Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New DLE 35

Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: New DLE 35

The DLE 30 swings a 20x6 very well, so I assume the 35 should turn the 20x8.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:14 AM
rmoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't the motor come with a prop guide should give you a starting point. its not going to turn much more than a dle 30 to start with prop for prop proubly is going to twist the same prop like a 19x8 about 500rpms faster if it was on a dle-30 thats it !
Old 07-12-2012, 05:30 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Idon't know about that the PTE36R can turn a 1 in bigger prop than a DLE30, so I would say DLE would at least make as much or more power. If you were going to remake a motor that has such poplarity becouse its cheap and power would you make another one that is just cheap?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:18 PM
rmoose

Idon't know about anybody else who has brought a pte36 -r but it is junk. wont run long ehough to test anything the ign.box is junk and several people iv spoke to who have brought that engine all had bad proublems as well... had the engine on break in stand and ran about 10 mins. after30 minsfinally got it started was leaking fuel somewere around the reed valve area then the engine would just quit running. like you cut it off . at 3000 rpms send motor back to troy built waited 2 weeks .there mach Jeff. said engine was perfect said he ran engine all day with no proublem.which was a lie i got engine back from them at my shipping cost to and from abot $35.00 bucks.started ran about 3 mins. same proublem. finally sent engine back and got a store credit. customer service was great talked to bill and traded the engine in on a dle-55. when the pte was running it did make good power about 500 rpms more than a dle-30 prop for prop. anyway just whated to let you know don'trate the pte- 36- r to anything. its a good looking motor but has alot of issues! i hope the dle isn't a clone of that hunk of scrap metal the dle 35 should turn a 20x6 with no proublem. i would guess.. the only thing i have found with dle engines is the timing is almost always off by 3-6 degs. advanced iv cked all there engines and from the 111 to the 30 are all out. of specs.setting the timing makes the engine run alot bettera good idle,smoother, less vibration ,. hope this will help some folks out there?
Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm actuly going throw the exsact same thing. I just mailed my pte36 back to Troybuilt. As it was doing everything you listed. I need a smaller motor but more power. I wonder if I could put a PTE muffler on a zdz40 and make good power
Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mikes68charger

I'm actuly going throw the exsact same thing. I just mailed my pte36 back to Troybuilt. As it was doing everything you listed. I need a smaller motor but more power. I wonder if I could put a PTE muffler on a zdz40 and make good power
Sounds like a good argument for just spending the money on a Syssa 30cc
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
rmoose

good luck jeffro treats everybody like a moren what kind of fuel what kind of battery ect. ect. i finally told him do you think i would spend all this money in freight over a battery i could of brought 2 battery id payed in freight. the truth of the matter is the pte is a piece of crap. i waited almost a mo. had plane ready to go except, a engine the plane was a g.planes edge 540 the dle 55 worked out perfect for that plane .well good luck dealing with that guy in fla. is like pulling teeth also im sure you heard your the first person thats had a proublem with this engine. id proubly say that too if i had a stk. pile of them in stk. lol... do your self a favor and talk to customer service a trade it in for a dle or something other that a pte. p.s. if you read the forms on the pte most of the guys said the muffler fell apart on there first flight or on the test stand
Old 07-13-2012, 09:32 AM
gotoyogesh007
My Feedback: (1)

Any review about this sweet little engine ?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:34 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

I'm hoping to run mine on the Bearcat tomorrow. The install is almost done.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:46 PM
rica1
My Feedback: (32)

Please give us your impressions and any figures you can after you run the eng. And a flight report on the Bearcat if you fly it. [8D]
Old 07-14-2012, 08:51 PM
rcguy59

Well, it runs. Actually, it runs quite well. The only prop I had available was an 18-8. I know that it is small for a 35, but it was all I had. After about 10 oz. of fuel, I set the needles. Yes, it started right out of the box. I got 8400 at full throttle and got the idle down to 1800 rpm. Throttle response is excellent and it starts easily. I'm very pleased with it so far and can't wait to actually fly it. Here's some pics.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 PM
rcguy59

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89663.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	1781993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87729.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	1781994  
Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 PM
rica1
My Feedback: (32)

Sounds good so far, especially the easy start. What prop are you going with next or are you going to continue with the 18x8 prop for awhile? Looks like a really nice fit within the cowl on the Bearcat. Good looking plane, how much does it weight? How about a flight report when you maiden it? Rick[8D]
Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 PM
rcguy59

Gonna start with an 18-10 and go from there. An 18-12 would be even better, if I can find one. The Bearcat flew fine with a Saito 180 but needed more power, at least for my taste. Dry wt. is about 17lbs. Nice, honest airplane. Just what you'd expect from the Grumman Iron Works.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:51 PM
MTK

I think apc made an 18x12 wide hub for the 4 bolts

I wish manufacturers produced the smaller gassies with a single prop nut. It would open up a wide array of apc props in this size range, all reasonably priced
Old 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM
rcguy59

The single-bolt prop adaptor for the DLE 30 also fits the 35. I plan to install one soon. I'll also begin hunting down 18-12 props.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:19 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: MTK

I wish manufacturers produced the smaller gassies with a single prop nut. It would open up a wide array of apc props in this size range, all reasonably priced
Agreed, but until they do I'll be running a single bolt prop adapter where I can!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:01 PM
rmoose

One would think by the time you get to level in this hobby. a prop would be the least of the exp.$ and besides id never trust a nylon apc on a big engine why distroy yourself and the airplane when is either breaks or comes off at you. thats why they have all those bolts holding it on the hub to start with.? Have you ever seen a prop shatter not very cool... im not talking crap just giveing the facts
Old 07-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Turk1

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Agreed, but until they do I'll be running a single bolt prop adapter where I can!

NGH 35 is a single prop nut engine.I have heard many multi nut hubs failed on air(broken totally in a second) but none for single nut shaft yet.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 PM
aerobear
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: rmoose

One would think by the time you get to level in this hobby. a prop would be the least of the exp.$ and besides id never trust a nylon apc on a big engine why distroy yourself and the airplane when is either breaks or comes off at you. thats why they have all those bolts holding it on the hub to start with.? Have you ever seen a prop shatter not very cool... im not talking crap just giveing the facts
The amount of money spent is irrelevant. APC makes props in sizes and pitches that are not common in wood props, especially for pattern plane use. APC props work great on the YS engines which are in the same power neighborhood as a 35cc gas engine. The multi bolt hubs on little gas engines are there so you can get that big boy look on a little engine. They are not needed in this size engine. A single bolt hub allows the use of ANY prop so it would make more sense than the multi bolt setup which creates a pointless limitation. I have used APC since they first came out. Never had one shatter or seen anyone else shatter one.

One the other hand I have seen plenty of guys break the bolts on a multi bolt hub. I don't blame the hub though, user error.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:37 PM
aerobear
My Feedback: (4)

Anyone know the exhaust port dimensions on this engine? I asked one of the factory authorized dealers a few weeks ago and got no response.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

With all due respect, I think you are talking crap. There's a lot of us flying APC without incident, and we're not likely going to have any more trouble with a prop coming apart than somebody drilling holes in a wood prop's hub.

You like wood? Fine. I like composite. Let's leave it at that, agree to disagree, and not get some off topic war going here?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:11 AM
skillet92

I have a ralph converted G-38 in an ESM Corsair and it has a single prop bolt. Works great.

I am thinking of putting this engine in an ESM FW-190. Does anybody think it will turn a Xoar 18-8 three blade? I would like to run a scale prop.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Turk1

NGH 35 is a single prop nut engine.I have heard many multi nut hubs failed on air(broken totally in a second) but none for single nut shaft yet.
[/quote]

That's just not so. Single nut shafts have broken before, often right at the threads. If you have been in this hobby for over 40 years as I have, you seen the good, bad and ugly

I prefer singles from simplicity and weight points of view. Precisely drilling 4-6 bolt holes in a prop hub isn't difficult if you have a drill press but is completely not necessary for anything smaller than about 80cc. That number of bolts is much heavier than a prop shaft extension and a single nut to hold the prop
Old 07-16-2012, 08:47 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: aerobear

The amount of money spent is irrelevant. APC makes props in sizes and pitches that are not common in wood props, especially for pattern plane use. APC props work great on the YS engines which are in the same power neighborhood as a 35cc gas engine. The multi bolt hubs on little gas engines are there so you can get that big boy look on a little engine. They are not needed in this size engine. A single bolt hub allows the use of ANY prop so it would make more sense than the multi bolt setup which creates a pointless limitation. I have used APC since they first came out. Never had one shatter or seen anyone else shatter one.

One the other hand I have seen plenty of guys break the bolts on a multi bolt hub. I don't blame the hub though, user error.

ABear,

Exactly!!

BTW- The piped OS33GT I'm using on my pattern plane turns the apc 20x10.5 and 20.5x10 props the same as the YS175 does, on "cheap" petrol. No expensive 30% heli glow fuel for me. I also have tried the 19x11 and 19.5x11.5. The 19x11 also was terrific match, but not the 19.5x11.5... juuuuust a bit too much

The soft mounted engine produces nearly electric like quietness. Terrific thrust output particularly in mid range where many gas engines have faltered.

If the DLE35RA matches that performance, it would be awesome! One more thing, guys please don't use the really large props right off on the DLE. I broke the OS in on a smaller prop (18x12) for about 4 gallons before going up in load.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.