and what's the use of having a really light engine, and then having to add lead ballast to balance the airplane? All my planes balanced without lead anywhere, even with the somewhat heavier conversion engines in them.

AV8TOR
Old 10-29-2014, 06:05 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the name brand conversions.

I have some Stihl 27cc weed whacker engines and Stihl 025/MS250 chainsaw engines that have radial mount and beam mount tabs on them already.

My favorite is the 24cc Echo
Old 10-30-2014, 05:17 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by w8ye
+1 on the name brand conversions.

I have some Stihl 27cc weed whacker engines and Stihl 025/MS250 chainsaw engines that have radial mount and beam mount tabs on them already.

My favorite is the 24cc Echo
I too favor Stihl and Echo. But, I also have a Zenoah G23 (on a Sig J3), an Alpina A330. and unconverted Ryobi 2 and 4 strokes, and Macs. I have been looking for a Stihl 4 Mix engine to play with, but hard to find and, apparently not a great success story for Stihl. Anyone have any experience with them? I recently got a YS F120 (on a Gen 1 H9 J3). It appears that the induction cycle on it is similar to the 4-Mix. Any observations on this? Sincerely, Richard
Old 10-30-2014, 06:13 AM
av8tor1977

I converted two Stihl 32cc four strokes and sold them. They ran great though the carbs needed modified a bit to go rich enough. They were quite powerful for four strokes. Then I sold a 65cc to a customer and he converted it himself. He posted a video of it flying, and it sounded great and had about the power of a Zenoah G-62 believe it or not. I have a 36cc Four Mix that I converted and kept for myself. Sounds really neat. I have several of the 65cc Four Mix engines that I would sell unconverted as a package deal. If anyone is interested, send me a private message. They are really neat engines, and I think the main problem Stihl had with them was people using inferior oils, and/or improper oil mixtures. Of the different ones I tore apart, they had no seizing nor internal damage of any kind; just carbon build up on the valves.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 10-30-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:25 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
.... I have a 36cc Four Mix that I converted and kept for myself. Sounds really neat. I have several of the 65cc Four Mix engines that I would sell unconverted as a package deal. If anyone is interested, send me a private message. They are really neat engines, and I think the main problem Stihl had with them was people using inferior oils, and/or improper oil mixtures.

AV8TOR
Thanks, but the 36cc 4-Mix is more suited for my planes. let me know if you run across any more of them. Sincerely, Richard.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:36 AM
av8tor1977

Ok, but it's not likely. My brother and I go through literally hundreds of engines and have only come across the two 32cc Stihl Four Mixes and one 36cc. The others I have are all the 65cc which is too big for anything I presently have planned as well. One of these days I want to buy or scratch build a Fokker D7 biplane for that 36cc Four Mix I have. That should be a really cool match. I plan to make the Fokker stand off scale and use semi-symmetrical wings so I can do (non scale) aerobatics with it. Every plane I build that isn't well suited for aerobatics I eventually get tired of and sell.... I think the classic Fokker D7 with the four stroke engine would be really neat, and with symmetrical airfoils; really fun to fly.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 10-30-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:47 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Thanks, but the 36cc 4-Mix is more suited for my planes. let me know if you run across any more of them. Sincerely, Richard.
How about posting a photo of a converted 36cc 4-Mix engine? Thanks in advance.