Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Finally rear carb AND rear exhaust!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Finally rear carb AND rear exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 AM
dgliderguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally rear carb AND rear exhaust!

Well, it seems the manufacturers of small two-stroke gassers have heard our pleas, and now even DLE is offering their popular engines with a rear carb/rear exhaust configuration. They even have the spark plug facing aft. Yeah, baby!! Now we can squeeze these powerful little powerplants into the narrowest of cowls, without having half it it stick out the sides.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/DLE35RENGINE.html
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/DLE55RENGINE.html

Now if we can just get them to come up with a box mount so we can get rid of those flimsy extensions that tend to crack the mounting lugs...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50298.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1782953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ee98315.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1782954  
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM
pilotpete2

Default RE: Finally rear carb AND rear exhaust!

No joy trying to get one of those in the nose of my 2M Poly Pulsar though
Yeah, I'm really wanting to try one of the 35R's on my old QQ YAK 54 that has an anemic 26cc on it now.
I'd really like to see the rear exhaust on the DLE 20cc as well[8D]
Pete
Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Pete
Absolutely!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dgliderguy

Well, it seems the manufacturers of small two-stroke gassers have heard our pleas, and now even DLE is offering their popular engines with a rear carb/rear exhaust configuration. They even have the spark plug facing aft. Yeah, baby!! Now we can squeeze these powerful little powerplants into the narrowest of cowls, without having half it it stick out the sides.

Now if we can just get them to come up with a box mount so we can get rid of those flimsy extensions that tend to crack the mounting lugs...
Who is going to buy a 35cc china built engine for $350 and find out there ia not many airplanes for a odd diplacement engine??
Old 07-17-2012, 12:00 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Maybe you should build an airplane for it.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: captinjohn
I never met a engine I did not like!!!
You?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Who is going to buy a 35cc china built engine for $350 and find out there ia not many airplanes for a odd diplacement engine??
First off, a DLE35 is not an odd displacement considering the engine is for all purposes the same physical size and weight as the DLE30. I can't think of many users that wouldn't like a bit more power in a same physical size package.

As far as pricing goes, many / most DLE30 users opt for an aftermarket muffler anyway .... such as a Pitts type. Add the cost of this additional muffler to the cost of a DLE30 and guess what .... you're right at the cost of the DLE35 that comes with a useable pitts style muffler from the factory. Looks like a win, win situation to me. And my bet is the 35 will come down some in price as availability increases.

As far as being Chinese, well we've beat that poor horse to death and my guess is this new engine will sell extremely well.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:39 PM
skillet92

No planes. A lot of the ESM warbirds will just love this engine. I have a FW-190 waiting at the house when I get home from this dusty ***** country that I have the pleasure of serving in. The 35 is going to fit and power it nicely. If is strong enough it might even get a scale 3 blade prop.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I do not have the 35cc engine and do not plan to get one ....I do not like building airplanes that much....unless I found the right kit....maybe then! Capt,n
Old 07-17-2012, 01:13 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Pete
Absolutely!
Absolutely X3!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:48 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: skillet92

No planes. A lot of the ESM warbirds will just love this engine. I have a FW-190 waiting at the house when I get home from this dusty ***** country that I have the pleasure of serving in. The 35 is going to fit and power it nicely. If is strong enough it might even get a scale 3 blade prop.
The PTE36R is already a tried and true powerplant for all the ESM aircraft , and it WILL swing a 3bladed prop with authority. Not to mention its only $280
Old 07-18-2012, 05:56 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: skillet92

The 35 RA will be a Godsend for the ESM warbirds. You can get them from Tower, in August, for $319.00 with the discount.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:33 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death
The 35 RA will be a Godsend for the ESM warbirds. You can get them from Tower, in August, for $319.00 with the discount.
[/quote]

OR, if you are a Tower frequent flyer member, get 50$ off the listed price with the super saver coupon plus free shipping.

On the other hand, when TroyBuilt first showed the 35RA on their website they listed it for 299. All of a sudden, the price jumped to 350. To me, that's just our US distributors turning over more green backs off of our backs. Yet, if it realy hauls the mail, it would still be a good price
Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 AM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

The evolution of our giant planes was driven by the development of a gas power source. Planes were developed to take advantage of those break throughs. Bud Nosen was a visionary, marketing kits that were under powered till the gasers were made avaliable. Radio manufactors also saw the future and developed the necessary equipment to meet the markets needs. Planes will be developed and marketed for any popular new power source.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:27 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I do not have the 35cc engine and do not plan to get one ....I do not like building airplanes that much....unless I found the right kit....maybe then! Capt,n
I feel sorry for you.
Starting with a blank piece of paper and ending with a flyable model is the most joy you can get from this hobby.
Otherwise you are eventually limited to what TOYS-R-US carries.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 AM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

China purchase Continental by the way!
http://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/going...d-chinese-firm
Old 07-18-2012, 08:37 AM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

[/quote]

I feel sorry for you.
Starting with a blank piece of paper and ending with a flyable model is the most joy you can get from this hobby.
Otherwise you are eventually limited to what TOYS-R-US carries.
[/quote]

