Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New DLE 35

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:12 AM
Tucci454

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Meschmidt
Tucci 454.Yes, planes do have personalities and yes, they can hate you. I have 20 plus large planes and they all are different on how they behave. I try to set them up the best I can to avoid any problems and they all give different results as far as luck of the plane. Some have no problems at all and are getting old. Some give nothing but fits and refuse to cooperate no matter what you do to improve them. They teach me something different every time I take them out. They all have different expiration ages too. Keeps the hobby interesting I guess! Paul

Thanks for the validation!
Old 11-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ignition Problem

I have updated the RCEXL A-01 and A-02 Ignition Module Timing Charts that were posted earlier in this thread so they are easier to read and I added some notes to the charts.

I notice that they have changed the voltage range on the "new" A-02 module, my "old" one says 4.8 Vdc to 8.4 Vdc, the new ones are marked 6 Vdc to 12 Vdc.

When I did the testing, the DLE 35ra was run with both the A-01 and A-02 modules, no real difference was noted with my setup, but I think the engine low speed performance would be better with the A-02, i.e. more reliable idle.
Attached Thumbnails Ignition Module Timing A0-1 and A0-2.pdf  
Old 11-27-2016, 11:05 AM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know the threads on the Valley View single bolt prop adapter for the DLE 30/35RA? Website says 10mm but does not say if 10 x 1.0 mm or 10 x 1.25 mm. I'm getting the single bolt adapter so I can use a Higley Heavy Hub. I need to know the threads so I can order the hub.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Joystick TX

Originally Posted by Joystick TX
I have updated the RCEXL A-01 and A-02 Ignition Module Timing Charts that were posted earlier in this thread so they are easier to read and I added some notes to the charts.

I notice that they have changed the voltage range on the "new" A-02 module, my "old" one says 4.8 Vdc to 8.4 Vdc, the new ones are marked 6 Vdc to 12 Vdc.

When I did the testing, the DLE 35ra was run with both the A-01 and A-02 modules, no real difference was noted with my setup, but I think the engine low speed performance would be better with the A-02, i.e. more reliable idle.
I made some measurements to see what voltage the A-02 module would quit operating at.

The RCEXL A-02 module, used for DLE 35ra, quits at 4.2 Volts. That is why it should not be used with the 4.8 Vdc battery packs. It may be why they changed the marking from 4.8 V to 8.4 V, to 6 V to 12 V.

This is based on a limited sample of ignitions, so there may be a couple of hundred millivolts error.

FYI - The A-01 Ignition module, used for the DLE-30, would quit at 2.7 Volts. It was marked 4.8 Vdc to 6.0 Vdc.

Last edited by Joystick TX; 11-27-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:16 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

RBean

I suggest to call Tom directly at VVRC, he will be more than happy to help you with your questions, he is always available when I've called looking for him to get advice on anything related with his products.

[h=1]Valley View RC Sales & Order Line[/h]Phone: 253-875-6890
Old 11-28-2016, 09:41 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joystick TX
I made some measurements to see what voltage the A-02 module would quit operating at.

The RCEXL A-02 module, used for DLE 35ra, quits at 4.2 Volts. That is why it should not be used with the 4.8 Vdc battery packs. It may be why they changed the marking from 4.8 V to 8.4 V, to 6 V to 12 V.

This is based on a limited sample of ignitions, so there may be a couple of hundred millivolts error.

FYI - The A-01 Ignition module, used for the DLE-30, would quit at 2.7 Volts. It was marked 4.8 Vdc to 6.0 Vdc.

The new RCEXL Ignition ,marked 4.8 to 8.4 volts does not like 4.8 volts.Use at least 6 volts.I use the little LIFE batts sold by Value Hobbies.Two Li Poly are OK or 5NMHI cells.
BCCHI Tired old CH guy.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Joystick TX

I just bought my fifth DLE-35ra from my LHS. I checked the timing using a piston stop and degree wheel and it was set at 35 Degrees BTDC. I checked it three times and used two different methods to make sure it was actually set at 35 Degrees. Seems like the factory, or distribution center, just sets the timing by just centering the Hall Sensor pickup in the middle of it's adjustment range.

To get 28 Degrees, I had to set it at max CCW, as viewed from the front.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:02 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 2 DLE 35ra's, 1 on BUSA 1/4 scale Spad XIII, another on a RC Guys Decathlon. I just got another one, I plan to install on a GP Big Stick. All 3 run great and have plenty power, these are great little engines. The timing have been set another 28 degrees. You can't going wrong with the engines.

Fair Winds & Happy Flyin'
Rich
Old 01-06-2017, 11:41 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwrich
I have 2 DLE 35ra's, 1 on BUSA 1/4 scale Spad XIII, another on a RC Guys Decathlon. I just got another one, I plan to install on a GP Big Stick. All 3 run great and have plenty power, these are great little engines. The timing have been set another 28 degrees. You can't going wrong with the engines.

Rich

At the factory or by you?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:22 AM
jwrich

I set the first engine and the second I bought off RCU NIB and the seller said he changed the timing. Both start very easy and run great. I just bought another airplane with a very low time, flew the airoplane last week, engine starts and run great. I don't if this has been change. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Rich
Old 01-07-2017, 03:11 PM
Joystick TX

I agree 100% with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" statement. I also agree that it is dangerous to try to start a gasoline engine with the timing set too far in advance, it is easy to get hurt. I also hate to crank and crank on a finicky engine. That's why I "check" the timing on engines that have not been run before. I only "fix" them if they are wrong.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:59 PM
CARS II

Very good points.

