Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

da 120 with sullivan smoke, is this pump good enough

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

da 120 with sullivan smoke, is this pump good enough

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default da 120 with sullivan smoke, is this pump good enough

i flew my matt chapman 1/3 scale plane with this set up and there were no problems. the smoke pump was attached to the charge lead on one of the two 5000 MAH Life A123 batteries (6.6 volts). both batteries are connected to JR receiver using the EC3 connectors. this is a sullivan skywriter smoke pump and DA 120 engine.
here is the flight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Gjf3PxUto
the only thing is the function of this pump, i am concerned that it does not work well. look at 1 minute and .04 seconds. tell me what you think of this. can any one suggest what i can do to get consistent smoke trails, and not _____ ____ _____ _____ _____, i want this ____________________________
Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: da 120 with sullivan smoke, is this pump good enough

GREAT NEWS, the problem is fixed:  it worked great!! the smoke pump worked like a champ.  i set it up with two smoke oil tanks:
there are two tanks: tank #1 has a fill line and a line to the pump.  the vent line is connected to tank #2 pickup line.  the 2nd tank has a vent, that is it.  when i fill tank #1, once it fills all the way with fuel, the fuel then overflows into its "vent line" which then fills tank number 2 thru the clunk pickup line.  i had a great smoke trail.  i also decreased the pumps speed to about 1/3 speed, even then, there was still some oil on the wings, i may have to further decrease the rate.   overall, there were two modifcations made, so i do not know which fixed the problem, either decreasing the rate did it, or adding a second tank did it.