Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Taylorcraft crash

Bucket of Popcorn - $5.00
    Large Pepsi - $4.00
    Snowcaps - $4.00

Watching this thread - PRICELESS
    Taz Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Neverlost1

If your great grandfather was on the Mayflower (1620), that would mean you are about 300 years old
    LOL! Oh man.... Who the HELL is going to replace my keyboard? RC cola thru the nose and right on the keyboard! TooFunny!
    I am callingDell to see if they'll replace this button sticking defective keyboard. No protection against RC Cola... THISISBSman....

Taz Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here we go. Who said i knew the bolt was wobbly when I took off?   I only found out it was wobbly after the crash when i inspected the  bolts in both wings. My conclusion was   gee why arent these bolts  snugger fit? than i inspected  how much area there was  in wing nut to  catch the bolt. And to my suprise it was very little. and when did I say I need more than 1 bolt in each wingTAZ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What would GRAND PA SAY??????????????? throw them over board

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: comanche260c

here we go. Who said i knew the bolt was wobbly when I took off? I only found out it was wobbly after the crash when i inspected the bolts in both wings. My conclusion was gee why arent these bolts snugger fit? than i inspected how much area there was in wing nut to catch the bolt. And to my suprise it was very little. and when did I say I need more than 1 bolt in each wingTAZ?
    You said it here -

come on what happened to redundancy..
    I know I only worked at the Department of Redundancy Department for a short while, but it seems you were eluding to their being more than one wing bolt with your comment, no?

Taz Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

TRUCK RACERΒ*Β* my bolt isΒ* like yours wasΒ* before you changed yours. ITΒ* fits in wopplyΒ* .
    Sorry, I was assuming you meant before you flew. Who would argue it was wobbly after it was stripped and had just destroyed their plane?
    Nothing difficult is ever easy.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am glad the full size planes you fly don't have wing bolts underwise you would be in the s@#t

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wrong taz read it again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

by saying redundancy I  was refering to the amount of thread in the bolt.   I was hoping in the design there would be   much more thread  to catch the wing bolt. I would of like to see like  1/2 inch or more to catch that threaded bolt . If I saw that amount in the wing bolt  this would of never happened. Thank You   you  hit the nail on the head , this is my argument and the weak point.  And this is soely the week ling and why I am holding them responsible because there was so little thread in the  wing nut allowing tremendous pressure on that soft nylon bolt. yippie I  oh you hit  the nail on the head and you are pointing at  my argument

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry  i meant weak link

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wrong taz read it again
    "Okay, let me rephrase the question your honor..."
    "In your previous comments about redundancy, are you not implying that the design should have more than 1 wing bolt with at least more than 3 or 4 threads of contact?"

Taz Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great Grandpa is 20 in 1620 and lives to be 100...1700
    Grandpa lives to be 100...1800
    Father lives to be 100...1900
    You live to 112...2012

Of course your forefathers had to bear children the year they died for this to work out this well.

Hmmmm...

Good Luck with Horizon.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

by saying redundancy I was refering to the amount of thread in the bolt. I was hoping in the design there would be much more thread to catch the wing bolt. I would of like to see like 1/2 inch or more to catch that threaded bolt . If I saw that amount in the wing bolt this would of never happened. Thank You you hit the nail on the head , this is my argument and the weak point. And this is soely the week ling and why I am holding them responsible because there was so little thread in the wing nut allowing tremendous pressure on that soft nylon bolt. yippie I oh you hit the nail on the head and you are pointing at my argument
    WHAT pressure on the wing bolt?
    Doesn't that plane have a wing tube?

Taz Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

see you tomorrow  I ate all the  pop corn   chips and  all the dip. no more soda either. Love ya all EDDIE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

see you tomorrow I ate all the pop corn chips and all the dip. no more soda either. Love ya all EDDIE
    Again, what pressure on the wing bolts?
    That plane NOT only has a wing tube that supports the flight loads, it also has wing struts.

Any excessive pressure on those wing bolts was applied by the guy who assembles her. I have sat and watched a 128" Span / 150cc Extra 300 do things in the air that defy the laws of physics. Two (2) 1/4 x 20 NYLON wing bolts hold eash wing panel in place.... The Wing tube/spar carries the load. The wing bolts just hold the wing to the fuse, just about zero lateral load.
    Taz Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Simple fix. Do not buy an airplane that was assembled in China. Build it from a kit yourself. Then you know its right. How is it said..... If you want something done right......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GTMUSTANGCS

Simple fix. Do not buy an airplane that was assembled in China. Build it from a kit yourself. Then you know its right. How is it said..... If you want something done right......
    Wow! Another tired issue that has been beaten to death in the forums of RCU!
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've had a couple of ARF's where the supplied wing bolts were suspect. I've enquired in each of those cases about replacements and each time the answer is something like " we build to the highest standards and qc blah blah blah" yet there it is in front of me bolts thats don't fit into the threaded nut or threads that were not rolled onto control rods properly.

there is always one or two ARF's, BNF's that will be a dud and its sounds like comanche bought it. I think he is well within his rights to request a replacement.