DITTO
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Seems to me any 30CC airframe would be a good place for a 35CC. Then again I fly at higher altitude so bigger motors are a must.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Yeah capt is off base as there isnt any planes for this engine. its his opinion though. I am very glad they made this engine. now if they can take this engine and increase the stroke some then have a 40CC engine for the same weight and size......... it will still fit in any plane for a 20-30cc engine. i dont know why they made the twin a 60 though and not put the 35CC cylinders on it or maybe its marketing and they will in a year.. Hint hint hint.....
Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Desertlakesflying

Seems to me any 30CC airframe would be a good place for a 35CC. Then again I fly at higher altitude so bigger motors are a must.
This engine will probably fit better in any 30cc plane due to the rear exhaust.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:12 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The configuration of these engines is just great. I with they would have come out with them first! The addition of a rear exhaust 20 would be awesome as that is already a great engine. I am the only one at my field that has the 20 and I always get asked what engine I have in my plane.
I am not even worried about getting anymore power from this configuration, it mainly means a cleaner install. The 35 is a great choice for almost all of the Balsa usa 1/4 scale WW1 planes. The 55 is perfect for many 1/5 scale, 80" warbirds. To say there are no airframes is laughable. This is one of the best things to come out this year. Along with the new 60 cc twin. Perfect for the 80" round cowled warbirds.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:36 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Yeah capt is off base as there isnt any planes for this engine. its his opinion though. I am very glad they made this engine. now if they can take this engine and increase the stroke some then have a 40CC engine for the same weight and size......... it will still fit in any plane for a 20-30cc engine. i dont know why they made the twin a 60 though and not put the 35CC cylinders on it or maybe its marketing and they will in a year.. Hint hint hint.....
Capt,n here.....I was going by the balance opinion what everyone is harping about. They allkeep saying War-Birds need a engine that is heavy enough so dead weight does not need to be added to get the balance right. If I was going to to a War bird....I would pick one that a G62 Zenoah "Lite" engine, built like the engine Ralph of RC Ignition has done. That G62 will fit in a 70 inch yak that was kitted by Carl Goldberg. A friend had one with the G62(standard) and the only thing he changed was he doubled the fire-wall. It would fly strait up out of site and he could do any aerobatic trick you could think of. That was years ago. Get a real quality engine....forget the china made cheapies. I gotone 30cc DLE....but all my other engines are not china made and it is going to stay that way.

Sure that 35cc may fit in anything....but is a Warbird going to balance with it?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 PM
skillet92

Sure that 35cc may fit in anything....but is a Warbird going to balance with it?

Well I am still going to use this in the FW-190 but I do have to agree with you there. I have an ESM Corsair that has a Ralph converted G-38( AWESOME ENGINE). And it still needed 25ozs of lead in the nose to balance. And the engine was 54 ozs by it self. But it is a great combo. When I get home I will have to see how much the FW needs to balance.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:12 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Capt,n here.....I was going by the balance opinion what everyone is harping about. They all keep saying War-Birds need a engine that is heavy enough so dead weight does not need to be added to get the balance right. If I was going to to a War bird....I would pick one that a G62 Zenoah ''Lite'' engine, built like the engine Ralph of RC Ignition has done. That G62 will fit in a 70 inch yak that was kitted by Carl Goldberg. A friend had one with the G62(standard) and the only thing he changed was he doubled the fire-wall. It would fly strait up out of site and he could do any aerobatic trick you could think of. That was years ago. Get a real quality engine....forget the china made cheapies. I got one 30cc DLE....but all my other engines are not china made and it is going to stay that way.

So you are here to just hate on the DLE engines???? Your post has no added value???
Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Whistling Death

Capt,n here.....I was going by the balance opinion what everyone is harping about. They all keep saying War-Birds need a engine that is heavy enough so dead weight does not need to be added to get the balance right. If I was going to to a War bird....I would pick one that a G62 Zenoah ''Lite'' engine, built like the engine Ralph of RC Ignition has done. That G62 will fit in a 70 inch yak that was kitted by Carl Goldberg. A friend had one with the G62(standard) and the only thing he changed was he doubled the fire-wall. It would fly strait up out of site and he could do any aerobatic trick you could think of. That was years ago. Get a real quality engine....forget the china made cheapies. I got one 30cc DLE....but all my other engines are not china made and it is going to stay that way.

You are right, warbirds do need more weight up front. The G62 lite is one of the best engines that ever graced the inside an airplane cowl. I know because I have two of them. They most definitely have their place in the world. A G62 lite will hang with any 50-55cc engine and last for a decade or more. Having said that there are times when a G62 won't do.
A G62 in a 70" warbird is overkill squared.

An aerobatic plane flying out of site is no measure of a great plane/engine combination. I had a DLE 55 in a 73" Sukhoi and it would fly at 90mph but that isn't what that plane was designed for.

A DLE 35 weights (2.06lbs) and a G38 (4.19lbs) but the 35 is much more powerful.
9 times out of ten you have to add weight to balance a warbird no matter what engine you use. 100% of the time has been my personal experience.

Saying, "Get a real quality engine....forget the china made cheapies" is disingenuous to those that might be seeking advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.