Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New DLE 35

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New DLE 35

as far as tuning get engine running let run about 10 mins then open throttle wide open and ajust high end first to max rpms like a glow engine. once you start leaning out engine it will start slowing down, then backup screw it max rpms are back then richen it abot to a 200 rpm drop rich side your done with that. then idle down to about 1700 and wait 5 sec, gag throttle open if engine stalls or hesitates its to lean on the low endONLY turn screw openthesame with of the screwdrive slot at a time. folks have ahabit of turning screws to much they are very senstive....repeat till engine has no hesitation or stumble form idle to wide open no matter how fast tyou gag it and your set , under any reason NEVER I REPEAT NEVER force screws tight all the way closed if your wainting to reset to factory setting. if you do go ahead and order your self another carb cause you just runnied that one ... good luck and happy flying

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why do you want to back it off to lose 2-300rpm? Its not a glow engine! Set the high speed needle for maximum rpm and leave it there!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Why do you want to back it off to lose 2-300rpm? Its not a glow engine! Set the high speed needle for maximum rpm and leave it there!!!
    I do that for a few reasons. The first is because the engine is going to unload in the air. Next is because I would much rather have the engine on the rich side for reliability purposes, knowing the likelihood/potential for a lean engine to quit is greater when compared to a rich one. Last, this is a ground adjustment I KNOW I'm very likely going to have to change. I'd much rather sneak up on optimum tune from the rich side....

That's me though, FWIW. -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

one needs to richen high side ajustmentabout 200 rpm to 300rpm because engine will still lean out when unwinding during flight if to lean engine will get hot andpossibly sieze. and you sure dont what the cly. and the piston becoming one. wont make for a good day. and a very costly one as well. a gas engine slinging a 19x8 proparound 8000 if it suddenly stops . besides running the engine the prop bolts like on a dle will proubly shear off and chunck the prop and spinner. possibly even break the crank. bend the rod ect. list of damage can go on and on

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plus 1 for a bit on the rich side (unless you're in a race!).
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

That's why I like the Sierra gear. When I first put this bird together, I used a set of SpringAir gear that I had on hand. They weren't up to it.
    rcguy - which SpringAir gear part number did you use in this plane? What were the specific problems you saw with them?

thanks

Ed
    \"there are fighters and there are targets\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know the part # of these retracts. They're probably 20 years old. The main problem lies in the length of the leg. It bent very easily and would wedge the tire in the well, refusing to come back down when needed. I got WAY too much belly-landing practice. The retracts themselves were adequate, (barely) but the internal spring was a bit weak. The Sierras have been flawless and really let me enjoy flying this brick without worrying about the gear.
    Jet Central Superbee & Rabbit
    18MZ FASSTest for everything I fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry chaps but the leaning out of a pumped petrol engine carburettor "once it unloads" is hogwash. This is glow engine thinking and it does NOT apply to a petrol engine.

Rich running engines are not more reliable than a slighly lean engine. It may run a few degrees cooler. If there petrol, air and spark it will fire....simple as that.

Lastly how in heck is gaining altitude in flight it going to change the mixture significantly? Air is a lot less dense than water so it does not change barometric pressure significantly every 10m  altitude gained.

tuning these things is so simple. allow for 30sec to warm up and open up to WOT and set the high speed needle for peak rpm.
    Then ease back on the throttle till its starts to pop and miss (4 stroke) and lean the LOW sped needle till it goes away, then ease back on the throotle again till the next 4 stroking point is reached and lean the LSN again till it stops. repeat till you get to idle. Check for transition through the rev range and anywhere it feels lean, richen back up a little, or if it still 4stroke, lean further. Work you way back up to WOT and then again ease back on the thottle. If no 4 stroking occurs then its good to go but its likely it will still have a spot somewhere in the rev range where it will briefly 4 stroke.

forget your glow engine thinking with petrol engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rich running engines are not more reliable than a slighly lean engine. It may run a few degrees cooler. If there petrol, air and spark it will fire....simple as that.
    Sorry TimBle. Though we agree on many points, these may become sticking points. In my experience a lean engine is far more likely to quit compared to a rich one - even though it is being fed a steady diet of petrol, air and spark. Though given that's true in the most basic sense, these commodities must be delivered in the proper proportion for an engine to continue running.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sounds good chap but your forgeting many things? what ever happen to wind drag and the load on the engine. due to the weight of the aircraft plus the speed of the aircraft. and who said anything abour baro. pressure?so your saying that a engine turns the same rpms on the ground as it does in a 100 mph. in adive WRONG ! you.run your engines lean and see what happens when they suddenly lock up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will add my two cent's here. Past experience with engine's, at the very least, running lean can burn a hole in the piston from excessive heat at detination.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: acerc

I will add my two cent's here. Past experience with engine's, at the very least, running lean can burn a hole in the piston from excessive heat at detination.
    then that is to lean then.

tune it like Tim said. i have never ran these rich on the ground so they are just right because they unload in the air. that is just silly. its a pumped engine. on you glow engine with a pump did you max it out then richen it so it could be just right when it unloads. lol no you didnt. so why would do the same here.

