Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Taylorcraft crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:45 PM
flyallday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Taylorcraft crash

You paid someone elese to pack a totaled plane into boxes? Everything is clear now.

Harry
Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

Well Said Harry!

ORIGINAL: flyallday

You paid someone elese to pack a totaled plane into boxes? Everything is clear now.

Harry
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Gentlemen,

My experience with Horizon has been anything but positive. I bought a J3 Cub (electric) from my LHS. Got it home, did a parts inventory and found out it was missing a couple of parts. Nothing big but they should have been there. Sent an e-mail and followed up with a phone call to them. The very nice gentlemen told me those parts are not available (it was a brand new kit, a .40 sized J3 electric Cub) and that I was out of luck... that was the last time I bought or dealt with anything that says Horizon on it.

I hope you experience with them goes better than mine.
Pete
Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hello
sorry to hear that but in arfs there are a lot of fixes from the top plane makers to the little plane makers i have 2 gaint rv-4s from great planes that needed some toughing up on the wing jionts to the firewall with tri stock and my 2 new airboure 40 size high wings flat bottom wing planes ,we been flying them now for 4 months so we started to tune them up clean and check set the toe in on the wire gear and when we pull the wire out of the body the gear block came out clean saw a line of what i thing is hot glue so i call them and he said well at lease u got it before it broke so i expouy them in and tri stock inside ,WHAT DO U EXSPET THEY ALL COME FROM CHINA if you call them they should help u and i would look up on rc universe for that plane and see if others have that trouble good luck and remenber check all of the joints on arf's ,rye
Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
willig10

I had the 2 piece wing Arf version. Never had any issues with my plane the wing bolts although nylon were never a problem and the plane did mild to wild aerobatics. This plane does take some careful preflight with the strut pins and wing bolts. If you knew the bolt was only grabbing 4 threads you should have replaced the bolts or contacted Horizon. My 2 pennies worth

Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Mr Coffee

Good Evening,
I have read every post on this thread and i suspect that Horizon is not going to do much for you.

- Allan
Old 07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy trying to read some of these response's is like trying to read the Chinese instructions that come with their arfs. Sorry for the loss but Ialways modify and reinforce my arfs. Nothing wrong with a nylon bolt, it has saved a wing or 2 in some less than steller landings. That's why they use them better the bolt shear in a crash than hold like a rock and rip the fusalage apart.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:48 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

allans right the warrenty ends as soon as she take off unless a lot of people have that trouble there is strenght in numbers dont fell bad it wont be your last loss i been training my son scines the end of last year to this time and lost three trainers two totaled one repairable now he flys better then me you know us old guys high and slow hes every were lol but it got him to do something with dad and i am a happy camper now hes moving up to the gold berg chipmunk i had for 10 years got her ready for this weekend and if we loss her o well its part of the hobbie good luck dont let it get u down i been flying for 15 years and lossed 6 total and 4 repairable enjoy and happy landings
Old 07-05-2012, 06:00 PM
the pope

How are people supose to check for things that are under the covering ? If you had to rip the covering off every plane before its first flight , well its no longer a arf , it defeats the purpose . Its not our fault there dishing up stuff thats not up to it but if we keep taking it up the rear things wont change . Being a b.n.f. they advertise just add a rx and go fly so if you have to do more than that there full of it and they should be held accountable . You might be lucky and they will do something but luck shouldnt have anything to do with it , I say man up and give this guy a new plane . If they play hard ball say youll take them to the small claims court , Theyll luv that free publicity . Lets start a new movement for those that have been shafted , forget the G.F.C. this is far more important than that , and if it did kill someone why is the flyer held totally responsible . Maybe someone with a legal back ground could chime in here. If your driving down the road and your car loses a wheel and mounts the kerb and squashes someone because of a manuf. defect I couldnt see that person going to jail . The pres. of the motor company wouldnt either there there way to smart for that . Cheers the pope
Old 07-05-2012, 06:05 PM
bw5493
My Feedback: (36)

I have had a Sig Kadet sr ARF wing blow up in flight, Sig replaced the kit because I was able to shoot a pic showing no glue on the main spar and shear webs. I had a Hanger9 Cap 232G where the rudder servo tray separated in flight and the aircraft was lost because the rudder went hard over and stuck, Horizon didn't replace the kit, and I lost a great 50cc engine too. So, you take your chances I guess, or you can go back to building from kits and plans, which makes you a model builder, not an arf assembler. We suffer to much from the gotta have its, and are not willing to pay the price to truely build an aircraft. So really, you have yourselves, as do I for the above mishaps because we bought arfs. I have gone back to building my own planes. Yep, it takes a little longer, but in the end you wind up with a better product.
GET OFF THE COUCH, AND GO BUILD! Thats the mentality I had to take with myself, and you can do it too. I can crank out a kit like a 4star in about 2 weeks start to finish..is that really that much longer...really. Freaking be honest..lazy sucks! With the new kit cutters like LDS, Precision cut kits, Manzano, you cant beat the quality, and the kits go together without glue, and the fit and finish is awesome
Old 07-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Hello,

Whats so hard about changing the bolts after several flights. The're cheap from Lowes or Home Depot. I've never had a failure and carry several spares just in case. Oh! I build my own stuff maybe that's it...

Rick
Old 07-05-2012, 06:38 PM
comanche260c

YEAHguy I put a wrecked plane in a box and paid $135.000 to have it wrapped what would you you do wise guy go cry in a corner or not man up to there mistakeI did as I was directed to do just for the record. And I didnt know the bolt was grabbing on only 5 threads untill I inspected it after the crash. Everybody thinks they know everything but guess what you only think you do.Lets see who the smart guy is in the end
Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: comanche260c

YEAHguy I put a wrecked plane in a box and paid $135.000 to have it wrapped what would you you do wise guy go cry in a corner or not man up to there mistakeI did as I was directed to do just for the record. And I didnt know the bolt was grabbing on only 5 threads untill I inspected it after the crash. Everybody thinks they know everything but guess what you only think you do.Lets see who the smart guy is in the end
Now it's 5 threads?
All this on a plane purchased in 2011? I'll bet this ordeal just cost you $135 more and now you don't even have whatever is left of your plane to rebuild!
I have never, not once in 32 years in the R/C hobby ever crashed something half a year AFTER I bought it and expected someone to do something about it. I think you're a little adventerous here.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 PM
jamie
My Feedback: (2)

i still think the wing was stressed. plus you said you flew it 5 times. without any problems . this is why we pay high prices because you have people that wont blame themselfs. i think its your problem not the company.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 PM
comanche260c

yeah bought in sept   so what  waited  1 year to get in  local club that opened field in april this year  and after that  had to get checked out before  I could fly.   That has no factor here of when i bought the plane. I only had plane to field 3 times just enough  for threads to wear out. and  yes 4 or 5 threads in wing nut.why you really think thats enought  ? come on what happened to redundancy..I been a pilot  of full scale for 40 years  and have owned my own FULL SCALE plane since i was 20  and a business owner for over 32years. Im not some kind of  a dummie here now
Old 07-05-2012, 07:37 PM
comanche260c

Guess  im just fighting for whats right  I take after myGREAT Grandfather Steven Hopkins one of 102 that came over on the mayflower that landed on plymouth rock.Now he was a real man. God bless you GRAND PA
Old 07-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Neverlost1
My Feedback: (1)

The problem I see is how to prove it was mechanical failure and not pilot error. How do you prove that the bolt stripped out while in flight? They will say it stripped out when you crashed , or you never tightened it to begin with, or over tightened and stripped it when you installed it. If there are others with the same complaint, maybe they will do something, otherwise, I think you are out of luck.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<xml><w:worddocument><w:view></w:view><w:browserlevel></w:browserlevel></w:worddocument></xml><xml><w:latentstyles latentstylecount="156" deflockedstate="false"></w:latentstyles></xml><style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

""Well nylon bolt srtippedand caused wing to seperate a bit from fusalage""

No, the bolt didn't strip, you cross threaded it and cut the threads. You can not pull a 1/4-20 nylon bolt out of a nut with more than three turns into it, it will pull the bolt in half. Cross threading, IE trying to start the bolt at an angle and then continuing to "drive it home", will. A nylon bolt that will screw into a nut with your fingers is gong to hold, even with a loose fit on the threads. Finger tighten, then go maybe a half or 3/4 turn at the most and you are good. Nylon stretches like crazy, so if you keep tightening it, it approaches the tensile strength of the bolt, and a minor bump at this point is enough to break the bolt. If you finger tighten and then give a snug. you have all of the stretch to take up shock, but still hold. If you tighten it down like a metal screw, it will pop at the slightest stress.

In your case, tough, this didn't happen as an over stressed nylon bolt will leave a nub in the nut. Your threads were damaged when you took off. There is no other explanation for a bolt to "strip". Perhaps a couple hundred screw and unscrews may wear the threads enough, but even that is unlikely after just a few flights.

Don

Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Taz_Hobbies

Im not some kind of a dummie here now
CLEARLY....

Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 PM
comanche260c

guess what  i didnt  cross thread it  and furthermore I will never use a nylon  bolt again.Thanks DON
Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Taz_Hobbies

yeah bought in sept so what waited 1 year to get in local club that opened field in april this year and after that had to get checked out before I could fly.
So you're a rookie R/C pilot?

That has no factor here of when i bought the plane. I only had plane to field 3 times just enough for threads to wear out.and yes 4 or 5 threads in wing nut.why you really think thats enought ?
No nylon wing retaining bolt "wears out" in 3 during assemblies. Only cross threaded ones.

come on what happened to redundancy..
So you're agruement now is they need more than one bolt? I thought you clear cut cause of death was 3 or 4 threads in a blind nut?

I been a pilot of full scale for 40 years and have owned my own FULL SCALE plane since i was 20 and a business owner for over 32years. Im not some kind of a dummie here now
That's impressive, yet totally irrelevant to the great wing bolt mystery.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your Great Grandfather landed in 1620? Your family is long lived! That was 392 years ago by my calculations.

Probably should not have flown with a "wopply" (wobbly?) screw since you knew it was not right before you flew.

Good luck with Horizon.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Taz_Hobbies

guess what i didnt cross thread it and furthermore I will never use a nylon bolt again.Thanks DON
My 102" Extra 330L uses them. My 54" Ultimate uses them. My 54" Super Hots uses them. My 73" MX2 uses them. Both my 71" Funtana S90s use them. My 58" GP Easy Sport .40 uses them. My 71" Cub uses them and my 54" Electrostik uses them. What else are yhou going to use, metal? Good luck with that can of worms....

Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Neverlost1
My Feedback: (1)

If your great grandfather was on the Mayflower (1620), that would mean you are about 300 years old
Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyallday

Harry
Best laugh I've had in a week

Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.