My 35 came timed @ 39°, changed that to 28°, it starts easy and it is very reliable.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Joystick TX

Originally Posted by CARS II
Very good points.

My 35 came timed @ 39°, changed that to 28°, it starts easy and it is very reliable.
Wow, that was off quite a bit. I checked the adjustment range on my engine and I can only get 28 to 38 degrees from max to min.

Did you try to start it at that setting before you changed it? Seems like that would really want to kick back.

I love all of mine too, it is very unusual to have a starting problem or a deadstick due to the engine stopping.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:45 AM
jwrich

I am a big fan of Zenoah engines,I have G-38s, G-26s and a 25+ yrs. G-23 in my Balsa USA WW I airplanes. They seem to last forever and the weight in the nose is needed and they provide plenty power. In my last WW I plane, the 1/4 scale Spad XIII, before I the maiden flight I changed the engine from a 38 to a DLE-35Ra. I had to add weight in the nose, but it has plenty power and it will produce more power has it breaks in.
The G-38 is a great engine but it is not for all types of airplane especially the fast movers. Just bought out a guy, a couple airplanes, Laser with 35 DLE-Ra and a GP Giant Big Stick with a DA 50. I plan to sell the Laser and the DA 50 and put the 35-Ra on the Big Stick. The Big Stick is my type of airplane.

The DLE-35 is a great little engine an I am very please with it. I just hope that it will last as long as a Zenoah.

Rich
Old 01-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Joystick TX

I am a big fan of Zenoah engines, . . . . . The Big Stick is my type of airplane.

The DLE-35 is a great little engine an I am very please with it. I just hope that it will last as long as a Zenoah.

Rich
I never ran the Zenoah engines, but I've seen plenty of them at the field over the years. They are workhorses for sure. I don't know if the DLE would outlast a Zenoah. I have worn out two of them so far. I get 350 to 400 hours of flying before they have a bearing failure.

I just finished running my newest DLE 35. It was easy to start with a few hand flips with the ignition on, choke on and full throttle. After the engine ran for a couple of seconds, it stopped. I reduced the throttle to three clicks above low and it started in 6 flips. Ran like a champ and would even idle fairly well without dying.

I ran two 14 oz tanks of fuel through it. Tomorrow I'll adjust the needles to give a better low to hi throttle transition. It is okay now for break in, but will die if the throttle is slammed from low to hi.

Can't wait for the weather to warm up a little so I can get it in the air.

Last edited by Joystick TX; 01-08-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:24 PM
CARS II

These are the best instructions on how to tune your gas engine that I've read so far, easy to fallow.

It will explain why the engine dies when the throttle is opened to full rpms quickly.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...d.php?t=194009
Old 01-09-2017, 09:48 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Rich

That's not ever going to happen, no matter how hard you try.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by karolh
That's not ever going to happen, no matter how hard you try.
I tend to agree with that statement but there's certainly nothing wrong with the DLE!
Old 01-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Joystick TX

Originally Posted by CARS II
These are the best instructions on how to tune your gas engine that I've read so far, easy to fallow.

It will explain why the engine dies when the throttle is opened to full rpms quickly.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...d.php?t=194009
These are great. Thanks.

I like one of the comments about people with musical ability being able to tune engines better than those of us that lack it.

I don't really get my engines fine tuned, not because of my lack of musical ability, or my advanced age, but I just don't care to get that last RPM out of an engine like I did when I was younger. All my planes are way overpowered anyway. My main goal is that I just don't want it to quit in flight.

The musical ability not only helps with the engine tuning, but last year MAN had an article about how musical ability also helps with flying. Seems like it also translates to full-sized aircraft as well. A buddy of mine belongs to the "Flying Musicians."
Old 01-09-2017, 02:32 PM
Truckracer

Dang I have zero musical ability but I seem to get along OK flying. I understand the concept though. Maybe I should take up learning to play an instrument. Does it work the other way around?
Old 01-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Joystick TX

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Dang I have zero musical ability but I seem to get along OK flying. I understand the concept though. Maybe I should take up learning to play an instrument. Does it work the other way around?
They say that musical ability also makes math easier. Boy could I have used that in school.

In high school I wanted to play the Trombone, I played one note and the teacher told me that I needed to learn to play a different instrument, like the Triangle. Times were tough back then, not everyone got a trophy.

People like me can still fly and do math, we just are too stubborn to quit and give up just because it's hard.

Last edited by Joystick TX; 01-09-2017 at 03:33 PM. Reason: My foot got caught in the keyboard.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

To this I say simply, Amen!
" I just don't care to get that last RPM out of an engine like I did when I was younger. All my planes are way overpowered anyway. My main goal is that I just don't want it to quit in flight."
Old 01-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by ahicks
To this I say simply, Amen!
" I just don't care to get that last RPM out of an engine like I did when I was younger. All my planes are way overpowered anyway. My main goal is that I just don't want it to quit in flight."
I agree completely though larger engines seem a bit more tolerant to running towards the ragged edge than smaller engines.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Joystick TX

For sure, I've had little engines that I could swear had more RPM's on them from prop flipping than running.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:55 PM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that's funny!
Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.