Most guys have to have their engines on the rich side because they dont know how to cool these engines correctly so they have to run the on the rich side to help with cooling.
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Most guys have to have their engines on the rich side because they dont know how to cool these engines correctly so they have to run the on the rich side to help with cooling.
    Use the reason you prefer to do so, but it's not going to change my belief a rich engine is far more likely to be running when it lands than a lean one? My understanding is we're talking about the first flight after ground tuning right? Launching a couple hundred rpm. rich of max rpm?? Not the final adjustment that's resulted from many flights, and potentially a few "tweaks" of the adjustment screw?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry chaps but the leaning out of a pumped petrol engine carburettor "once it unloads" is hogwash. This is glow engine thinking and it does NOT apply to a petrol engine.

Lastly how in heck is gaining altitude in flight it going to change the mixture significantly? Air is a lot less dense than water so it does not change barometric pressure significantly every 10m altitude gained.

tuning these things is so simple. allow for 30sec to warm up and open up to WOT and set the high speed needle for peak rpm.
    Then ease back on the throttle till its starts to pop and miss (4 stroke) and lean the LOW sped needle till it goes away, then ease back on the throotle again till the next 4 stroking point is reached and lean the LSN again till it stops. repeat till you get to idle. Check for transition through the rev range and anywhere it feels lean, richen back up a little, or if it still 4stroke, lean further. Work you way back up to WOT and then again ease back on the thottle. If no 4 stroking occurs then its good to go but its likely it will still have a spot somewhere in the rev range where it will briefly 4 stroke.

forget your glow engine thinking with petrol engines.
    Here is yet another way to tune a engine after break-in.

Warm the engine up a bit and adjust the HI-speed untill you get max RPM and then richen it to just starting to drop RPM(about 50 RPM or so). Set the idle mix so the engine does not stumble on a quick opening of the throttle. Fly your airplane a bit and if it sounds good make a couple of hi-speed passes and kill the engine in flight and glide it too a landing. Most airplanes will land easy with engine dead if you set up your landing approach right.
    The idea is to stop the engine in flight and land for that important sparkplug check too see if the Hi-speed mix is set correct. The sparkplug should be a tan color. If white or the mix is too lean. If real dark ...the mix is too rich. Give it a try...you got too know if you can land that bird on a dead stick anyway.
    I never met a engine I did not like !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

anyway you all tune your engine as you please we can disgree all night 200 rpm richis the setting on the high side. but we seem to have a big know it all war here .that rich mixtureis the way my engines runperfect.and i work on alot of engines for other folks i just finished a set ofdle-55 to go on a yellow aircraftp-38 lighting one runing clockwise and one running counter clockwise. with 3 bladed props one pusher and one pulling anyway good luck i have nothing else to say about tuneing carbs i know what im doing! this room is about the new dle-35 not a he said she said 200rpm hackering chat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Free Rcexl Opto gas kill switch, CM6 spark plug and Black switch with charge jack and fuel dot included with engine purchase! makes it a pretty god deal. should be a Monster.
    Club Saito Member #1
    AMA# 542304

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SigMan

Free Rcexl Opto gas kill switch, CM6 spark plug and Black switch with charge jack and fuel dot included with engine purchase! makes it a pretty god deal. should be a Monster.

where??
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone still not believing the price of this engine isn't going to drop once the pipeline fills up?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Supply and demand. No more demand no more overpriced.
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 30 is staying so its unlikely the price on the 35 will drop. Its not replacing the 30...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ValleyViewRC Is selling 35's as fast as they can get them. While I agree that the engine is a bit pricey, don't hold your breath waiting for it to come down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some photos a friend took of my Bearcat in action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yv66292.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	1798035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gc91346.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	1798036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di98662.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	1798037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh13816.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	1798038  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Club Saito Member #1
    AMA# 542304

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey ya fellas, I caught your thread on the DLE 35 and wanted to show you the newest project Troy Built has me working on. I have one of their 71 inch Mustangs with the DLE 35. We flite metaled the stang, installed a Keleo custom exhaust and are using a 17 inch 4 bladder. We also installed a Dynamic Balsa Cockpit kit. Thought I might share a few pics and some results once we get her breathing some fire.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk27316.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	1803075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12434.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	1803076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx61682.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	1803077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ke91680.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	1803078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ju14135.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	1803079  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ar99459.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	1803080  

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast