Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New DLE 35

Reply
Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 AM
  #51
Turk1
 
Turk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 1,083
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

Quote:
ORIGINAL: MTK


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Turk1

I think apc made an 18x12 wide hub for the 4 bolts

I wish manufacturers produced the smaller gassies with a single prop nut. It would open up a wide array of apc props in this size range, all reasonably priced
NGH 35 is a single prop nut engine.I have heard many multi nut hubs failed on air(broken totally in a second) but none for single nut shaft yet.

That's just not so. Single nut shafts have broken before, often right at the threads. If you have been in this hobby for over 40 years as I have, you seen the good, bad and ugly
I prefer singles from simplicity and weight points of view. Precisely drilling 4-6 bolt holes in a prop hub isn't difficult if you have a drill press but is completely not necessary for anything smaller than about 80cc. That number of bolts is much heavier than a prop shaft extension and a single nut to hold the prop


Hi Matt, I am in this hobby since 1977.I have heard failure of singles only on ground and while tightening not flying.(Heard several crank failures but never heard fly off of the plane, only broken cranks)
But since last year I have heard at least 4 multi bolt hubs were broken on air.One of them 3W engine last month,I dont remember the size.
Turk1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 AM
  #52
hsukaria
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 3,044
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

I love Falcon props on my Mintor 38cc engine: http://www.falconpropellers.com/falcon/carbon-fiber/.
I run a 19x10 wood prop. It can spin a 20x6, but my plane doesn't have the ground clearance.
Check them out. The wood props are lighter than XOAR.
hsukaria is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM
  #53
mikes68charger
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , OH
Posts: 1,671
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

I don't see the point for a motor this small to have 4 bolts.

I have a DLE30 that I pulled out earlyer this year and it back fired at 1800rpms with a Xora 18X10 and broke off all 4 bolts.

Then this week Iwas working on a PTE36R wich started acting fun and backfired at 5k with a Xora 20X6 prop and throw the prop 30feet onto the wall of my house. It broke them 2-3mm below the hub so takeing them out was going to be a pain.

I perfer a single bolt, if it backfires the prop brakes loose but will not come off the shaft.
mikes68charger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:53 PM
  #54
denney47
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 274
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35


Quote:
ORIGINAL: mikes68charger

I don't see the point for a motor this small to have 4 bolts.

I have a DLE30 that I pulled out earlyer this year and it back fired at 1800rpms with a Xora 18X10 and broke off all 4 bolts.

Then this week Iwas working on a PTE36R wich started acting fun and backfired at 5k with a Xora 20X6 prop and throw the prop 30feet onto the wall of my house. It broke them 2-3mm below the hub so takeing them out was going to be a pain.

I perfer a single bolt, if it backfires the prop brakes loose but will not come off the shaft.
The single bolt prop adapter that Valley View RC sells for the DLE-30 will work on the DLE-35RA, if you order it with an engine they will install it for you free.
http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/a...-adapters.html

denney47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
  #55
mikes68charger
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , OH
Posts: 1,671
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

Thanks I already put it on 2 of my DLE30s and love it, some say its to heavy but I like it.
mikes68charger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 PM
  #56
llindsey1965
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AugustaGA
Posts: 288
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

the price should be 350.00 plus 65% tariffs of 227.50 for a total price of 587.50 plus tax and shipping that should be the fair market price !!!!!! that would make it fair competetion for our hourly rates , bet every one would then buy DA engines !!!!
llindsey1965 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:48 PM
  #57
llindsey1965
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AugustaGA
Posts: 288
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

8400 OUT OF THE BOX DO YOU THINK WE ARE CRAZY , SHOW US THE PIC WITH THE TACH MORE LIKE 7400 !!
llindsey1965 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 PM
  #58
MTK
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Whippany, NJ
Posts: 5,386
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35


Quote:
ORIGINAL: hsukaria

I love Falcon props on my Mintor 38cc engine: http://www.falconpropellers.com/falcon/carbon-fiber/.
I run a 19x10 wood prop. It can spin a 20x6, but my plane doesn't have the ground clearance.
Check them out. The wood props are lighter than XOAR.
The fella at the Falcon booth at Toledo last year said that they are made by XOAR. I'd think, size for size, weights and performance would be similar
MTK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:32 PM
  #59
hsukaria
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 3,044
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35


Quote:
ORIGINAL: MTK


Quote:
ORIGINAL: hsukaria

I love Falcon props on my Mintor 38cc engine: http://www.falconpropellers.com/falcon/carbon-fiber/.
I run a 19x10 wood prop. It can spin a 20x6, but my plane doesn't have the ground clearance.
Check them out. The wood props are lighter than XOAR.
The fella at the Falcon booth at Toledo last year said that they are made by XOAR. I'd think, size for size, weights and performance would be similar
I compared the XOAR 19x8 wood to the Falcon 19x10 wood. The Falcon felt lighter and has more of a scimitar shape to help reduce noise. Prices are comparable.
hsukaria is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:50 AM
  #60
skillet92
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: camden, SC
Posts: 1,133
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

I think the answer is yes but before I place the order for the Drill guide. Is the DLE 30 and 35 the same?
skillet92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 AM
  #61
Edwin
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Leander, TX
Posts: 6,199
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

Denny,
This is great. I was complaining about drilling all those holes last week. Just ordered one.
Edwin
Edwin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:15 AM
  #62
Whistling Death
 
Whistling Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Alexander City, AL
Posts: 2,584
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35


Quote:
ORIGINAL: skillet92

I think the answer is yes but before I place the order for the Drill guide. Is the DLE 30 and 35 the same?
I can't find the answer anywhere but conventional wisdom says yes. That would be a colossal screw up by DLE to make an engine so close in size and change the hole pattern.
Whistling Death is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:39 PM
  #63
skillet92
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: camden, SC
Posts: 1,133
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

WD thank you for looking. I am also, but till late next month I am in Afganistan and find it hard to call and ask sometimes. I have emailed valleyview and asked being that I am ordering props and the drill guide through them to be there when I get home. I am like you in that I believe it will be the same as the 30 witch I have 2 of. I have always just bought my props per drilled but I would like to get them with just the center hole now to have the option of using them on my single bolt G-38 if I want to.
skillet92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:16 PM
  #64
rcguy59
 
rcguy59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: tacoma, WA
Posts: 1,490
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

I have a DLE 35RA AND the drill guide. Yes, the 30 and 35 share the same prop bolt pattern.
rcguy59 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:17 PM
  #65
rmoose
 
rmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 41
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

If you get a drill guide from troy built they sell one guide that fits a dle -30 and a dle -55all in the same guide at a chep price works perfect comes with 2 drill bits and is good quality ..
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/DJ-DL30.html
rmoose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 PM
  #66
rcguy59
 
rcguy59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: tacoma, WA
Posts: 1,490
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

That's what I have, except that I got mine from ValleyView. Works like a champ.
rcguy59 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 PM
  #67
skillet92
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: camden, SC
Posts: 1,133
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

Cool thanks guys. Rcguy59 one question. What prop sizes are you using on the 35 compared to the 30? I will be putting the 35 in a FW190. Thanks
skillet92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:06 AM
  #68
rcguy59
 
rcguy59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: tacoma, WA
Posts: 1,490
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

I ran the first tank with an 18-8. Got a couple of 18-10's from ValleyView yesterday to make the first flights with. I'm hoping to be able to swing an 18-12 or 19-10. Time will tell. Leaving in a few hours to fly it. I'll tach it with the 18-10. I got 8400rpm with the 18-8 last week.
rcguy59 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 PM
  #69
rcguy59
 
rcguy59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: tacoma, WA
Posts: 1,490
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

It flew! This 35 is more than enough power for a 16 lb. Bearcat. Takeoff and climbout were at less than half-throttle. The first flight was with the 18-8. Speed was good, more than adequate. The last two flights were with the 18-10. Noticeable difference. This thing hauls ***** ! It's faster than my 55cc P-47. The engine never missed a beat and ran great all day. It's a keeper. By the way, I read 7800 rpm with the 18-10 prop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39632.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	1784296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20609.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1784297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99781.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	1784298  
rcguy59 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:36 PM
  #70
rcguy59
 
rcguy59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: tacoma, WA
Posts: 1,490
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

More pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22555.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	1784299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93533.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1784300  
rcguy59 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:34 PM
  #71
captinjohn
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hesperia Michigan, MI
Posts: 12,887
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35


Quote:
ORIGINAL: rcguy59

It flew! This 35 is more than enough power for a 16 lb. Bearcat. Takeoff and climbout were at less than half-throttle. The first flight was with the 18-8. Speed was good, more than adequate. The last two flights were with the 18-10. Noticeable difference. This thing hauls ***** ! It's faster than my 55cc P-47. The engine never missed a beat and ran great all day. It's a keeper. By the way, I read 7800 rpm with the 18-10 prop.
I had a 20x6 Beechwood prop on a DLE30 and it pulled really good. I bet a bigger dia prop on the Bearcat may work good too. With the larger dia prop,it may hook-up bertter with more airflow past the big cowl on the Bearcat. Nice looking airplane by the way. Regards Capt,n
captinjohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:57 PM
  #72
Whistling Death
 
Whistling Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Alexander City, AL
Posts: 2,584
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35


Quote:
ORIGINAL: rmoose

If you get a drill guide from troy built they sell one guide that fits a dle -30 and a dle -55 all in the same guide at a chep price works perfect comes with 2 drill bits and is good quality ..
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/DJ-DL30.html
$12.68 Shipping, my goodness.
Whistling Death is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:21 PM
  #73
rcguy59
 
rcguy59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: tacoma, WA
Posts: 1,490
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35

That's where TBM always gets you. The shipping. Bend over.
rcguy59 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:37 PM
  #74
airraptor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: fairfield, CA
Posts: 4,125
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35


Quote:
ORIGINAL: captinjohn


Quote:
ORIGINAL: rcguy59

It flew! This 35 is more than enough power for a 16 lb. Bearcat. Takeoff and climbout were at less than half-throttle. The first flight was with the 18-8. Speed was good, more than adequate. The last two flights were with the 18-10. Noticeable difference. This thing hauls ***** ! It's faster than my 55cc P-47. The engine never missed a beat and ran great all day. It's a keeper. By the way, I read 7800 rpm with the 18-10 prop.
I had a 20x6 Beechwood prop on a DLE30 and it pulled really good. I bet a bigger dia prop on the Bearcat may work good too. With the larger dia prop, it may hook-up bertter with more airflow past the big cowl on the Bearcat. Nice looking airplane by the way. Regards Capt,n

I dont think a bigger prop will make the plane fly better. he went from a 8" pitch to a 10" and was much better plane. a bigger prop would mean less pitch so the plane would be doggy, yeah it may pull well but only to 50mph.
airraptor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 PM
  #75
Whistling Death
 
Whistling Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Alexander City, AL
Posts: 2,584
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DLE 35


Quote:
ORIGINAL: airraptor


I dont think a bigger prop will make the plane fly better. he went from a 8'' pitch to a 10'' and was much better plane. a bigger prop would mean less pitch so the plane would be doggy, yeah it may pull well but only to 50mph.
Not to mention not enough ground clearance.
Whistling Death is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:06 PM.