Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Old C&H ignition expertly repaired!

Good choice keeping the CH's !!!

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

this is the 100B CH setup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om32372.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	1785620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy80389.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	1785621  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: WhiteRook

this is the 100B CH setup
    I had a 4.2 cubic inch chainsaw engine that looked simular too that 100. It sure must have some power ! Capt,n
    I never met a engine I did not like !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Captin'.
    Your test ignition for your planes went out this afternoon. Please overlook the aluminum box it's in and concentrate your review on the performance of the goodies inside.

Thanks
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

gr8flyer-john, I got to get a 35ccWebraBully running(new) and I can test your ignition and then my RCXEL ignition and see what does what. That will be a week -10 days away. To much going on here right now.Best Regards,Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John, I'm having a sensor issue.. Sent you a PM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ben, give me the diameter and length of the sensor being held in the Delrin ring and I'll make you one. Easy to do.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John, The sensor diameter is 5/16th of an inch and sensor length is exactly 1 inch long. The entire length of the pigtail assembly from tip of sensor to the end of the pins at the connecter is 13 inches long. Sorry about the blurry photo but I was only on my first cup of coffee

Name:	Ca81765.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	1787902  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It'll be in the mail tomorrow.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fantastic! Let me know the price and I'll send it off tomorrow as well. Thanks, You're a life (plane) saver!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John, I got the sensor in the mail on Saturday and it looks great. I haven't had a chance to install it yet as I've been up to my elbows in rebuilding a basket case trainer for a friend. Just about finished with it now and will try to install it and fire up the engine either Tuesday or Wednesday if the relentless frog stranglin' thunderstorms ease up a bit. THANKS for getting it to me in a most expeditious manner! I'll let you know how she runs...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ben, it might be a few thousandths smaller in diameter than 5/16". This is the carbon fiber tube I use for most of that type application. Smear a little silicone sealer on it and see if it holds it. Most I make are just a tad loose so you can use the silicone to hold em in case they ever need replacing. Hope this gets you back in the air quickly.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John, The sensor fits and works perfectly. It slid right into the hole in the Delrin timing ring and just tightening the set screw secured it firmly. No silicone needed!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great Ben...
    I'm glad it fits the ring. Hope this solves your sensor issues now. Let me know when you get time to run the engine with everything finally replaced and working.

I may have some more units by end of august and a few spares built as well for future use. Started folding up some smaller aluminum boxes for the new setup with multi spark. As always, I'm flying one in my plane doing testing. So far it's been great with battery life. Getting over 2 hours on an 800 mah NiMH pack, which is a good bit of run time for my flying style.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,got the ignition that you made for me today.i was sort of surprise that it look just like a rcxel ignition,thats a good thing because it fits the same spot as the old one did.i was expecting it to look the old CH ignition with the aluminum box.
    its on the plane now and getting a nice loud sharp snap and good blue spark.i will fly it tomorrow and let you now how it goes.you will be getting more business from me for sure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad you liked the ignition. Actually I make them both ways. Aluminum box or like yours. Same thing inside both boxes.
    Performance should be equal to or better than the old ignition which was made by RCxel. Let us know how it works out.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it's raining out, thought i try this for first time.thought some might want to see the ignition that John made me. it's on a 50cc WrongWay profile..[img][/img]

Name:	Ax73161.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	1791872  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gr8flyer55

Thanks for the kind words Bass1 !
    Working on the older CH ignitions is something I seem to do more of these days. While they were extremely reliable and well thought out designs, even the most robust designs can be rendered useless in a bad crash. Took a little probing and some freeze mist but found the problems and yours was up and running in no time. We all owe a debt of gratitude to Bill Carpenter for his life long work supplying us in this hobby with the marvels of CDI ignitions.
    I for one, love the design. Easily repaired if you doink it in a crash. I can't improve on perfection, just offer new life for otherwise inoperable ignitions. CH designs were mirror image copied by RCexl a few years back, but there is nothing like a CH !!

By the way Bass1, goodies inside your returning box this week, couldn't help myself. Lol
    Trial units for your next project!

John
    I too agree...nothing quite like a CH.

Just a heads up on the differences that I’ve experienced between the CH (2006 vintage?, single edition) and the RCxel (2012, ver 2) installed on a Zenoah G-62.

Both the CH ignition and the RCxel ignition systems were tested on the same engine and in the same airplane without any changes being made to power system (e.g., same 4.8 v NiMh battery, JR mechanical switch, RCxel electronic switch, connecting leads, etc.).

Both resulted in easy starts and produced nearly identical top end performance 6,400 – 6,700 RPM. Likewise, both produced nearly identical idle performance – with the CH system being the slight winner when it could idle the engine down to less than 800 RPM!!! Yea, that's slower than I set it!!

However, the BIG difference that I’ve noticed, between the two systems, occurs during flight. Whenever transitioning from high or mid-range power to idle, the CH system is totally rock-solid and extremely linear throughout.

The RCxel system, on the other hand, hunts badly as it approaches idle speed and continues hunting throughout the entire time it takes the plane to slow to near stall speed. Once back on the runway, it idles steady. Not a biggie, but it is a tad disconcerting while trying to fly slow-speed maneuvers.

I’ve tried various gap settings on the RCxel pickup sensor and also tried altering the fuel mixture settings; however, the in-flight β€œhunting” still persists. I’m thinking that the RCxel mapping just doesn’t handle no-load conditions like the old CH can. That's just a guess on my part as I have since installed the RCxel on another plane also G-62 equipped, with the same results.

Update: Problem Fixed??? Flew the RCxel-equipped airplane a half dozen times this past week and NO problems with hunting! Tried three different props; PK 22 X 6-10; Top Flite 22 X 6-10 and a Zinger 22 X 10 all with the same result…in the air or on the ground the engine slows to idle without any hunting. Sorry folks, although I’m pleased the problem is gone, I’m at a lost as to say why.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

got a few flights on the new ignition this weekend,can't complain about anything at all.starts easy,idles great(i think smoother than the rcexl),couldn't tell any difference in top RPM's,transtions from idle to WOT seems better also.
    i am getting a better, wider spark,more blue and a louder snap.
    GOOD JOB JOHN,your my new igniton supplier.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out. I'm glad you are pleased with my work. Makes me smile all day long!
    More things being worked on for the future. Stay tuned!

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

flyer55, I made a couple of videos of the "Black Box ignition powering a Asscociated Statioary engine. It worked real good with instant starts. For some reason the video will not upload to YouTube from Picasa like it did before. I will figure it out ASAP though. Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I OWN a quadra 75 thats got a female deans plug end on the wire comming from the magnet. on my other setup on my Q100 ITS A 3 prong end . can i get an adapter that has two pronged ends ? so i can run a CH IGNITION with it .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pm me with your address and ill send one to you. Just tell me how long of a wire length between the plugs you need.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just have to give credit where it is due.John(AKA gr8flyer55) just sent a new Black Box ignition back to me. i fried the original one, i left the power on all night and after that i couldn't get any spark out of it.
    sent it back to John and he sent me a brand new one,all i had to do is pay for the shipping there and back.
    from now on he has all of my ignition needs,rcexl ignitions are a thing of the past for me.
    THANKS, John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

from now on he has all of my ignition needs,rcexl ignitions are a thing of the past for me.
    THANKS, John
    +1 ! ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12