Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Why don't we have more 4 stroke gassers?

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Why don't we have more 4 stroke gassers?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:12 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Why don't we have more 4 stroke gassers?

Ihad to go to lowes last night and get a freaking weed wacker. I was looking at the options and noticed I could get a troybuilt 4 stroke gas motor for $60 more than a 2 stroke.

With the incresse in torq and less vibs, and from what I understand most of the early rc motors are just converted weed wackers and such, why do you guys think we don't have more 4 strokes out in the market?

I had a Satio 220 4c I was going to convert into gas, but for what it was going to cost me I got a used DLE30 and now I don't have to worry about over heatting like the Satio gas motors seem to do.

Mike
Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why don't we have more 4 stroke gassers?

because most of them are gasoline sucking pieces of junk[&o]
Old 07-12-2012, 12:32 PM
mikes68charger

??? What you mean?

If my weed wacker works great why cant it work for RC?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:59 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Weed whacker 4 strokes carry their oil in the crankcase (the one I had did anyway!). They don't use premix like a nitro powered 4 stroke. If the oil's in the crankcase and I want to run an extended inverted pass, or some other maneuver that creates negative G's, that oil that's supposed to collect in the crankcase..... won't? That might work out OK in practice, but it's not something I'll be trying any time soon?

Right side up only regarding cylinder orientation as well?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:23 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If these guys can get small four stroke to run like in this link....there is no reason why big 4 stroke gas engine will work good too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igEw0Hb1m0Y
Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM
captinjohn

Here is a strart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igEw0Hb1m0Y
Old 07-12-2012, 04:00 PM
captinjohn

Now here is a real nice 4 stroke gas engine. You guys that do not know what is available should do some searching and reading....if you cannot read much, watch the videos on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PnJkBl0Ql8
Old 07-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Note that with some of the smaller four-stroke gas engines (like the Saito FG-20, 30, 36) you still have to use an oil mixed with the gas.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 PM
mikes68charger

I ment more like a 4 stroke DLE 40 or 60 single
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they're moe expensive and require more development resourses for a company to just build them. Two strokes are simpler and cheaper to design and manufacture. Four strokes will become more popular once gassers gain more market share.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:28 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If electric motors with batteries don't replace all internal combustion engines in lawn care products, I suspect that eventually there will only be four-stroke powerplants until fuel cell technology becomes economically practical/affordable.

Sometimes I wish I had recorded the sound of the sixties Bultaco and Yamaha two-stroke motorcycles, just so I could listen and reminesce as an old man.

Another subject for an audio recording would be the Chevrolet Corvette with the early Duntov camshafts. I could listen to a Corvette with Duntov cam idle for hours at a time and be in bliss. Other unique sounds were the Buick straight 8, the Corvair pancake 6 and the DKW/SAAB 3-cylinder 2-stroke car engines. I miss them all. Especially the four cylinder Willys Jeep of WWII. I loved that old Jeep. It handled great. You could push start it by yourself if the battery was weak, the steering was just right for what it waa and the danged thing was nearly impossible to kill. Ah - memories!

Ed Cregger
Old 07-13-2012, 04:42 AM
captinjohn

Very well said ED. I agree with you 100%. Best Regards, Capt,n

Old 07-13-2012, 07:17 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

If you look at some of the small Honda 4 stroke law equipment. they use a wet sump but there are rubber fingers that spin and whip the oil up into a foam so it can be ran inverted or any other angle required. Pick one up though, and there is a difference in weight between it and it's two stroke counterpart.

And Ed The sound of a solid lift LS-6 is a thing of beauty. My friend has one in a '78 GMC and I could stand at the front of it all day. From the rear, there is no comparison though to his "69 440 6-pack Charger. It has just the right lope. :-)

david
Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 AM
mikes68charger

The look and power of this Kolm EZ67cc gas fourstroke is sweet, but its just to large for a 30cc size war bird that needs a little more kick!!

I don't really want a 4 stroke just for the sound but more torq in a smaller package.

I would be so happy if could make a 1.5 ; 1 gear reduction drive for a dle 30 just to spin a larger scale 3 or 4 blade prop. As its a war bird I don't need blistering speed/RPM but I want a scale looking prop with out makeing cuts in the cowl.

