Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Why don't we have more 4 stroke gassers?

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Why don't we have more 4 stroke gassers?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 PM
michaelchow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why don't we have more 4 stroke gassers?

yes, professional, same designer.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

That china made 4 cycle gas engine looks like a ENLARGED Magnum 4 stroke engine.....kinda ! I agree it will take quite some time for china to make a good reliable 4 stroke GAS engine. I bet the first production run engines will need to be improved....just like the other china made 2 cycle gas engines...........
That looks like a dead nuts upscale copy of the Magnum.
I hope the customers won't be QC guinea pigs.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 AM
airborne2.4

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

That china made 4 cycle gas engine looks like a ENLARGED Magnum 4 stroke engine.....kinda ! I agree it will take quite some time for china to make a good reliable 4 stroke GAS engine. I bet the first production run engines will need to be improved....just like the other china made 2 cycle gas engines...........
That looks like a dead nuts upscale copy of the Magnum.
Trust me guys, the guinea pig experience is no fun that's why I said I'll pass on getting one those 38's.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Mikola

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO they don't have a team pilot they just make a test on the bench before shipping to their distributors.
they think a youtube video is enough to convice people to buy their crap engines.
I will consider this 4 stroke engine if they send FREE samples to aussiesteve or reputable pilots in the USA.
he won't even improve this engine because he has other 4 stroke engines on the way, for him the most important is $$

Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 AM
airborne2.4

ORIGINAL: Mikola

IMO they don't have a team pilot they just make a test on the bench before shipping to their distributors.
they think a youtube video is enough to convice people to buy their crap engines.
I will consider this 4 stroke engine if they send FREE samples to aussiesteve or reputable pilots in the USA.
he won't even improve this engine because he has other 4 stroke engines on the way, for him the most important is $$

+1
Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 AM
AJsToyz

Wondering why the piston was made with three ring grooves? I know the Saito glow four stroke only uses one ring, not sure about the gas, or the other companies. The NGH has two compression rings and an oil ring groove? Was this piston made for this engine or was the displacement made around the piston?

Andy
Old 07-19-2012, 03:52 AM
airborne2.4

Things that make ya go hhhmmmm
Old 07-19-2012, 05:20 AM
Turk1

Seems you have some bitter memories with Michael,have you?
Michael has several professionals to test worldwide.Also they have some friends to fly for them nearby.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 AM
AJsToyz

Turk,

It seems the majority of the problem engines come from China, I don't think that was directed at Michael. It just seems about 50% of the engines and engine designs coming out of China fail and go to the way side and the consumer is left holding the bag.

I hope these work out, I just won't be one of the ones rolling the dice to find out.

Andy
Old 07-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Mikola

ORIGINAL: Turk1

Michael has several professionals to test worldwide.Also they have some friends to fly for them nearby.
several professionals ? they get paid for testing chinese engines ? wow!
let me know the name of those professional pilots and what kind of test are they doing.....
if he has several professional pilots around the world, why does he always post on american forums youtube videos of his guinea pigs ?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Turk1

ORIGINAL: Turk1

several professionals ? they get paid for testing chinese engines ? wow!
let me know the name of those professional pilots and what kind of test are they doing.....
if he has several professional pilots around the world, why does he always post on american forums youtube videos of his guinea pigs ? [img][/img]

You may read by yourself of them if you follow continuously.I dont mean they are paid but they are testing professionally.
if he has several professional pilots around the world, why does he always post on american forums youtube videos of his guinea pigs ? [img][/img]

??? I dont understand what you mean.Firstly Chinese cant reach to Youtube so Michael uses Chinese video server.
Those you see at youtube are from us using these engines.
Did you use any of his engines?
I am.And I m happy with them and especially with support.I am a guinea pig of him.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Turk1

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Turk,

It seems the majority of the problem engines come from China, I don't think that was directed at Michael. It just seems about 50% of the engines and engine designs coming out of China fail and go to the way side and the consumer is left holding the bag.

I hope these work out, I just won't be one of the ones rolling the dice to find out.

Andy
Hi Andy, I agree with you mostly.Even Michael agrees with you on Chinese manufacturers.Also I agree that a new product will have childhood problems initially.But to call those customers as guinea pig etc. is not fair.
I am using JBA and SK Glow engines maybe since their first days and very happy with them on quality and price aspect.Also I am experiencing on NGH gassers here on friend s planes.Also they are fine engines.Michael is always backing of his products.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 AM
MTK

Wondering why the piston was made with three ring grooves? I know the Saito glow four stroke only uses one ring, not sure about the gas, or the other companies. The NGH has two compression rings and an oil ring groove? Was this piston made for this engine or was the displacement made around the piston?

Andy
I'd hazard a guess...weight savings?? (TIC)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 PM
airborne2.4

[quote]ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

It just seems about 50% of the engines and engine designs coming out of China fail and go to the way side and the consumer is left holding the bag.

....... I just won't be one of the ones rolling the dice to find out.
Well said.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:26 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: MTK

Andy
I'd hazard a guess...weight savings?? (TIC)
My guess is they was going too use 3 rings like a lot of large 4 cycle engines use but found out that 3 rings made too much drag...and probably 2 rings worked better or good enough.
I bet if one Frank Bowman ring was used....one ring would be fine. If 2cycle oil is mixed in the gas for lubrication...you want oil to by-pass the piston and lube the bottom end. With 3 rings oil may not collect where it should. Just a wild Idea !
Old 07-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Whistling Death

From Micheal Chow

" The first ring is pressure ring, second ring is oil ring, they are with different shapes and functions. third groove idea is from glow engine piston store some oil and dirt while engine running.
made a solution for supercharging and lubricating, there are two nipples on INTAKE MANIFOLD, and two nipples on Back cover. need be connected with pipeline.
Two nipples on Intake-Manifold: one is no pass to intake-manifold but pass to Walbro carb, one connection from back cover, so the pressure from crankcase to carb via this nipple to supercharge.
one nipple is pass to intake-manifold and connected from another nipple on back cover.
So, when piston move from TDC to BDC, the pressure from crankcase boost to carb and manifold via two connections.
when piston move from BDC to TDC, the negative pressure from crankcase will suck gas mixture to crankcase via the another nipple connection (not from carb connection nipple, one-way), to lubricate the roller bearing, and there is a hole inside the crankshaft, the oil transferred into cam gear for lubrication via this hole.
when engine running, the carb will pump twice for each cycle, one is effective pump, one is noneffective, and now make second noneffective pump to send oil to crankcase for lubrication via the seond nipple on manifold to second nipple on back cover.
I am sorry it is hard to explain with my poor English. "
Old 07-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Scota4570

cost.......

Here is a stihl 65cc 4-stroke I converted. The power is about the same as a G62. The airplane is a Bridi big bee. The prop is a Vess 23A. The oil is in the gas. Sounds like a flying lawnmower.

http://scotplanes.shutterfly.com/pictures
Old 07-30-2012, 05:07 PM
JariV

That video on page 1 of this thread about the Galloping Ghost P51 Mustang rc, what engine does it have ???
Youtube id is 5PnJkBl0Ql8.

I love the sound and it packs quite a lot of punch too.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: JariV

That video on page 1 of this thread about the Galloping Ghost P51 Mustang rc, what engine does it have ???
Youtube id is 5PnJkBl0Ql8.

I love the sound and it packs quite a lot of punch too.
200ccm 3 Cyl - inline - 4 Stroke (Kolm Engines) http://www.kolmengines.com

They should be going into production anytime now, as they have been flight testing the engines for quite a while now.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 PM
JariV

Thank you earlwb, I hope Kolm commercializes that engine very soon.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:06 AM
gade600sdi

Why don't we have any RC Airplane Hit and Miss engines?

We do just call Hobby King, sometimes they Hit and sometimes they miss!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL not funny

It was a real question, as Im in the market for a 30-40cc size 4 stroke. As there are a larg number of war birds out there that use 30cc, that Im sure would love the sound if nothing eles.

I was not around when 2 stroke nitro motors first came out, but Im sure it took a while before the first 4 stroke hit the market.And it seems to me that 2 stroke gas motors are here to stay so how much longer do you think it will take before the market chaces up?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

No oil pan or oil reserve for lub. Think YS where the fuel and oil are drawn in the crankcase and compressed up into the intake chamber. http://www.shindaiwa-tools.co.uk/index.php?id=141

Dennis