Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New DLE 35

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New DLE 35

Beauty!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rmoose

anyway you all tune your engine as you please we can disgree all night 200 rpm richΒ*is the setting on the high side. but we seem to have a big know it all war here .Β*that rich mixtureΒ*is the way my engines runΒ*perfect.and i work on alot of engines for other folks i just finished a set ofΒ*dle-55 to go on a yellow aircraftΒ*Β*p-38 lighting one runing clockwise and one running counter clockwiseΒ*. with 3 bladed props one pusher and one pulling anyway good luck i have nothing else to say about tuneing carbs i know what im doing!Β* Β*this room is about the new Β*dle-35 notΒ* a he said she saidΒ* 200rpm hackering chat
    Well, no smaller authority on engines than Clarence Lee has a rather enlightening quote in his latest MAN article. He sez to tune ANY engine, glow gas, doesn't matter, ever so slightly rich. I agree with Mr Lee and with Moose.

Besides, Gas engines have a built in indicator called the spark plug. You may want to check it every few gallons to see how well the spark plug is doing. You don't want black and sooty and you don't want white-grey. A nice tan-brownish color works well for me
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rich information, and I lean in your direction! Slightly rich on the high needle and low needle with good transition I believe he said.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Condor060

Hey ya fellas, I caught your thread on the DLE 35 and wanted to show you the newest project Troy Built has me working on. I have one of their 71 inch Mustangs with the DLE 35. We flite metaled the stang, installed a Keleo custom exhaust and are using a 17 inch 4 bladder.Β* We also installed a Dynamic Balsa Cockpit kit. Thought I might share a few pics and some results once we get her breathing some fire.

Is there a reason why the exit of the exhaust (4th picture) is pointing towards the carb?
    If you think you can or think you can\'\'\'\'t, you\'\'\'\'re right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In order to attach to the scale exhaust stacks.
    Jet Central Superbee & Rabbit
    18MZ FASSTest for everything I fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We ran the motor today. 5400 RPM with the 4 bladder and 30 to 1 fuel. We got 24 lbs of thrust and expect the build to come in at 16. This should be fun

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys,

what is the "trick" to getting the spark plug wire hooked onto the spark-plug?? [] Something sem wrong or?? The wire just wont go on far as I can tell. Maybe I am missing something??
    Wonder Rather Than Doubt, Is The Root Of All Knowledge.
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #20
    P51 Mustang Brotherhood #30

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

fits tight just push and give a little twist tt will pop on ! as it is taken on and off will get a little easyer. i use a flat screw drive to remove but you dont waint to force it or break fins in the engine. just new i throught i was going to break the socket the first time i snaped mine on p.s if spring pops out the big end goes in first. use a small pocket screw driver to seat sprig in cap really don't have to have it in there just a ex. ground ===hope this helps

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: WI53072

Guys,

what is the ''trick'' to getting the spark plug wire hooked onto the spark-plug?? [] Something sem wrong or?? The wire just wont go on far as I can tell. Maybe I am missing something??
    On the leading end of the boot there is a spring clip that closes the boot once it is on the spark plug. When the spring clip is seated, the boot is closed and you would have a heck of time trying to insert the boot on the plug. You will need to remove the clip, insert the boot and then move the clip down to close the boot.

OR...you can do what I do. I throw the spring clip away and use a piece of silicone rubber o-ring in its place. The rubber "gives" when you insert the boot so installation is no problem, yet it holds the boot firm onto the plug until you want to remove the boot.....
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How does the DLE 35 compare to the OS 33. From the specs it looks like the DLE 35 has even more power. But...specs lie.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't have a DLE35 and have not seen it run

I have the OS33 GT and that little gassie is something else. It has an appetite for really big loads and turns them with very useful authority throughout the throttle range. It may very well be the best engine OS ever made. I've been around this game for 45 years and I've seen the good, bad and ugly from OS

Mine is piped so it's not a one to one comparison. Mine turns apc 20.5 x 10, 20 x 10.5, 19.5 x 11.5 at over 7K at full revs which I don't have to use, ever, in my type of aerobatics. Any of these props will take my 11 1/4 # pattern plane OOS at half throttle.

Not just the DLE but any 30-40cc engine will do very well to match that performance. I can only hope the DLE is close since the rear exhaust config is more convenient for my pattern planes. That goes for the PTE36 also which I am just about ready to try in a new model
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm intrigued by this as well. My DLE 35RA has less than a gallon through it and is already an ANIMAL. Very impressive. It's about due for another needle-tweak, so the next time I take it out, I'll tach it and post the results. Unfortunately, no one at our field has an OS 33 that I know of. Haven't seen any OS 55's either, come to think of it. Lots of DLE's and DA's, plus a few 3W's, though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is the DA 35cc on the market yet?
    If you think you can or think you can\'\'\'\'t, you\'\'\'\'re right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    It,s been on the market for several months now .

Michel

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've heard some folks have hadsome trouble with their OS55. Yet others swear by them

I had a little trouble at first with the OS33. Turned out that the rear cover cracked after only 4 runs...it must have been a factory defect. Hobby Services took care of it after some time waiting for the part from Japan. No trouble since then. Some 11 gallons through it which translates to around 60 hours of operation... I generally use a starter for the first run of the day and after that it is easy to hand start.

