Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:44 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: New DLE 35

ORIGINAL: airraptor

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

It flew! This 35 is more than enough power for a 16 lb. Bearcat. Takeoff and climbout were at less than half-throttle. The first flight was with the 18-8. Speed was good, more than adequate. The last two flights were with the 18-10. Noticeable difference. This thing hauls ***** ! It's faster than my 55cc P-47. The engine never missed a beat and ran great all day. It's a keeper. By the way, I read 7800 rpm with the 18-10 prop.
I had a 20x6 Beechwood prop on a DLE30 and it pulled really good. I bet a bigger dia prop on the Bearcat may work good too. With the larger dia prop,it may hook-up bertter with more airflow past the big cowl on the Bearcat. Nice looking airplane by the way. Regards Capt,n

I dont think a bigger prop will make the plane fly better. he went from a 8" pitch to a 10" and was much better plane. a bigger prop would mean less pitch so the plane would be doggy, yeah it may pull well but only to 50mph.
The lower pitch will give more RPM and the speed will be more than 50....for sure. Also the lower pitch gives a slower landing alowing you to make a more controlled landing to avoid prop strikes. It is worh a try anyway. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 07-23-2012, 05:18 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It flew! This 35 is more than enough power for a 16 lb. Bearcat. Takeoff and climbout were at less than half-throttle. The first flight was with the 18-8. Speed was good, more than adequate. The last two flights were with the 18-10. Noticeable difference. This thing hauls ***** ! It's faster than my 55cc P-47. The engine never missed a beat and ran great all day. It's a keeper. By the way, I read 7800 rpm with the 18-10 prop.

Sweet!! Wich 18X10?

This is my fav war bird prop with the dle30 got it on 2 birds now, and the speed and thrust are great!

I when from a Zinger 18X10 to a Xora 18X10 AND IT FELT LIKE A NEW BIRD!

With an Xora 18X10 dle30 was at 71-7200rpm after 4 gall of fuel

What brand you useing?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 AM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the Xoar 18-10. I got 7400 rpm after about half a gallon total time, I like this combination more every time I fly it.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 AM
nalby

I should be getting mine this week. I'm planning on putting it on a Bill Hemple 1/4 Clipped wing cub. What size prop should I use? I was thinking xoar 19x8 any thoughts.

Thanks Jim
Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 AM
rcguy59

Based on my experience, I'd say a 19-8 is a great place to start. I think even a 20-8 is realistic after a bit of break-in. You're gonna like this engine!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

RCGUY59, how would you compare this new 35 to the 30? More power? same handling?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 AM
rcguy59

Yup. The 35 seems to run, or at least sound better, at part-throttle. Idle and transition are fine and WOT power is impressive. Yesterday I was outrunning a TF GS P-40 powered by a DA 50. I can't wait to get my mits on an 18-12 prop to try. It's a perfect match for this Bearcat.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What is the wingspan and weight of your bearcat? That is great news. I have a G38 in my old Fokker DVII and it needs a good power boost. I think this might be the ticket. I needed a rear exhaust engine to replace it so it would fit properly.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

What is the wingspan and weight of your bearcat? That is great news. I have a G38 in my old Fokker DVII and it needs a good power boost. I think this might be the ticket. I needed a rear exhaust engine to replace it so it would fit properly.
I have an ESM Bearcat with a EI converted G38 and I can tell you it flies with authority. Mine is sitting up with a broken landing gear but the G38 is well suited for this plane.

73" wingspan, mine is in the 16 lbs range.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:30 PM
rcguy59

Mine is also a bit over 16 lbs. which puts the wing loading at about 43 oz./sq.ft.. With flaps down, pulling back the power results in instant but manageable sink. It's actually fairly easy to land.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Whistling Death

Mine is also a bit over 16 lbs. which puts the wing loading at about 43 oz./sq.ft.. With flaps down, pulling back the power results in instant but manageable sink. It's actually fairly easy to land.
It will drop right in but you better be ready to put it down or it will end like mine right now, in the hanger for repairs.
I am actually waiting till Tower gets a supply of DLE 35's in for the discount. I want more war emergency power!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM
rcguy59

That's why I like the Sierra gear. When I first put this bird together, I used a set of SpringAir gear that I had on hand. They weren't up to it. In the mean time I had decided that the Saito 180 just wasn't enough, either. I shelved the airplane until the DLE 35RA was announced. Already having three of the DLE 30's, I had high hopes. At first I tried to order the electric ESM retracts from VQ Warbirds. Tomas said they were sold out, then offered me a good price on the Sierras. Best thing that could have happened. I already had a set of Sierras in my TF GS P-47 that have taken a lot of abuse and still perform flawlessly. The Sierra gear aren't cheap, but they're a bargain in the long run. Both airplanes use the Robart tail retracts and Robart air kits. ZERO problems.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:56 AM
gade600sdi

I am getting 7,200 - 7,300 with the Xoar 18-10 on the DLE30, well broken in.