I Once bought a chess set for my nephew at TrU and there was a rook missing. I took it back and they replaced it with a new set. Not finding a Rook and mailing it to me, a new set.
    Since BNF,ARF even kit airplanes are also toys, defective goods shodbe replaced by the distributor. These toys are not exempt from cunsumer protection laws.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ain't gonna say it.............I ain't gonna say it.......................

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TimBle

I think he is well within his rights to request a replacement.
    After assembling and disassembling it many times AND flying it several times? WOW... Just Wow....

Taz Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

4 times assembling It  ismany times?   THAT SAYS IT ALL TAZ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I owned one of the original ARF's, and I do not know how the design differs if at all from the BNF. I do not understand how the wing moved outboard enough for the anti-rotational pins to move out of their holes if the wing struts were attached. Typically there has to be a lot of high G maneuvers for the wing to move laterally. Go to you tube and search for the video of Mac Hodges B29 crash where the wing bolts were left out. The plane went through most of the routine and was in a flat spin when you watch the wing begin to pill away from the side of the fuselage. If my memory serves me correct, this is with NO bolts put in the wings and NO struts to hold the wing in place. As others have stated, most of my planes are designed with this system and all I do is a simple snug of the bolt. For me, it's still difficult to see how the wing can slide outboard enough on the tube for the pins to become disengaged if the struts are properly attached. In your analysis of the crash, do you think you may have overlooked another possible cause somewhere else?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so you are telling me i have to check all there designs. And I have to eat it because they hireΒ* poopy designers thatΒ* dontΒ* have a brain that functions well ???
    Absolutely.

It's just another BARF.

When will you guys ever learn? BARF=rubbish. There is not one in the world that can be put into service without re-engineering and rebuilding prior to use if you want to prevent this sort of thing.

Would you accept that kind of crap when you purchase a new (take your pick, other than a BARF)? I doubt it. So why do you keep buying these things? As long as you do., that's the level of quality that you'll get.

Live and learn. BARFs are built to a price - to generate a profit. That means leaving things out and doing things on the cheap to maximize profits. And you, the unwitting consumer, loses.

So sad, too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

$135.00 was for packing of 2 boxes.. Seems high doesnt it?Horizon paid the shipping of 2 boxes at $30.00per box =$60.00 and I paid foe 2 boxes they wraped it at $65.00 for first box and $60.00 for second box plus tax was $135.79 just for the packing. So $135.79 plus $60.00for shipping is total of $195.79. Dam whats this world coming To

So you are saying you didn't save the boxes it came in? I even saved the boxes my throw away $120 RTF foamie came in.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,

I Understand your frustration Comanche. That stinks, and I am sorry for your loss. Horizon should do something for you, but the fault is not entirely Horizon's.

Like with any well manufactured ARF, there are things that need to be changed, and things that are outright not sufficient to fly.

Great example.

Great Plains makes BEEFY ARF's as compared to Horizon's Hangar 9. Hangar 9's quality is superb, but they tend to lack in the beef department and usually require a bit more care when handling.

My personal example is the Giant Super Sportster (which was my choice or replacement when I crashed my H9 Taylorcraft for doing hammer heads too close to the ground, too tail heavy).

They rate this airframe as a 32cc airframe.

The tail comes COMPLETELY unsupported. The tail wheel is lacking at best. The area just forward of where the stock tailwheel is installed is very lacking in beef, required 3/8" aircraft ply and about a half ounce of epoxy to beef up. The linkages that come with the airframe are BARELY sufficient for glow power. There are videos available on YouTube that show, in flight BTW, that the linkages oscillate with the vibes of a DLE 30. But best of all, with a gas engine the manual says to use CA hinges. AMAZING. Totally not good....here is the actual run down.

The ARF cost was 350. Linkages made of Carbon Fiber and Titanium ends = $36. Sullivan Tail Flying Wire kit = 33 from LHS, Dubro Inflatable Wheels, 4.5" = $22, Heavy Duty Tail Wheel = 30, Great PLanes bulk pack medium pinned hinges (ailerons) 8.50. Robart Bulk pack of 3/16" hinges and drill jig= $22 from LHS. Gasoline stopper = 3. So, the math comes out to...just about 550 for the ARF built with necessary upgrades. NOT including the engine or radio system.

The responsibility is on you to make it withstand the type of flight you will be using. This was in the manual for the GSS, as well.

After all, I am sorry for your loss. I know the pain. Get a Giant Super Sportster if Horizon wont help you out. You'll love it. I do .

Best,

Chris

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast