Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Tuning issues

Old 07-04-2012, 06:15 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Tuning issues

Im still trying to get my DLE 20 dialed in. Idont know if it was the temp and humidity, but Istill get transition issues from idle to WOT. Right now it idles ~1800 with a 16X7 MAS. Full produces 8400, it has very little burble to it now, before it burbled a LOT. Low speed screw is just a tad rich, Ipeaked it, then turned rich 200. WOT did the same, idled down and readjusted a hair, then back to WOT and did it again. When Itaxied it around it seemed to be OK, then at the end of the runway, I went to throttle up and it quit. Walked out and it fired right up again with one flip, taxied around again and same thing happened at the same spot, fired right up again. I was planning to maiden the 4*120 I put it on, but after a test run, Icouldnt get my left and right coordinated, the wind was blowing from the southwest, opposite the direction I normally take off, so decided not to risk it.

The engine has less than a half gallon through it, could this be why it is quitting like this, or should I wait for a drier cooler day to retune the carb? Temps were in the 90's with 70% humidity.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:28 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Tuning issues

Just check and see if your engine was supplied with one of the strange throttle curve #4 RC exl ignitions.

Karol
Old 07-04-2012, 06:34 AM
acdii

It is. Ido have that idle down problem, but does that also cause it to quit when I try to throttle up from idle? I can understand it happening if it sat and idled for a while, the engine loads up, but both times was during taxiing where Iwas going up to half throttle bursts.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It's lean, probably on the high. When it quits like that, lean is almost a given. Let it burble, that's not hurting a thing especialy when it's low time like this one. Later, when things are closer to being completely dialed in and you have some confidence built up, THEN work on the burble.

A rich engine seldom quits! That would be a good thing about now?

Edit: BTW, this hot weather is not real engine friendly. Even when right, they act rich. Just go with it when over 90 degrees. You'll find enough to sweat about without trying to get the engine running perfectly in that kind of weather....
Old 07-04-2012, 02:11 PM
acdii

OK thanks, I'll dial it down a bit next time I decide to fly it.