I'm using the Xoar 18-10. I got 7400 rpm after about half a gallon total time, I like this combination more every time I fly it.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:21 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone had problems mounted inverted with fuel dripping on the muffler? some of the members at the club were asking if fuel did drip on the muffler from mid rpm fuel spitting if could catch fire?
Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I haven't heard of this being a problem with the after-market inverted pitts-style mufflers.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Anyone had problems mounted inverted with fuel dripping on the muffler? some of the members at the club were asking if fuel did drip on the muffler from mid rpm fuel spitting if could catch fire?
A proper sealing reed valve shouldn't allow much if any low or mid RPM spitting so that really shouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, fuel dripping from the carb while being choked is common but really doesn't cause any problems except for a few oil stains on the muffler. This was / is common with any Pitts style muffler so I wouldn't think the DLE35 rear muffler would be any different.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:50 PM
rcguy59

I've had no problems with the 35 in my Bearcat. no problems with re-starts, either. Mine handles just like my 30's, but with noticably more power. So far, so good.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:04 PM
WI53072

Guys, I just ordered my DLE 35 today!! Should have it this week before the long holiday weekend. Hopefull I will have it installed and be ready to test run it. From what I was told is they recomend the Stihl HP Ultra Oil mix at 32:1 for the break in period. After which I can adjust to 40:1 mix. It is encouraging to hear that this little engine should run right out of the box and requires only a small amount of carb adjustment to get it right. I am placing this engine in an RC Guys Super Decathlon. It sounds like 19-8 is the prop of choice for this engine from what I have read in this thread. I am thinking several tanks of 32:1 through the motor on the ground then running it in by flying it around on the remainder of that gallon. After i expend the first gallon will it be safe to move up to a 40:1 mix like they suggest. Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM
rcguy59

Sounds like you got good advice. Did you order it from ValleyView? Using an 18-8 for the first few tanks will avoid excess heat during break-in. I just picked up two DLE 20's from ValleyView today for a P-38. The adventure begins. Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: WI53072

Guys, I just ordered my DLE 35 today!! Should have it this week before the long holiday weekend. Hopefull I will have it installed and be ready to test run it. From what I was told is they recomend the Stihl HP Ultra Oil mix at 32:1 for the break in period. After which I can adjust to 40:1 mix. It is encouraging to hear that this little engine should run right out of the box and requires only a small amount of carb adjustment to get it right. I am placing this engine in an RC Guys Super Decathlon. It sounds like 19-8 is the prop of choice for this engine from what I have read in this thread. I am thinking several tanks of 32:1 through the motor on the ground then running it in by flying it around on the remainder of that gallon. After i expend the first gallon will it be safe to move up to a 40:1 mix like they suggest. Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
I think too many make this assumption (or are given that info) and it bites them in the butt? Bad running, engines quitting leading to damaged planes, etc. If the original adjustments work out for you, great, but that would be really unusual so I wouldn't count on it. Suggest you plan on adjusting it yourself, start to finish, by the book. If you've never done it, that can be a little intimidating, but after getting through it and knowing how to do it in the future, you'll be well served by the knowledge. Just sayin..... -Al
Old 08-27-2012, 04:09 PM
WI53072

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Paul
I think too many make this assumption (or are given that info) and it bites them in the butt? Bad running, engines quitting leading to damaged planes, etc. If the original adjustments work out for you, great, but that would be really unusual so I wouldn't count on it. Suggest you plan on adjusting it yourself, start to finish, by the book. If you've never done it, that can be a little intimidating, but after getting through it and knowing how to do it in the future, you'll be well served by the knowledge. Just sayin..... -Al

Al, I couldn't agree more. I was only trying to say that it is nice that from what I had heard the engine will run right out of the box. I have heard so many stories about engines that wont run or barely run out of the box. I feel, if it at least it will start then I have a good chance of getting through the initial set-up and fine tuning.

Paul
Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 PM
WI53072

Sounds like you got good advice. Did you order it from ValleyView? Using an 18-8 for the first few tanks will avoid excess heat during break-in. I just picked up two DLE 20's from ValleyView today for a P-38. The adventure begins. Let us know how it goes for you.
RC,

Thanks for the prop advice. Yes i got the engine from Valleyview. Tammy is going to expidite it so it arrives before the upcomming long holiday weekend. The cost to do that...nothing!!! Very good customer support at Valleyview RC.

Is there a good thread that goes through the basic adjustments/RPM ranges do's and dont's with the DLE engines?? Valleyview suggests the Stihl 2 cycle oil mix and suggest 32:1 to begin with. What i was unable to ascertain was how many tanks to run at the 32:1 mix?

Thanks!

Paul
Old 08-27-2012, 08:06 PM
rcguy59

For the 20cc, forever. Just stick with 32:1. Smaller engines need more oil in the fuel to offset the lower fuel (and oil) flow.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 PM
rcguy59

Sorry, I had the DLE20 in mind. For the 35, a gallon or so of 32:1 should be enough, then you can go to 40:1 synth.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Is there a good thread that goes through the basic adjustments/RPM ranges do's and dont's with the DLE engines?? Valleyview suggests the Stihl 2 cycle oil mix and suggest 32:1 to begin with. What i was unable to ascertain was how many tanks to run at the 32:1 mix?

Thanks!

Paul
Have you read through the "rookie" sticky at the top of the "engine" topic? There's a ton of different ideas there you might want to skim through if you haven't. Lot's of stuff that make sense you may not have considered. I THOUGHT there was a section that included how to adjust your carb, but all I see after looking through it are a few tuning notes, nothing very comprehensive that takes you from the point where you set the needles to 1.5 turns and takes you from there.

I can tell you that there is nothing unique about tuning your new engine. It tunes the same as the rest of these engines, so if you run across something that makes sense to you, go for it!

Meanwhile, maybe somebody can post a link that might lead you to something more specific, related to getting that engine tuned?

Worst case, send me a PM with your email. I'll send you a couple links found on other sites. The mods frown on posting info like that here.

Mods - Can't believe we don't have that info in the rookie section already?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.