Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Sthil chainsaw conversions and more

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Sthil chainsaw conversions and more

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:06 AM
FuzzyDice
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sthil chainsaw conversions and more

I have two Sthil chainsaws that crank and run like an old O.S. FSR ,maybe even better ;-) . I have a new BME 50 on a 28% Wildhare Extra that will be test flown soon (bought the BME and WildHare six years ago just now assembling........typical behaivor for me lol). Anyways , I was told or read it somewhere that a BME 50cc has a Echo powerhead ?? If someone could could make a 50cc out of a Sthil engine , I would buy one in a New York minute . I don't post messages much at all because I am usually too right wing Texan for the moderators so in advance ,I apologize to any Yankees I may have offended in the above comment " New York minute " . We are all one on this Happy Birthday USA!!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:38 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Sthil chainsaw conversions and more

The BME 50 is a former Echo 50cc chainsaw engine.

It is a clamshell design engine that is usually found in the homeowner grade chainsaws.

The BME 50 is a good design and I have one myself.

The homeowner Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws would be excellent subjects for conversion. Look for the chainsaws with a plastic chain oil tank. They will most likely be the clamshell design whereas the engine is a self contained unit and the rest of the chainsaw is plastic that can be easily discarded.

The Stihl 024, 026, 036, 044, 046, 066 etc are the pro chainsaws with the magnesium crankcases.

The newer ones are 260, 261, 262, 360,361,362, 440, 460, etc

Go to the websites and look at the homeowner lines to get a good idea of candidates.

One problem with the newer chainsaws is that there is a clamp-on rubber boot for the carburetor. This presents a problem for rigidly mounting a carb for the airplane.