Just like the RCV 120 ntiro motors but with gas. or if they would make a RCV160 I might go back to nitro. http://www.rcvengines.com/rcv120sp.htm
Old 07-13-2012, 10:15 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

More weight and less power are not always such a bad thing. Especially for a WW1 scale model. The ability to spin a bigger prop, with great fuel economy, with the really cool sound, would be a nice thing to have. I think it would be cool to not run pre mix fuel as well. There has been much talk in the past about those honda motors, but unless you convert one to aircraft use yourself, there is nothing available.
The Roto engines are out there but are quite pricey.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:22 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

DLE doesnt have a Four Stroke yet because DA doesnt have one LOL

Mike you need to look around some on the net lol TBM has had one for a long time

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ROTO35FS.html

Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 AM
paul246
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

More weight and less power are not always such a bad thing. Especially for a WW1 scale model. The ability to spin a bigger prop, with great fuel economy, with the really cool sound, would be a nice thing to have. I think it would be cool to not run pre mix fuel as well. There has been much talk in the past about those honda motors, but unless you convert one to aircraft use yourself, there is nothing available.
The Roto engines are out there but are quite pricey.
As for the Honda 4-strokes, you can get 3 models from...
http://www.carrprecision.com/Pages/prod02.htm

The Hondas would be perfect, as you said, in WW1 aircraft, where a bit more nose weight is desirable.

I run a Honda GX31 mounted on its side on a bicycle. Works great and uses only a whiff of fuel commuting to work and back.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:57 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikes68charger
Ihad to go to lowes last night and get a freaking weed wacker. I was looking at the options and noticed I could get a troybuilt 4 stroke gas motor for $60 more than a 2 stroke.

With the incresse in torq and less vibs, and from what I understand most of the early rc motors are just converted weed wackers and such, why do you guys think we don't have more 4 strokes out in the market?

I had a Satio 220 4c I was going to convert into gas, but for what it was going to cost me I got a used DLE30 and now I don't have to worry about over heatting like the Satio gas motors seem to do.
Mike
Thosre are interesting engines. I am working on a conversion of one myself. I have it all done except for the motor mount and installing the magnet and pickup sensor.
But the first problem is that it has a oil sump, so it cannot be flown inverted or on its side (at least for very long) as the oil would flow out of the sump. The next problem is the power is lower in these engines. But it would work in something that didn't need lots of power to fly Ok though.

We do have a few gas four stroke engines though, Saito makes several of course, Kolm has some too, Moki has some and I think there is someone else who has some too.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

surely the point of a bicycle is too pedal....
Old 07-13-2012, 12:55 PM
tonyob

I've got a saito FG14, 4 stroke petrol / gasoline. It's a great motor. Uses about a quarter of the fuel as a methanol /nitro Saito, it still has premix with oil (at 20:1 ratio) which means it doesn't need a wet sump. I've also got a saito FG20, but haven't done much more than run it in yet.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:20 PM
balsa brain

There's been a few of the guys in the engine conversion section that have converted Stilhs. They have no sumps and run on a pre-mixed fuel. Finding information on the engines is kinda hard from Stilh and new long blocks are pricey.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:11 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ROTO35FS.html
Old 07-13-2012, 06:56 PM
reyn3545

You can get conversion kits for some Saito 4-stroke kits... up to the 300-twin.

I used to have a pair of FG-14 motors on a Baron model... the motors required more ongoing tweeking than I wanted to deal with, so I sold the plane and haven't considered another 4-stroke gasser yet. I would like one of those big 4-stroke radials, but I don't really have anything that would be a good fit for one.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:55 AM
dadragon

I buy the engine I want to use than pump up the plans of what ever kind plane I want to fly.like the 1/4 scale (150")ziroli AD-1 with a dle 170 twin.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:37 AM
gotoyogesh007
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: airraptor

DLE doesnt have a Four Stroke yet because DA doesnt have one LOL

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11086615 We never know some in china might already be busy with R & D, here when I say R&D when translated in Chinese it means "READ AND DUPLICATE" .... LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.