Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

electronic throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
thepamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: electronic throttle

Sounds like another possible failure point to me. Need to keep those points to a minimum.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:17 PM
jaav

After using cables and rods for years..I'll use the KISS system
Old 07-27-2012, 06:09 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a very challanging project. Perhaps it will someday be the standard control mechanism for throttles.. Good luck.

My real interest to let you know it was a Navy modified F-8 Crusader which actually made the first test flights.
We all call it fly by wire but technically it is " digital fly by wire" (DFBW). And is the standard today for many aircraft.

See post. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/n...-024-DFRC.html

However, a320 was the first airliner with DFBW.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My dodge ram Throttle body is Drive by wire. It has a small gear box on the drives side that opens and closes the throttle body blade based off what signal the computer sends from the drivers pedal. I think it would work but probably to pricey to even consider if they did come up with it. This is just my input.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 AM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Even in full size cars the electronic systems (throttle, fuel injection and ignition) are usually mounted on the firewall, not the engine. Fuel injectors can be considered servos. And the throttle control is either a servo or an air controlled device that is effectivly a servo. And yes, vibration is still a big issue as is temperature.

As Einstein said many, many years ago - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well that's not precisely what he said but it sums it up.
Not so with the throttle servo on throttle by wire cars. It's right on the side of the throttle body, directly controlling the butterfly. At least on my Subydoo it is
Pete
Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I would not be in favor or any kind of throttle by wire control. What we have right now with conventional servo control offers excellent reliability, actuation speed, latency and resolution. This would be hard to duplicate (at a reasonable cost) using throttle by wire if an additional layer of processing was required. Now if we just mated a servo with the carb, that would be a different situation but would really accomplish little over our current remote servo installations. Reliability would probably decrease in the process. I'd like to watch a good 3D pilot flying with a throttle link that has poor resolution and high latency!

Now regarding the current generation of throttle by wire used in automotive applications ... Every one I have encountered has horrible resolution, considerable processing lag and the actuators are very s-l-o-w. OLD TECHNOLOGY throttle cables and direct linkages worked much better where throttle feel was important. Of course the new technology integrates much better with cruise control and other throttle related functions ..... but driver feel is gone in the process.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:11 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"but driver feel is gone in the process."

Could not agree more.
Nothing like the feel of a six pack directly under foot.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:59 AM
pilotpete2

I agree, the idea of having a servo integrated into our gas carbs sound like more trouble than it's worth.
As far as throttle by wire in cars goes, it's here to stay I think. Are any cars even being made today with mechanical throttle linkage?
Pete
Old 07-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

I agree, the idea of having a servo integrated into our gas carbs sound like more trouble than it's worth.
As far as throttle by wire in cars goes, it's here to stay I think. Are any cars even being made today with mechanical throttle linkage?
Pete
Yes, its here to stay but that doesn't mean that I have to like it!! I'm sure the systems will improve over the years to come but with electric cars and hybrids becoming more common, I'm not sure the form of actuation will really matter.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:14 PM
ascforithobbies
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: airraptor

A regular non digital servo from hitec is 20 dollars or less and a digital is 30 dollars so you will have to be cheaper than this to sell it.
Most that I know who fly IMAC or any aircraft 30% or larger use High speed digital servo for throttle repsonse and good centering capability so the servo give you precise movement. Not a 20 or 30 dollar servo
Old 07-29-2012, 02:13 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Isn't our R/C systems already fly by wire? I push the stick, the radio (Computer) generates output based on predetermined settings, transmits information to receiver, servo moves surface?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:54 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Tony Hallo

Isn't our R/C systems already fly by wire? I push the stick, the radio (Computer) generates output based on predetermined settings, transmits information to receiver, servo moves surface?
We are fly by RF. The aircraft industry is looking into this type of control to eliminate all the wiring headaches. We are years ahead of them.