Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20 question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 20 question

I have a new DLE 20. My 3rd one. It does not run near as smooth as my other two and all 3 times I pullled the plug to read/check my mixture settings the plug was full of gas. Needle and seat leaking?? Or?? Brian Smith

Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: DLE 20 question

Sounds as though you are running it too rich?

Did you cahnge to a NGK CM-6 spark plug?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Brian Smith

I started out as on my other two at 1 1/2 on both high and low needles.. I used a tach and got max rpms 8500 and backed it off to 8300 with an APC 17x6 prop.. I ran the low needle in untill the motor stumbled at throttle up and backed it out just enough to get it to transition from low to high without quitting. I have never run the DLE plugs. I bought NGK CM-6s right off. I even changed to a new CM-6, even tho the original only has 45 minutes run time on it, when I notice the plug full of gas when I would remove it to check the plug color. It is mounted inverted in a Sig Rascal 110. Thanks Brian

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Sounds as though you are running it too rich?

Did you cahnge to a NGK CM-6 spark plug?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Brian, what led up to the point where you pulled the plug? I doubt that happened while running it? Did you have a bad time starting it or something?

How it acting/what's it doing with a fresh plug in it?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:31 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bad time starting with fuel filled spark plug? No comment!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Brian Smith

I just pull the plugs on my gas engines now and then to read the plug to be sure of the needle setting/mixture. It is a fairly new engine and it runs pretty well but not as smooth as my other two DLE 20s. Surprisingly it starts and runs fairly well. Pulls the Rascal as well as this old guy wants to fly. I do use an electric starter always as I have a pretty bad shoulder and injured rt arm. I can't see any difference with the new plug. They are were both new CM-6s...Just seems strange. I have had and run gas engines for many years and just never pulled a plug and had it full of gas.

Pe. Not sure what you mean? Brian

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Brian, what led up to the point where you pulled the plug? I doubt that happened while running it? Did you have a bad time starting it or something?

How it acting/what's it doing with a fresh plug in it?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 PM
pe reivers

The plug full of gas means you either choke too much and flood the engine, or the carb fuel regulating needle leaks. (supposing inverted mounted engine). Result is a fouled plug every time!
This is so clear (to me at least), that I added the "no comment" statement.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Brian Smith

I find the gas sitting in the plug at the "end" of the flying session at home on the bench. I do have to choke the motor for the 1st flight, but it starts right up without choking the rest of the day. As I mentioned it runs pretty well but not as well as my other two. I'm convinced the needle is leaking. Just wondered what you/W8ye/others thought. I called Tower to buy a spare carb just to have one on hand, but they are on back order. I'll pull it off and take it apart and clean it and check the screen, tho I know the screen has nothing to do with it. It is a job to get it all off the model. Not like my G38s that have the carb just sitting there in the open looking at you. Thanks Again. Brian

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

The plug full of gas means you either choke too much and flood the engine, or the carb fuel regulating needle leaks. (supposing inverted mounted engine). Result is a fouled plug every time!
This is so clear (to me at least), that I added the ''no comment'' statement.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lookinng at spark plugs for color makes little sense unless you make a full power clean cut-off and then look at the plug.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:43 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

This is so clear (to me at least), that I added the ''no comment'' statement.
I'm not sure how you could be "so clear" when you could not have possibly known what caused that plug to foul? The potential for either situation is clear to both of us, but knowing which impossible to know without further information?

Brian, while pulling that carb down, check for proper gasket/diaphram orientation? The gasket should be on the carb side of the diaphram. If assembled backwards, or gasket missing, that might lead to something like what you've got going on too.

3 of these now? -Al
Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 AM
pe reivers

Brian said he had raw fuel in the plug.

@ Brian:
Setting the piston up into compression with engine stopped may well eliminate the fuel accumulation in the plug. Worth a try.