Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Am I overheating or what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Am I overheating or what?

That was one of my thoughts. Although it never crashed head on into the ground it did go through the wing of the other plane and both sort of spun into a field of tall grass. The prop was broken in the intial impact and the engine was stopped. Anybody else have thoughts about this?As near as I can see the crank is straight, and no wobble is seen or unusal tightness felt in turning it over by hand. Ihave 2 other 20's I might switch one out and see what happens. Thanks for checking in!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Epilogue. Well I finally did whatsome had suggested I do, and that was retune the engine so that it was a little richer without the cowl and then fly it with the cowl. Ireset the needles to 1-1/2 ea then tuned the low to get the transition right, then flew it for 5 min. Landed and then put the cowl on. Back up and started the clock.. 3 min, 5 min, 8min, still going up into a stall turn and idle back. On the down line pushed the throttle a little hard and she quit. Arrrgh. Back on the ground, a little more tuning on the low end and back up and..... yes, yes... go on...SUCCESS! As Ralph Cramdem would say: oh how sweet it is. I still maintained the extra clearance around the back edge of the cowl just for good measure. It is hard to believe that just a 1/4 turn richer on the high end could be that much of a difference. I really want to thank everyone for all your suggestions, especially Pe Reivers ( clever) for his great articles and advice on cooling techniques. Information that is not wasted and a all of it a good learning experience, as my buddy says, "man your dead stick landings are smoother than your regular ones" Thanks again!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM
wannabflyboy
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just throwing this thought in the mix:
based on the pics I don't see this happening, but is it possible that exhaust is being drawn back into the cowl and introducing "stale" air?
This came to mind because once I was riding a friend's jet ski and the exhaust broke letting carbon dioxide fill the engine compartment and it ran very similar to what you describe.
Probably not likely in this case but another possibility that hasn't been considered.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM
wannabflyboy
My Feedback: (10)

You must have posted as i was typing...glad you found it.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 PM
dadragon

pe has the rite idea,open the cowl all the way around the firewall and let all the dead air out.George.