Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Eneloop batteries for ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Eneloop batteries for ignition?

The nice part about A123's is you can charge the damn things between flights in the time it takes you to drink a coke.

Wrongway RC sells harnesses that you can mount to the outside of your plane and just plug into a Cell Pro charger. Personally I just pull the canopy after 4 flights and hook up the charger to the balance tap.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Tracking a baseline milliamp useage is not a bad idea in any case. I probably will do that when I go to A123 batteries as I do now with my LiPoly flight packs.

My problem with Nimh batteries is that I have a big fleet of planes, and some of them go for a good long time without getting flown. I don't always have time and/or remember to cycle them every month like they should be done. Besides that, my storage area is inside my house, but that room is not air conditioned and gets quite warm in the summer. My last (expensive) batch of Nimh batteries didn't last a year. On the other hand, I have had Nicads that suffer the same treatment, and I have some old packs that I use for testing and such that still cycle good after 6 years!

No more Nimh for me!!

AV8TOR
The best lasting packs for me has been the Hdramax Ultra NiMh. They seem to outlast any other pac in that price range. I am talking 4 & 5 cell reciever pac,s. I may try a A123 sometime soon...I have read some good thinks about them. Capt,n
Old 07-26-2012, 03:30 PM
oldtimer4759

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

double check the Ignition unit, the required voltage is very important, I have a DLE and an RCG engine, they specify a 4 cell pack, 4.8 volts, have heard of a Zenoah pack blowing with a 5 cell pack, but my latest engine a DLA56 specifies a 2 cell Lipo which is higher voltage again.
I have used Eneloop packs for flight packs since they came out, for my War Birds with Gas engines I use an Eneloop pack for the Ignition and then 2 packs for the Receiver. I use JR 2.4 radio and I am starting to change over to LiFePo4 packs, they look like a 2 cell Lipo, but are 6.6 volts, but higher discharge rates than Eneloop batteries.
confused yet, there are lots of options and even more opinions.
Oldtimer