I have a DLE55 piped and soft mounted as all my set-ups are, and it really has terrific output and field manners. Simple to hand start from the beginning. The current best prop is a 3 blade 20x12 Mejzlik carbon; supremely quiet set-up (piped, soft mounted and 3 blade, well designed prop). I am certain is will turn the 21x12 3 blade just as well
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Matt, what pipes and headers are you using. Very interesting!

Thanks - Ernie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ahicks

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Most guys have to have their engines on the rich side because they dont know how to cool these engines correctly so they have to run the on the rich side to help with cooling.
    Use the reason you prefer to do so, but it's not going to change my belief a rich engine is far more likely to be running when it lands than a lean one? My understanding is we're talking about the first flight after ground tuning right? Launching a couple hundred rpm. rich of max rpm?? Not the final adjustment that's resulted from many flights, and potentially a few ''tweaks'' of the adjustment screw?

It's better to be running a little rich and flying then running lean and dyeing.
    BCCHI

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AMEN ! a lean engine proubly will damage the engine .rather than a rich might burable but still have something to ajust. also the tube from the carb inside the plane is the nut .had a engine last mo. ajusted ran good on the ground every time it was flow mid. range sputtered installed tube from carb cover and didn't even have to ajust carb screws run's perfect would have never belives it but trust me it makes all the diff. in the world.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,guys
    i am a representative of the DLE manufacturer ,and this is my first time to come here.
    So hope i can learn and share something about DLE in here.

If you have any question,please feel free to ask me. I will try my best to help you.
    But i donot know that(because i am also a newer for engines, i am also learning about DLE)

Thanks for your attention and support about DLE.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First of all welcome the engines are great. well made and very powerfull .i cain't speak for everybody in this forrm but i work on alot of the engines most being DLE's the biggest proublem iv seen with these engines out of the box is that the timing is off anywere from 2 * to 7* advanced always.!when the timing is set correctly so spark flashes at 28-30 degrees btdc the engine run smoother idle down lower and vibration decreeses in half they run cooler and more relible. one thing else you should install a vent tube to the carb. on the plate were the needle and seat located so one may run a hose into the airframe make the engines run with no burable in the mid. range or top end. once the carb is ajusted correctly! the engine will run the same in the air as it does on the ground. i just finished a set of dle 55 for a p-38 lighting and iv got one of them running backwards not hard to do. have to mount pickup to 28* atdc put on a pusher prop andboom it will run backwards. really will make that twin engine project realistic plus the plane will fly better trims wont be so far out. and the torque factor balances outbecause they counter acting each other.in the event that one engine may quit running. may be able to save the plane. a little about my self i was amach. for G.M. for 40 years have a masters with G.M. and ase master certifiedhave built race car engines so working on these weed eaters is no proublem .lol. i wouldlike to see the compression ratio increased i thinkthe engines will make more power than they do now. plus will havemore torque and will swing bigger props. havent tryed raising the comp. ratio yet been thinking about it heat will go up and it will put more stress in the engine. but this is just a throught the guys whorace these engines would love that. overall you guys make a damm good engine for the dollar $ if you have any questions please let me know there isn't much that i haven't run across

thanksRob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Folks, I have a H9 P-51 1.50 that has been running a Saito 220. I'm moving away from glow and purchased a DLE-30 several months ago as a replacement (haven't switched them yet). I'm now questioning this choice in light of the DLE-35. For the DLE-30 to work I have to purchase the wrap around pitts muffler (additional cost). I like plenty of power so it sounds like I should go with the DLE-35 and sell the DLE-30 which is NIB. Not sure it will be a dramatic power difference but seems to be a move in the right direction.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi

There is no question ,................................... do the switch , 1 ) more power , 2 ) more power , 3 ) more power , .

BTW ,..................... it will fit much better

Michel

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a new DLE 30 going into my next project. The little stock can muffler I know is going to be too loud for my field.
    The DLE 35RE would be a better fit for my Platt Me109, but what about the noise, is the stock muffler much improved over the DLE 30 .

We have to keep our noise under control, like most clubs. Is the DLE35RE stock muffler going to cut it???

Thanks
    Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Michel,

Thanks for the validation! I will always agree with 'more power'! Not sure how much more power the 35 will have over the 30 but I agree it will fit nicer and not require me to buy a wrap around pitts muffler.

ME410, no idea on the loudness. While it's true that we all have to be aware of being offensive sound wise, mine's a warbird so there's an evil part of me that thinks it should be loud.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go with the 35RA. The price of a wrap-around for the 30 brings it to at least the total price of the 35. As far as noise is concerned, only a canister or full-length pipe will be usefully quieter than ANY "muffler", regardless of what you pay for it. As far as the power difference, I can tell you that the 35 will swing at least an extra inch of diameter and even more additional pitch than the 30. I own both, and both are in high-performance scale airplanes, propped for speed. If you want to bring out the full potential, install a Bowman ring and massage the reed-block. In a narrow cowling such as a Mustang, the 35 is the only way to go. In a radial cowling, either are at home. Narrow AND powerful make the 35RA a slam-dunk for a P-51.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast